Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just riding in my neighborhood and witnessed a head-on accident. One of the car's went over yellow line and hit the toyota head on. I was behind Toyota that was hit head on. I had to do some emergency braking. Some pieces flew over into my direction almost hitting my bike. Everyone was relatively OK. If I was riding instead of the Toyota car, I would probably be dead or seriously injured. That's pretty wild.

Do you have any stories of accidents you witnessed and how it changed your prospective on riding? After this accident that I witnessed I am going to keep to the right of the road/lane as much as I can in case someone crosses the centerlane. It seems these accidents are pretty common but a lot of the time it is the motorcycle that crosses the line.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I wouldn't ride on the right as the oncoming vehicle may not see you behind a vehicle that you are following and they may think it's safe to turn and they will, not knowing you are there...

I keep left and not follow close so I can make eye contact...

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Keep proper lane position and stay visible. That will always be your best defense. Random stuff like that head on will happen regardless of your driving.

·
Registered
993 Posts
If I am behind someone in heavy traffic I always move from the left to the right side continuously (not fast and scrubbing tires, just slow and easy) to keep them looking at the movement in thier rearview and to keep the person behind me wandering what i'm doing. If they are thinking about you they are seeing you. I do the same with semi-trucks on the interstate or highway, from left side mirror to right side mirror, to let them know i'm back there. I was stopped by a state trooper once and he asked why I was "deviating" in my lane, I told him why and he said "not a bad idea", "but please do it safely", I said I would and he said "have a good day" and off he went, no problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts