Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I needed input on the Yoshimura R-77 slip on which is touted as EPA noise compliant.
Is this for CA riders?
Does this mean it's only slightly louder than stock?

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
I needed input on the Yoshimura R-77 slip on which is touted as EPA noise compliant.
Is this for CA riders?
Does this mean it's only slightly louder than stock?
It means with the baffle installed it is 80db or lower. This allows it to pass EPA noise pollution regs. But California requires all parts to be approved by DOT and all exhaust systems to be approved by the CARB. So no, I do not believe this system is technically CA legal, but since it's not as loud with all the baffles in, you aren't going to really be turning any heads with the cops either. legally I can't in good conscience tell you to go out and get it. But, it's ultimately your choice.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
I have a full system and even with the baffle in is twice as loud as stock. Dont know about the slip on though, I am assuming it would still be a decibel increase over the stock can.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
I have a full system and even with the baffle in is twice as loud as stock. Dont know about the slip on though, I am assuming it would still be a decibel increase over the stock can.
The funny thing about measure dB is that it's NOT additive. So if stock is 76 dB, if it's twice as much it's not 152dB. It's probably somewhere closer to 80. If they claim it's EPA compliant, then it doesn't exceed 80 dB.

For those who want to do some reading on the EPA and laws:

http://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/40/205.166

http://cfr.vlex.com/vid/205-166-noise-emission-standards-19816361

Starting 2013, all motorcycles and exhausts built after 2013 now require an EPA sticker on it as well.:(

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
as a general rule of thumb, after market parts like this usually have fine print that states they are for race use only, thats usually cos they are loud enough to get you nabbed on the street for a noise test

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I appreciate the contributions.

Yoshi is in the same sound category as all the major brands that are similar length and diameter?

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
I appreciate the contributions.

Yoshi is in the same sound category as all the major brands that are similar length and diameter?
I would say all of the other brands are in the same category as Yoshi.....:D

But yes they all sound relatively identical. Except the Twobros, disgustingly louder :eek:

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
I would say all of the other brands are in the same category as Yoshi.....:D

But yes they all sound relatively identical. Except the Twobros, disgustingly louder :eek:
I can't remember what company it was but I remember seeing one that had upgradeable baffles you could install which were supposed to really cut down on the noise. I can't remember who made it was.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Yoshimura and Vance and Hines are the only two companies, that make an exhaust for the Ninja 300, that have ever gotten CARB certification on other exhaust, but I would guess in both cases it was because a major manufacturer was footing the bill (Honda and Harley).

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Regarding the stainless/carbon tip model, this is the polished shiny metal not the dull finish? Might not be right for bike. Full carbon adds extra $$.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Regarding the stainless/carbon tip model, this is the polished shiny metal not the dull finish? Might not be right for bike. Full carbon adds extra $$.
The stainless is shiny, but I think the same it just doesnt seem to suit the bike. The extra $$ for the full carbon is def worth it. All of what 50 bucks extra? Not much when your spending 400+ on something that you will never change.....get what you really want the first time instead of kicking yourself later on when you see the one you really wanted on another bike and how good it looks.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's $100 more.
But like you said, if you like it get it.
When the value of something exceeds its cost, you will buy.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
It's $100 more.
But like you said, if you like it get it.
When the value of something exceeds its cost, you will buy.
Nope only 60 dollars more from stainless to carbon. For 60 bucks I would go the carbon for sure.

YOSHIMURA 147000J220 NINJA 300 R-77 CARBON CF FULL EXHAUST 300R 13 2013 SOLD OUT UNTIL AROUND 3/15/13

YOSHIMURA 147000J220 FULL EXHAUST SYSTEM
R-77 R77 CARBON FIBER CF MUFFLER
STAINLESS STEEL HEADER / COLLECTOR & SS LINK / MID PIPE
KAWASAKI NINJA 300R 300 ZX-300R EX300
13 2013
INCLUDES REMOVABLE DB KILLER SOUND INSERT KILLER
Price: $575.56

YOSHIMURA 147000J520 NINJA 300 R-77 STAINLESS CF FULL EXHAUST 300R 13 2013 THESE ARE in stock now!

YOSHIMURA 147000J520 FULL EXHAUST SYSTEM
R-77 R77 STAINLESS SS MUFFLER W CARBON FIBER CF END CAP
STAINLESS STEEL HEADER / COLLECTOR & SS LINK / MID PIPE
KAWASAKI NINJA 300R 300 ZX-300R EX300
13 2013
INCLUDES REMOVABLE DB KILLER SOUND INSERT KILLER
Price: $515.56

1 - 16 of 16 Posts