Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I called up Yoshimura and got these info in case it helps anyone else.

Stock (idle): 70.1 dB
Stock (2000 rpm): 75.4 dB

Yoshi w/o silencer (idle): 80 dB
Yoshi w/o silencer (2000 rpm): 88.4 dB

Yoshi w/ silener (idle): 75.5 dB
Yoshi w/ silencer (2000 rpm): 83 dB

And from the Yoshimiura JP website. The R-77J for 250R (which obviously may be different thant he 300 one) but here it is for reference:

with dB Killer: 91dB @ 5,500rpm
without dB Killer: 98dB @ 5,500rpm

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just received and installed the Yoshimura R77 on my 300. Here are the measurement results that I did myself using a sound meter.

Test keys:

P1: about 1ft away from exhaust tip at 45 degree angle, idle
P2: on top of ignition key, idle
P3: on top of ignition key, 5000rpm

Stock:
P1 = 85 dBA
P2 = 76 dBA
P3 = 86.5 dbA

Yoshi w/ DB Killer (vs stock, roughly +4 dBA for all 3 tests):
P1 = 88.5 dBA
P2 = 80 dBA
P3 = 90.5 dbA

Yoshi w/o DB Killer (vs stock, roughly +11 dBA for all 3 tests):
P1 = 96 dBA
P2 = 87 dBA
P3 = 96 dbA

In summary the Yoshimura w/ DB killer is only slighly louder than stock. Without DB killer I felt self-concious even at idle. I had to turn it off like as soon as I finished the test lol

The sound is much better than stock for sure and I like it so far. Haven't had a chance to ride it yet though.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
The Yoshi sound is mint over the stock sound, thanks for doing this test too sammy5001, very interesting to see that even with the silencer/baffle in it is only around 4dB higher than stock.

Yeah dont ride around with that baffle out, I did for a day before I started going crazy. Nice and deep tone with the silencer removed, but holy shit she is very very loud. Coppas will pick you up for that noise, just depends on how long you will get away with it before they do.

One thing I was thinking when I was driving with the baffle out was how loud it would be for somebody in a car as you go past their window at full song. One of the reasons I put it in and it will stay in, I drive both not just my bike, and know how startling it can be when a loud bike comes past your window.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The Yoshi sound is mint over the stock sound, thanks for doing this test too sammy5001, very interesting to see that even with the silencer/baffle in it is only around 4dB higher than stock.

Yeah dont ride around with that baffle out, I did for a day before I started going crazy. Nice and deep tone with the silencer removed, but holy shit she is very very loud. Coppas will pick you up for that noise, just depends on how long you will get away with it before they do.

One thing I was thinking when I was driving with the baffle out was how loud it would be for somebody in a car as you go past their window at full song. One of the reasons I put it in and it will stay in, I drive both not just my bike, and know how startling it can be when a loud bike comes past your window.
I got picked up by the cops for the Yoshi slip on my ninja 300 a couple weeks ago, so thought I'd post up some information on the whole process for those of you in Australia.

Pulled over in NSW for an "excessively loud exhaust" which was the yoshi with baffle in. (I drove past a cop in a bridge underpass). Got a letter from the EPA a couple weeks later saying I needed to be noise tested by such date or the bike would be defected.

After looking at the tests above I was confident I could pass the db test if it was only +4db than stock with the baffle in. For your information the law in NSW states that you can be +5db above stock at a predetermined rpm (whatever rpm the bike was tested at in the factory, there is a sticker on the bike with these test results. For the ninja 300 it is on the underside of the panel just below the seat on the left of the bike, you'll need an allen key to remove). If that doesn't make sense look at your manual under sticker locations.

For the ninja 300 it is 88db at 5500 rpm stock (that's what the sticker says on my bike). So I'm allowed 93db, but in 2011 (I believe) they made a change which allowed +5db or 94db, whichever is higher. So I was actually allowed 94db for the test. Therefore if you're bike was say 93db at 5500rpm stock, you would be allowed 98db.

