Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all! never thought I'd be posting here. hahaha!!

midday today Mt. Nebo. on a right hander 30Kph suggested corner slightly camber. I believe I must have slid the rear tyre from damp leaves build up on the side. Thought I have taken a pic of the corner but looking back in the phone but to no avail. Incident was quick next thing I felt was sensation of looking up on the sky and heard the bang. Fortunately, hit the guardrail and landed on a soft/mud ditch. Was not able to lift the bike - thanks to the good samaritan cyclist I passed 5mins ago the mountain run to have helped me. I thought adrenaline would've just make me lift the bike.

Forks are all okay. Did not manage to start the bike at first then noticed kill switch was on. funny. Could've been worse but just thankful I manage to walk awy from it.

Oggy knobs did its job. Right lower fairing cracked and the brake lever was bent lucky managed to kick it back in place to be able to ride down the mountain. its more cosmetic and the throttle is changed will need fixing to be back to its full potential ( im only able to rev it up to 8k and does not revert back to usual spot). rode the bike home and to work now.

Lesson I learned here: best go up for a mountain run on a sunny day wherein it was sunny ahead of it. ride with a buddy.

will upload pic via mobile.

main question is ---> Should I claim this thru insurance?

with my gears - the draggin jeans did its job perfect. sustained a graze on the R) patella and able to weight bear on it. will have it x-ray here at work tomorrow. my arai was unscathe and go pro too. jacket had a little scuff on the R) elbow. ATGATT fellow riders please. only thing i regret if only i was wearing a proper track pants i wouldnt have this limp of mine.

TLDR: Im okay. feel like sharing it here. Keep criticism as constructive please.

·
Registered
74 Posts
first thing,get your throttle repaired before you do any riding.safty first,if it sticks you may need a new helmet or worse.as for insurance,i would turn it in if cost to repair over 1000.00 have state farm with good driving record they told me no increase for first crash. sorry about your crash and thanks for putting it on the forum.we can all learn and take something away from your story,again thanks for your tell all and think about that throttle repair. lets ride....

·
Registered
344 Posts
If want the bike to look new again it will be over your deductible and worth the claim. The adjuster will want to replace any part that is marked up. Really adds up with all the pieces and labor. Example, if my BMW goes down and the engine case gets scratched (yes scratched) they will total the bike as there is no way for the dealership to replace just the cylinder head covers (new engine is $16K plus labor), and repainting them won't be covered either.

On the other hand, if you can live with the engine case scraps, just replace the plastics out of pocket. Not as bad as you think, go to http://www.powersportswarehouse.com to price the parts as I have already had a piece replaced on my 300 from them pretty cheap.

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
it doesnt look that bad to be honest the damage to bike that is.i think you can live with the scrapes on the side of the bike. keep it how it is just incase you come a cropper again in the future

·
Registered
55 Posts
Thanks for sharing hydrox.

Can´t get insurance here to cover bike damage or theft, so I´d go for a mix of cruizin´s leave it as is and some pay-for-and-do-it-myself. Replacement right chin fairing, rear brake lever and the muffler heat shield. The case cover would bother me, so first I´d check around a little for local metal finishing/paint talent - might could do a lot with it perhaps even without removal.

I´d leave the expensive scuffed-up black side panel exactly as is, sort of a badge. Even rotate the slider fresh side down!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for all the input guys and empathizing with me. For now might leave it as it is... but will get the throttle fixed soon as possible.

will rotate the oggy to upside. =) just in case.

I'll have a read of my insurance policy.

rode it to work again this morning... smell a burnt oil soon as i was parking. 2 droplets of oil later on the front part of the bike - hope its not from forks.

ive taken a pic and will upload via mobile.

thanks for the link... looking at option to buy fairing just before i resell the bike in almost a year's time.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hahaha! thanks for the offer cruizin. it is sound and works perfect. but in the future for the re-sale thats an option.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Work is just 10mins ride. Almost like a touge run. No traffic.

Happy with the frame sliders did its job IMO.

If you want a complete protection then get a full frame guard like for those Honda in MSF or riding schools.

Or get a naked bike.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Curious, did those Draggin jeans have built in armor? Or just the Kevlar patches in strategic locations?

·
Banned
1,037 Posts
Work is just 10mins ride. Almost like a touge run. No traffic.

Happy with the frame sliders did its job IMO.

If you want a complete protection then get a full frame guard like for those Honda in MSF or riding schools.

Or get a naked bike.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Id pull off all plastic and see if you cant pin down the leak tho. its suck if what ever was leaking let go as you are riding.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Curious, did those Draggin jeans have built in armor? Or just the Kevlar patches in strategic locations?
there is an additional armor you can buy for the older draggins. the newer ones come in built in/removable.

i have the old one.

kevlar and dyneema on bum area, knees and sides(hips) i think.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts