Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
My bike sat for a month after the last track day. I turned it on and let it idle for ten minutes a couple of times in the meantime. Last Saturday, when I turned it on, The DFI was on with an error code 13. It looks like the Intake Air Temperature Sensor went bad.
From what I read so far, it can be as easy as the sensor got unplugged, or as bad as the ECU is toasted.

It's weird though that it happened during a period of no use of about a month.

I guess it can't be the ECU because the bike runs well. I took it for a ride around the neighborhood, 3rd gear / 25mph max for ten minutes. The light stayed on all the time, but the bike ran just fine.

Will dig out the temp sensor and check it out.

Registered
Is the air-fuel ratio wrong? Is there any signs its running richer or leaner as is now? IIRC most engines will default to a richer setting incase of a sensor failure, which is safer than lean. More popping maybe?

-Mike

Registered
I wouldn't sweat it. Chances are it's just unplugged or has a bit of corrosion in it. Take it apart, clean it out and you'll probably be fine. Really doubt it's the ECU.

21176-0048 is a very popular sensor and I think they're about $25 bucks. Kawi has used it on Ninjas from the 300 to the ZX14, Vulcans from the 650 to the 2000, Teryx, ATV's since 2008 (ish), you name it.

East to find, easy to change, and easy to have them not plugged in all the way and the connector vibrates off over time. ;) (Not that it's ever happened to me, of course not, never)

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Is the air-fuel ratio wrong? Is there any signs its running richer or leaner as is now? IIRC most engines will default to a richer setting incase of a sensor failure, which is safer than lean. More popping maybe?

-Mike
From what I've read, when the ECU finds a bad intake air temp sensor, it sets the value to a default value of 80, which happens to be the temp that we most likely have here in Florida, LOL.
Anyways, it shouldn't affect the AFR. My bike has a full Yoshi, Power commander, and PAIR delete.
I only rode it around the neighborhood, at low speed, there was some popping, but it always had popped.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
I took out some plastics and took a look. I found the wires from the harness to the plug were seriously damaged, like chewed on. The other wires close around were fine, so it can't be rodent animals. I thought that the tank could have rubbed the wires, but when I sit the tank back on nothing was touching the wire and it actually has plenty of space to wiggle. So what caused the damage remains a mystery to me.

The wires were damaged to the point one of it snapped off and the other was about to do it too. And it actually came off too when I was trying to take out the old insulation.
I peeled off some extra insulation to reconnect them and wrap some electric tape around them. The yellow light went off now, so I'll take it for a ride or two to test it.

One of the wires snapped very close to the harness, so I had to open up the harness insulation to pull out some wire, a bit less than half an inch, I'd say. Bummer. I don't like to mess with wires.

Also, I don't know if the electric tape wrapping will be a good long term solution. Maybe I'll have to do a better reconnection, but I still have to learn how to do it better.

And of course. I dropped still another push pin into the deepness of the battery tray.

Good thing that I didn't have to remove the tank to do the patch. Raising it with a piece of wood was enough.

Registered
That's more than enough wire to solder on to. Twisted wires and electrical tape are NFG.

Does this look right? Can send a brand new one assembled with 12inches of wire and have it there by the end of next week for $25CAD (Which is about 50c usd lol) includes tracking and insurance.

Attachments

Registered
I wouldn't sweat it. Chances are it's just unplugged or has a bit of corrosion in it. Take it apart, clean it out and you'll probably be fine. Really doubt it's the ECU.

21176-0048 is a very popular sensor and I think they're about $25 bucks. Kawi has used it on Ninjas from the 300 to the ZX14, Vulcans from the 650 to the 2000, Teryx, ATV's since 2008 (ish), you name it.

East to find, easy to change, and easy to have them not plugged in all the way and the connector vibrates off over time. ;) (Not that it's ever happened to me, of course not, never)
Good info, Thank You

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
That's more than enough wire to solder on to. Twisted wires and electrical tape are NFG.

Does this look right? Can send a brand new one assembled with 12inches of wire and have it there by the end of next week for $25CAD (Which is about 50c usd lol) includes tracking and insurance.
Thanks! Now it runs well. No yellow light, no error codes. So I guess the sensor is still good. If it fails again, I will try a proper soldering.

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
Now I think it may have perfectly been a mouse to chew on my cable. Some days ago, we realized there was a mouse at the house and started to set traps to catch it.
Talking to my neighbor, he told me he was in war with the rodents as well, and he said mice had chewed on his car wires and made a mess.

I finally caught my mouse. I hope it was only one. Now I sprayed some mice repellent in the outside perimeter of the house and around the bike too! Hope that will keep those little suckers away from my ride.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts