Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I currently have a 2011 Ninja 250R and am thinking about upgrading to a 300. The reasons I want to upgrade are, I would like to have more power and fuel injection. I was just wondering what you guys think about the dealership offering me $2,700 for my bike, I would then need to pay at least $2,500 on top of that for the Ninja 300. So is it worth it? Or should I just wait and upgrade to a 600.

·
Super Moderator
1,075 Posts
Meh. I had an 08 250 a few years back. moved on onto a 03 gsxr 600. now have the 300 and i love it way better than the gsxr. fwiw

·
Registered
387 Posts
As seems to be the common saying here: You're on a 300 site lol. Of course everyone will say it's a worthwhile upgrade, but I'd ask what you're looking for. If you're considering the raw power and straight-line acceleration of a supersport, you probably might want to bypass the 300. But if you're looking for a perfect all around commuter with a significant increase in power over the 250 and way better handling characteristics, you can't go wrong with the 300.

my 2 cents

·
Registered
506 Posts
Depends on your applications and confidence on two wheels.

If you're looking for a fuel sipping commuter, stick with your 250.
If you love your 250 and don't ever plan on upgrading to 600+, but want just a TAD more power, then maybe the 300 is right for you.
If you're looking to upgrade for more power, but intend to ride the same way you ride currently, then a 650 may be right for you.

The answer is...it depends

·
Registered
49 Posts
I think everybody has summed it up pretty well. If you are looking for something that really moves either get a 600 or a 650 if you want something not crazy fast. However if you just want a all around smoother bike grab the 300 its a amazing bike.

·
Registered
56 Posts
You might also want to wait until the honda cb500r are at the dealers. Not a super sport, but has more power and fuel injection. I would recommend you wait to see both then decide what fits your needs. I'm was leaning towards good mileage and power so it was the ninja for me. I'm sure the cb500r will get good mileage also, but obviously less than the 300.

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
the 300 has a large amount of after-market accessories to customise it, plus i have owned much larger cc bikes & bikes that weigh over 300 kilograms and this bike aint no slouch & it handles beautifully, if you want it to perform nicely, add +1 sprocket, K&N air cleaner, two bro's slip on, pc5. i did & and im glad i did, money well spent & it goes very, very well

·
Registered
42 Posts
The increase in insurance cost could sway your decision as well. Insurance for a 600 was more than tripple compared to the 300. Thats a huge annual savings.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I was in the same boat with thinking that having to shell out $2500-$3000 to move from a 250 to a 300 was not going to be at all worth the trouble but I was so very wrong. Granted I was coming from a scooter (CBR250R) and not a Ninja 250 but the difference was huge and I'm very happy I made the switch.

There is also a supersport in my future but it will be an addition rather than a replacement for my 300.

·
Registered
295 Posts
My little blackbook motorcycle price guide tells me that a clean trade in for a 2011 250R is $2645. The average retail price for a used 2011 250R is $3385. So they are looking at pure profit on their end of $740 if they resell your bike on top of the ~$300-$500 they make for the markup over invoice and any setup/delivery fees.

I'd say they are giving you an average trade in price, if your bike is in excellent condition you can probably get more. If it were me and I had decided I didn't want a 500 or 650, I'd walk in and tell them I want $3,000 for my trade in and I was willing to pay MSRP for the Ninja 300. (I'd probably take $2800 if they threw in some extras)

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Owning both a 250R and a 300..

Personally unless the style is worth the added cost, I personally dont think its worth it.. Just my opinion.. But it all comes down to, its your money :D

But keep in mind I got a great deal on my 250R.. I could of bought 3 of them for less than what I paid for my 300..

·
Banned
1,037 Posts
My little blackbook motorcycle price guide tells me that a clean trade in for a 2011 250R is $2645. The average retail price for a used 2011 250R is $3385. So they are looking at pure profit on their end of $740 if they resell your bike on top of the ~$300-$500 they make for the markup over invoice and any setup/delivery fees.

I'd say they are giving you an average trade in price, if your bike is in excellent condition you can probably get more. If it were me and I had decided I didn't want a 500 or 650, I'd walk in and tell them I want $3,000 for my trade in and I was willing to pay MSRP for the Ninja 300. (I'd probably take $2800 if they threw in some extras)
Man 3000.00 msrp on a 2012 is 4100 you can find them new left over for 3800.00

·
Registered
128 Posts
If you get a 300 you will just be re purchasing your 250. The difference in power will be noticeable and satisfying, but not mind-blowing.

If you think you are ready to move up to a bike with real power, get on up to the 600 super sport class. Just be prepared for a whole new level of responsibility while riding, but also a whole new level of fun and power and abilities on the road. Also a higher insurance premium, and slightly less gas mileage.

·
Registered
506 Posts
If you think you are ready to move up to a bike with real power, get on up to the 600 super sport class. Just be prepared for a whole new level of responsibility while riding, but also a whole new level of fun and power and abilities on the road. Also a higher insurance premium, and slightly less gas mileage.
OP can go with a Ninja 650. It's a perfectly sane midweight that's fairly close to what the 300 excels at (commuting, spirited rides).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey guys, thanks for all the input! A lot of you gave me answers that I was looking for. My biggest question is, is there a big enough difference in the feel of the bike to pay the extra $2500? I like having the weight of the 250 but the power lacks when trying to ride two up, which is a big problem for me. I am not trying to go 90MPH with someone on the back, but I would like the power to accelerate when the light turns green. Another reason I'm not going to a 600 is because I am getting a new 300 for around 5k, and if I wanted a 600, I could get a used one for around that price and would have to sell my bike myself because the dealership has no used cheap 600's.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts