Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought my wife a 2014 Ninja 300 ABS about 3 weeks ago and she has ridden it three times. First time she went out she dropped it in the grass but it rode fine around the neighborhood. She said she got it up to 45 on the main street before coming home. She rode another time around the neighborhood with no issues. Yesterday while I was at work she went for a longer ride and got stuck because the bike went into neutral upon a u turn and she couldn't shift. I rushed home to help her and discovered the shifter was bent in towards the motor... me thinking because it was bent and contacting the linkage this was the problem. I attempted to straighten it as much as I could and got it to shift into first by pure strength... I rode the bike home and now the bike won't shift anywhere like the tranny is frozen. There are no leaks and no other damage I can see... any suggestions hints or tips?

·
Registered
520 Posts
I'd unbolt the linkage from the shift shaft and see if the linkage moves freely without being attached to the shift shaft. You could also use just the end joint of the linkage on the shift shaft, with the rest disconnected, to see if it will shift without the linkage attached. You will need to rock the cycle back and forth or have the rear wheel in the air, and manually spin it, in order to change gears.

Something may be binding and not letting the shift shaft return.

If she hasn't, I would strongly suggest she takes a Basic Rider Course. She needs to have all the basics down before riding on the street. There’s no time to learn as you go.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I agree, find a way to torque the shaft with some vice grips or something, careful not to strip the grooves. If it turns then just replace the shifter rod that is bent. Also keep in mind you might have to rotate the rear wheel to reset the shift mechanism so it goes into gear.

·
Registered
84' Goldwing Aspencade, 91' EX500, 98' Ninja 250 w/ 17' 300 engine, 07 EX500
73 Posts
I would be careful about putting too much torque, there is a lot stuff you could break. Could be a broken spring, etc....

Font Parallel Triangle Pattern Slope

Check the shifter linkage to be sure it not bent, and the angles of the pivot points.

Product Font Line Circle Drawing

And being an MSF instructor I highly recommend she takes the BRC 1 course.

Also where are you located, if close to a forum member, maybe they could give you a hand.

Reactions: jkv45

·
Super Moderator
2,649 Posts
I had this problem after mine got knocked over in the garage (not by me, just putting that out there and yes, we're still married). Yes, it bent the shifter and we straightened it out. I rode it a few times with no issue, and then it didn't want to shift. I took it to the dealer thinking I had a transmission issue and it was still under warranty. Turned out that the shift mount was slightly bent. They straightened it out and I've had no issues in the last 16k miles.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts