Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey friends,

Any of you have any advice as to what I could/should use to wipe basic sand and road stuffs off the back and underside of my bike? I don't want to wash it yet, a I don't have the materials to clean my chain yet. Just want to wipe her down clean.

Thanks much.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What would you use as far as a cloth?

I just want to wet a cloth and wipe away some dirt of the back but want to make sure that's alright to use. Thanks so far for the responses!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Don't use any type of clothe or tower on the bike if its got dirt/sand on it! The clothe will rub the sand/dirt into the paint job and make tiny little scratches.

Rinse it off with water first. Then dry it with a microfiber towel, anything super soft works best.

As far as shining goes.. Window cleaner works just fine. I've been using it since day one. But if you do go with window cleaner, make sure its Ammonia free!

Ammonia will slowly erode paint surfaces over time.

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
Don't use any type of clothe or tower on the bike if its got dirt/sand on it! The clothe will rub the sand/dirt into the paint job and make tiny little scratches.

Rinse it off with water first.

^^^^

great advise here. a nozzle on the end of a garden hose works well for getting rid of it

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Yeah thanks for the tips. Just sucks because I live in a condo. No garden hose :/ ill see what I can do

Rinse first then wipe dry, then Quick detail spray and wipe down with a microfiber towel. Thanks guys!!

What do you guys do as far as actually washing your bike? Do you always clean the chain afterwards and lube it or do you just wash the under bits with water to get the dirt an sand off and leave it as is after drying? As long as the chain looks clean, that is. Right now I only have 107 miles on the bike.

What do you do for drying? Hand? Air? What do you use? Microfiber towel?

I just ordered some "miracle towels" from auto geek, they were cheap and looked decent. Again sorry for all the questions, just a newbie here tying to get more information in regards to taking care if my bike.

Thanks again. Feel free to PM me with any personal advice.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I hauled mine 60 miles to my house in the rain, used my electric leaf blower to dry it off. Peeled off the 20 or so odd stickers plastered on it by the PO, then waxed it with some Meguiars.

regards
Mech

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's a great idea cruizin thanks. Go figure you can't think of the simple things and go to weird lengths to try and find a solution hah.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I don't know about spraying it and wiping dry, you are asking to scratch your bike up. Spray it, use soap, rinse it, and dry it. Soap acts as a lubricant. This will help prevent scratches from cleaning the bike.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Again, I'm talking about the UNDERSIDE of the rear of the bike, I'm not talking about the tank.

Sorry for any confusion but I am just looking on cleaning around the rear tire/chain guard/suspension and most notably the splash pattern under the seat and near the taillight.

Do you suggest mixing a bit of bike safe formulated soap with the water?

I just want this to be an easy thing I don't want to detail the bike haha. I am just trying to clean a few small areas without going too crazy, I don't have a rear stand/chain cleaning/lubrication products yet so I can't risk mucking up my chain quite yet.

·
Registered
655 Posts
If its the plastic under tail a damp rag is fine just don't rub it on the painted area's.

If you wet the chain always best to lube it afterwards though I find adding it after the chain is warn is best.

If you soak your bike after a big wash run it for 5 or so mins after to dry the water in the engine bay. If i can be bothered I use a wet look polish with a micro towel after its air dried for 10-15mins.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts