Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Just got a pair of Yoshimura Bar Ends in the mail last night. They are designed for the 250R but our bars are exactly the same. The install for these was a PAIN IN THE A$$!!! Hardest install ever, seriously!! I broke 2 screwdrivers doing this. The screws holding in the stock bar ends are about 2" long and the are fully covered in red lock tight!! I tried heating them up with a torch and nothing seemed to work until I started to beat on them with a hammer. That being said the install tool about 1/2 hour, to remove 2 screws and install 2 screws. I dont have any pics at the moment but this will give you the idea of what it looks like:
http://www.yoshimura-rd.com/ps-4405-2021-bar-ends.aspx

Its just something small, it cost me all of $30 to do this haha.. No one would probably even notice the difference but someone that knows about the bike to begin with haha..

But one thing I notice is that the stock ones are HEAVY, and these weigh next to nothing.. It dosnt seem to make a difference though in handling..

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a small propane torch, one that is about 12" tall or so.. I seen a guy on youtube using a torch to take the bolts off but it just wouldnt work for me..

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No way :)

Had to come off sooner of later to change the grips haha.. There would of been no problem if Kawi did not use so much lock tight on a Phillips screw! Use less lock tight or go with a socket head bolt and the problem is solved :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Did you notice a lot of vibration when you had the Yoshi bar ends on? I read somewhere that the reason the stock ones are heaver is because they reduce the vibration

·
Registered
117 Posts
Did you notice a lot of vibration when you had the Yoshi bar ends on? I read somewhere that the reason the stock ones are heaver is because they reduce the vibration
That's correct. The weight is to cope with harmonic vibrations. These yoshi bar ends are for crash purposes.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Never mind. They aren't for crashing. They are just a farkle. Some companies make barend sliders. I have a set in my toolbox which were never used. They came with my Shogun crash kit for my 250.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Ya that red crap is the worst I am going to have to drill out the screw on the right to replace the barends next. got the wrong ones.

·
I ♥ Borat In A Thong
981 Posts
"Screwdriver didn't work, so then I tried using fire. That didn't work, so I beat the **** out of it with a hammer"

Sounds legit to me. I do the same thing, but usually just jump straight to beating the **** out of it.

Looks good. Nobody else may notice, but you do, and it makes it YOUR bike.

·
Registered
117 Posts
You have to combine heat and an impact driver with a hammer to do it correctly. The lock tight is there for a purpose. It keeps the bar end from coming off and subsequently your grip in the worst case scenario. I think Sears and Harbor Freight have these tools for a reasonable price.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Never mind. They aren't for crashing. They are just a farkle. Some companies make barend sliders. I have a set in my toolbox which were never used. They came with my Shogun crash kit for my 250.
Ah, ok. I came out of the mall the other day only to see my bike laying on the floor.
There's literally 2 barely noticeable scratches on my left front fairing, but my bar ends aand clutch took a **** of a beating.
Picked up the Yoshi bar ends and the ASV F3 Shorty clutch/brake levers.
I suppose I got off easy considering I wanted to get those upgrades, anyway.
Afterwards, I'm going to see how much it'll cost to get the paint touched up later on.
I'm guessing it was just a couple kids that decided to sit on it, pulled the kickstands up and laid it.

Anyway, I didn't find out about the vibration thing til after I purchased em. Hopefully, I don't really notice

Sent from my LG-P999 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
547 Posts
Don't have a torch, is there anything else that may assist. Say hitting the end of a screw driver with a hammer to hopefully crack the loctite?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Will it work? Sure. The chances of the average DIY wrench turner stripping the head are pretty high without heat though. So why risk the potential headache when it can be done right in the first place?

·
Registered
547 Posts
Will it work? Sure. The chances of the average DIY wrench turner stripping the head are pretty high without heat though. So why risk the potential headache when it can be done right in the first place?
I have no way of introducing heat :/

1 - 20 of 29 Posts