So having +6db of room I thought I'd definitely pass. Took it to a testing station and got it tested. Did not pass. With the baffle in it was 102db. Went home, put on the stock pipe and retested, 86db @ 5500 rpm. I watched the test and the db reader. Cost for each test was $40 more or less. No other fine was issued. Though I've heard that there have been some random stops in Sydney where they pull over bikes and actually test them there, and issue fines/defects.

So yeah, if you get pulled over, swap pipes and then swap them back if you want. Though I've kept mine stock now, much more responsive without the slip on and better power the whole way through. Was quite sluggish with the slip on and never really saw an increase above stock in the top end from less back pressure.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
I got picked up by the cops for the Yoshi slip on my ninja 300 a couple weeks ago, so thought I'd post up some information on the whole process for those of you in Australia.

Pulled over in NSW for an "excessively loud exhaust" which was the yoshi with baffle in. (I drove past a cop in a bridge underpass). Got a letter from the EPA a couple weeks later saying I needed to be noise tested by such date or the bike would be defected.

After looking at the tests above I was confident I could pass the db test if it was only +4db than stock with the baffle in. For your information the law in NSW states that you can be +5db above stock at a predetermined rpm (whatever rpm the bike was tested at in the factory, there is a sticker on the bike with these test results. For the ninja 300 it is on the underside of the panel just below the seat on the left of the bike, you'll need an allen key to remove). If that doesn't make sense look at your manual under sticker locations.

For the ninja 300 it is 88db at 5500 rpm stock (that's what the sticker says on my bike). So I'm allowed 93db, but in 2011 (I believe) they made a change which allowed +5db or 94db, whichever is higher. So I was actually allowed 94db for the test. Therefore if you're bike was say 93db at 5500rpm stock, you would be allowed 98db.

So having +6db of room I thought I'd definitely pass. Took it to a testing station and got it tested. Did not pass. With the baffle in it was 102db. Went home, put on the stock pipe and retested, 86db @ 5500 rpm. I watched the test and the db reader. Cost for each test was $40 more or less. No other fine was issued. Though I've heard that there have been some random stops in Sydney where they pull over bikes and actually test them there, and issue fines/defects.

So yeah, if you get pulled over, swap pipes and then swap them back if you want. Though I've kept mine stock now, much more responsive without the slip on and better power the whole way through. Was quite sluggish with the slip on and never really saw an increase above stock in the top end from less back pressure.
What is a "defect"? Ive seen a couple Aussies say this and I'm not sure what it means..

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
A defect. Also known as a Ninja 300. :eek: Kidding kidding.

Like a work order/compliance/defect notice or ticket. Meaning something isnt legal on your vehicle and you need to rectify and have it inspected again or otherwise after a certain time (usually 28 days) you cant legally operate that vehicle on road.

We call them Yellow stickers here in Western Australia or more affectionately known as "canaries".

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Like a work order/compliance/defect notice or ticket. Meaning something isnt legal on your vehicle and you need to rectify and have it inspected again or otherwise after a certain time (usually 28 days) you cant legally operate that vehicle on road.

We call them Yellow stickers here in Western Australia or more affectionately known as "canaries".

Oh.. We call that a fix-it ticket (more slang than actual terminology).. Not a big deal here, they'll just keep ticketing you. Not sure about other states but that's the way it is here anyway..

We also don't get a goofy yellow sticker to broadcast that we got the ticket either..

Probably a bigger deal in states with inspections..

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Yeah pretty much the same here, most just fix whatever it is wrong and then go back to the way it was before getting caught. They are changing all that up soon here though that if you get caught progressive times with a same defect, fines increase until the end result is suspension and impoundment. Harsh. The goofy yellow sticker does really suck ass, and proudly displays to everyone else around you that something isnt right with your vehicle. Harsh.

Best thing is..........in my state we dont have the yearly inspections. Knock on wood. I have a RB30 turbo powered car that was made in 87'............still registered/licenced........but in stock form. Car is still stock, until you lift the bonnet and look in the engine bay. No way that car would pass an inspection. 360 odd kW.......cops dont like that much. :cool:

So no inspections are tops!

·
Registered
150 Posts

So slip-ons make the bike more sluggish? I had no idea, is it the same for a full exhaust?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts