Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Looking at installing these clip ons from Woodcraft, which I understand several other members have also installed:

http://www.biohazardcycles.com/servlet/the-6426/WOODCRAFT-CFM-12-dsh-4537-CLIP/Detail

My question is, do these come with install directions and how complex / tricky is the install process?

Perhaps more importantly, will these interfere with body work, mirrors, gauges or brake lines? Or limit the turning radius of the bike?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
101 Posts
if you are handy you can handle it. its fairly easy. If you have any questions feel free to email me. I just did the mod a month or so ago. Good luck!

[email protected]

p.s. to remove and re-install the left side grip you'll need water. Also, the bar end weights are EXTREMELY tight. Way too much loctite was used on the installation.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
if you are handy you can handle it. it fairly easy. If you have any questions feel free to email me. I just did the mod a month or so ago. Good luck!

[email protected]

p.s. to remove and re-install the grips you'll need water
Thanks for the support, I was looking at a guide for installing driven clip ons for a 250: http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=97552

Is the process similar for the 300, and is there still drilling required for the 300 clip on install?

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
you have to drill the bars to accept the stock controls.. other than that its very straight forward... just time consuming because its tight working conditions under there..

·
Registered
101 Posts
it feels much less upright. You are more leaned forward. upgrading the rearsets will also give you a much sportier position. I like it better this way. the stock settings do not give you a sporty position to ride.

·
Registered
138 Posts
sorry for the bump, but is it possible to use the entire stock handlebar with the woodcraft clip on? I dont really care about swapping the actual bar if its not necessary, but i wonder if the stock ones can interface with the clip on mount. it would really make installation a lot easier

·
Registered
463 Posts
do you necessarily have to to lower the bike on the front to install this?

·
Registered
138 Posts
do you necessarily have to to lower the bike on the front to install this?
no the riser on the clip makes it so that the bar clears the body work, and allows the mount to grip the fork tube surface 100% (under the triple clamp)

edit: also where are yall finding the torque values for the installation? did a once over on the included instructions and i couldnt find it

·
Registered
463 Posts
no the riser on the clip makes it so that the bar clears the body work, and allows the mount to grip the fork tube surface 100% (under the triple clamp)

edit: also where are yall finding the torque values for the installation? did a once over on the included instructions and i couldnt find it
what is the maximum that you can lower the bike (in inches) and putting clip-ons under the triple clamp without and clearing issues? i would like to lower it , maybe 1/2 inch or so

Reactions: Ken Li

·
Registered
138 Posts
what is the maximum that you can lower the bike (in inches) and putting clip-ons under the triple clamp without and clearing issues? i would like to lower it , maybe 1/2 inch or so
I'm far from an expert, but i imagine a 1/2" drop would not hurt the suspension clearance so long as you mount the clip as close as you can against underside of the triple clamp. but again i welcome anyone for a correction, as i've never done it myself.

·
Registered
49 Posts

·
I ♥ Borat In A Thong
981 Posts
Guys... I just installed mine tonight and I am having a problem with the brake line smashing into the dashboard. I've turned my bars as far away, moved them up and down etc and it still scrapes right above the spedometer. Did anyone else have this issue!? I need a fix ASAP since I have a huge trip this weekend (blue ridge parkway and skyline drive).

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yes, this is common for woodcraft clipon.

Loosen the bolt holding that brake line to the reservior a bit and turn the brakeline clockwise (when sitting on the bike, looking forward) 45 to 90 degrees. it will still rub a little but should not be hitting the dash. And you won't feel resistance when you're riding. That's the best you can do with stock hardwares.

·
I ♥ Borat In A Thong
981 Posts
^Thats exactly what I ended up doing about 3 hours ago lol. I had tried it last night, but turned it a full 90 and felt some weird resistance in the brake so I put it back. This time it still works just fine.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Ok, those of you with clip ons.. I don't need to hear the disadvantages of lowering a bike, I know. But here lately my wife has become more excited to ride 2-up with me. Now, I'm a pretty short guy at only 5'3. I have managed to comfortably ride with one foot down on toes at stops. But riding 2-up I feel its a must to be able to comfortably plant both of your feet down. With her weight on the back I am a barely able to touch with toes. I've made up my mind. I want to lower front and rear by 1 inch. I bought a set of woodcraft clip ons and rear lowering links that I haven't got around to install yet.

My question is, when I install the clip ons, will I be able to lower the front of bike 1 inch without having clearance issues with brake lines, fairings, etc..? Just wanted to see if someone has successfully tackled this before I get started.

·
Registered
652 Posts
If you lower the front that much, you might try putting the woodcraft risers above the triple clamp. Or see if you can get taller risers from them?

·
Registered
784 Posts
Guys... I just installed mine tonight and I am having a problem with the brake line smashing into the dashboard. I've turned my bars as far away, moved them up and down etc and it still scrapes right above the spedometer. Did anyone else have this issue!? I need a fix ASAP since I have a huge trip this weekend (blue ridge parkway and skyline drive).
You can use wire ties on the brake line to gain more clearance.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts