Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
:announcement_smilie

Let's bring the ZX25R to the good ol' USA!!!

https://www.ipetitions.com/widget/view/1242299

I don't have FB, Twitter, etc. so I hope someone will jump on those. I'll keep Kawasaki updated on our progress.

LET'S DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:multistars_smilie:

·
Registered
914 Posts
Is there even a ball-park pricing on what the bike would cost? I think the bike looks awesome, sure, but I really struggle to think this is a bike that would sell in meaningful numbers in the US market. In countries with engine size and licensing requirements it makes a lot more sense, but in the US we live and die by "there's no replacement for displacement". If the bike is already on the market in other countries, that certainly lowers the barrier of entry, but I'm sure it will still cost a pretty penny in certification and marketing. Though I'd love to see a few reviews and stare at the bike for a while, I would fully forgive Kawasaki for not taking the risk of importing it.

At the end of the day, it's a lot easier for people to sweet-talk about the bike and say they'd love to have one, than to actually put a down payment on it. I'd much rather see Kawasaki spend time on getting new riders on basic bikes, than getting veteran riders to buy their umpteenth track bike. Probably not a popular opinion but oh well.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Is there even a ball-park pricing on what the bike would cost? I think the bike looks awesome, sure, but I really struggle to think this is a bike that would sell in meaningful numbers in the US market. In countries with engine size and licensing requirements it makes a lot more sense, but in the US we live and die by "there's no replacement for displacement". If the bike is already on the market in other countries, that certainly lowers the barrier of entry, but I'm sure it will still cost a pretty penny in certification and marketing. Though I'd love to see a few reviews and stare at the bike for a while, I would fully forgive Kawasaki for not taking the risk of importing it.

At the end of the day, it's a lot easier for people to sweet-talk about the bike and say they'd love to have one, than to actually put a down payment on it. I'd much rather see Kawasaki spend time on getting new riders on basic bikes, than getting veteran riders to buy their umpteenth track bike. Probably not a popular opinion but oh well.

:sigh:Your opinion is as valid as the rest of ours here!!
I found a post on a UK blog recounting how the writer got a tight-lipped Kawi Indonesia official to quote a price that was in Thai currency. I plugged that into a currency converter and came up with about $8250 USD. I would pay that in a heartbeat if the thing fits me, if the seating position is comparable to the N250R/N300/N1K that I've owned, and I can get a touring windshield and luggage for it. I LOVED that N1K!!! It was my dream bike! But the fact is that because of its height and girth, it was difficult for me to manage at stops and slow speeds and, to be quite honest, that took some of the joy out of riding it. The N300 fixes that at the cost of instant power. I am not a racer, never will be; this would be a daily street rider for me--which is exactly the market they're targeting in Indonesia.

As an instructor, I get frustrated by the "bigger is better" displacement mentality. It scares me to death when I get students in class who have never ridden before but have already bought a literbike or a gigantic Harley. Sometimes they barely make it through class, or maybe not at all; and then they realize that they're stuck with a bike they have no business riding.:no: But I have to admit that after I totaled my N1K, the most of difficult obstacle to overcome when deciding to pass up a brand new N1K (I still had replacement cost coverage by a few days) and buy an N300 instead, was my ego.:redface: I was pretty darn proud of riding that big bad bike, and it hurt to let that go like you wouldn't believe. That's when I came up with putting the "3000" on my bike. It helped me to get over my self-pride in a humorous way. Now I say that it's a 300 bike with a 3000 attitude--because that's the way I ride the silly thing!! There's just a little more shifting involved.:revv:

Good point about basic bikes. At the site where I teach the most, we have a platoon of battle-scarred GZ250s, one Rebel 250, a couple of newer Vstar 250s, and finally, both new last year, a TU250X, and a VanVan. We have no Kawis. There are some very ancient Eliminators at some sites, and occasionally you'll see a NINJA. One site I work at occasionally has a Z125; they're cool, but IMHO, they're twitchy which makes them difficult to train on. So Kawi doesn't offer a 250/300cc cruiser that's suitable for training anymore. You're right, there is likely a bigger market for that vs the ZX25R, but they seem to have put their resources into sport/sport touring and retro cafe bikes at the moment (as far as pure street bikes, not dual sports or off-road). But you certainly won't see any ZX25Rs as training bikes. While, technically, they meet the criteria for weight and CCs, given the traction control and power mode rider aids and the quick shifter on it, it's not intended for new riders. Not to mention, you'll never get a training site to invest that kind of money in a training bike.

You know, I never would've dreamed that I would ever tour on such a small bike. But I did a 2372.7 mile trip to the Dragon last summer, and I wasn't any more or less comfortable on it than I was on any of my bigger bikes (except maybe my Shadow Aero 750. No matter what I tried--extra gel, Air Hawk--my tailbone never liked cruiser position for very long). As a matter of fact, it was on that trip that I finally fell in love with this bike! I hauled just as much stuff as on the bigger bikes. I actually have MORE cargo space on the N300 than I did on the N1K. The sidecases are smaller, but the top case is a lot bigger, so I didn't have to strap on one of my bicycle bags to the topbox to carry all my "Tree Bark Diet" food. Anyway, small bikes tend to get a bad rap. It's up to riders like us to prove that they're every bit as much fun and as viable of transportation option as the bigger bikes. And they're usually cheaper to run, insure, and maintain, and they're A LOT easier to throw around in the twisties!!!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Petition signed 👍

I think someone mentioned in another post that the ZX25R might initially be most viable here as a track bike. Strip it down and tune it up! If let's say videos go viral of the ZX25R smoking bigger bikes it might get a lot more attention and maybe demand as a street legal bike. It would probably still be a niche market and we need reviews / pricing. Some are saying it might be around $9k. That would definitely have to come down a bit. Great specs though. Would definitely love to do a test ride ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts