Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
461 - 476 of 476 Posts
Really interested in painting the stock exhaust a matte black, how would I go about doing that?
Really straightfoward. Just take out the exhaust and plastidip the tip of the exhaust and the heat shield. Go back one page, i posted a pic of my plastidip stock exhaust.

Do you have to prepare the heat shield at all? Clean, grit, prime? Treat it with a high temperature primer?
Not at all. Just clean the surface tip. The plastidip can handle the high temp so no need for temp primer.

Clean and Spray.

I just plasti-dip'd my windscreen yesterday. Decided to go with the smoke. Bike is obviously black and I think the Black would have looked good as well, the smoke really matches the the grey fairing pieces.

Attachments

Finally finished the whole bike with matte clear. here's the finished product. I still have to wash it, so you may see some dusty blotches on it from when I installed the fairings.

Attachments

Hmm I like this a lot. Still protects the paint but maintains the OEM colors, plus you can always still peel it off. The matte looks good.:eek:k:
Thanks. It was tough to keep clear. If I laid it on too thick, it would look hazy so I'd have to peel it off and start over. I think 3 thin coats is the most you can do and maintain a nice matte color. Because the coats are thin, I think it will only protect against faint scratches and scuffs, which is better than no protection at all.

Thanks. It was tough to keep clear. If I laid it on too thick, it would look hazy so I'd have to peel it off and start over. I think 3 thin coats is the most you can do and maintain a nice matte color. Because the coats are thin, I think it will only protect against faint scratches and scuffs, which is better than no protection at all.
Sort of like a spray on clear bra, but for the entire bike

461 - 476 of 476 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.