Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Fast Lane Ukraine
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's getting to be almost that time. Temperatures are now regularly cool making it less and less likely I'll be riding.

What do you do to winterize your bike?

What fluids should I be changing (other than oil) before storing the bike? I'm at 3,6xx miles right now and *might* hit 4,000 by the end of the season.

·
Premium Member
1,072 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hope you have a garage to keep it in.
If not a rented indoor locker in a guarded warehouse like I do is around 150 bucks for the winter.
Fuel stabilizer and battery tender to keep your battery from dying on you.
I would also put it on stands so you don't get flat spots on your tires.
Also if you have a good and big enough moving pad "wrap" your bike in it, it'll keep humidity from it.
Change your oil only if you are due, if you still have i.e. 2k miles to go untill next oil change, just do it in the spring, it is of no use to do it before storage.

·
Fast Lane Ukraine
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys.

I have a garage (heated only when in use), will be doing stabilizer and battery tender, and it will be covered and on both front and rear stands. I was just wondering if at 4k I needed to change any other fluids like coolant or brake since I was reading some articles online about storage, etc.

·
Premium Member
1,015 Posts
What is winterizing? My season is just getting started.

·
Fast Lane Ukraine
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lucky. I hate Winter/Fall. I want 80+ weather EVERY DAY. And sunshine. Don't like rain, don't like cold, don't like wind (unless it's a nice gentle breeze on a warm summer day).

Summers in NY are perfect. Everything else in NY blows. Only reason why I haven't moved is because 100% of my family is in the northeast, otherwise, I'd be in Tampa, FL tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
I don't mind the snow for a few weeks, but after a while it gets depressing.. I like summer as well, mostly because we go on the river and do other fun crap in the summer that can't be done in the winter. once deer season is over and we have one good heavy snow, I'm ready for it to be over.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Parking for winter

I'm looking for a place to store my ninja and a friends ninja (2012). I was wondering where you guys store your bikes for the winter if you don't have a garage available. Winters in Michigan are pretty bad so I am considering a heated storage unit at a storage place, is that needed and what things do you need to do to sport bikes to make sure they are all set for next riding season.

Any tips are welcome, and sorry if this has Been posted somewhere else.

Thom

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
137 Posts
Will be stored on Front and Rear stands, full tank with stabilizer, battery tender jr. Only have 400 miles on this full synthetic so I wont be changing before/after. My basement is humidity controlled and temperature controlled (60 deg F, 38% humidity).

·
Registered
78 Posts
@thom Just read my previous comment here.

Hope you have a garage to keep it in.
If not a rented indoor locker in a guarded warehouse like I do is around 150 bucks for the winter.
Fuel stabilizer and battery tender to keep your battery from dying on you.
I would also put it on stands so you don't get flat spots on your tires.
Also if you have a good and big enough moving pad "wrap" your bike in it, it'll keep humidity from it.
Change your oil only if you are due, if you still have i.e. 2k miles to go untill next oil change, just do it in the spring, it is of no use to do it before storage.

·
Registered
5,398 Posts
Lucky. I hate Winter/Fall. I want 80+ weather EVERY DAY. And sunshine. Don't like rain, don't like cold, don't like wind (unless it's a nice gentle breeze on a warm summer day).

Summers in NY are perfect. Everything else in NY blows. Only reason why I haven't moved is because 100% of my family is in the northeast, otherwise, I'd be in Tampa, FL tomorrow.

I lived in FL for 10+ years before coming back to NY and let me tell you that Summer SUCKS in FL, even now sucks. It rains literally every single day during the summer in FL. Usually it`s clear in the morning and by mid afternoon, nothing but rain. That`s tropical weather for you. And now it`s hurricane season which brings more rain.

The best time in FL is like November through Mid May where is hardly rains and cold fronts. Being able to ride all year is awesome but the humidity and rain sucks, and having a 300 in FL with nothing but straights kind of sucks too. You get chicken strips just because there`s no curvea but highway on and off ramps and most of those in FL are straight too.

·
Registered
52 Posts
If my bike is fixed before winter I was planning on riding all year round, already have some winter gear to ride in, the only question I have is about the snow. I live in Cookeville, TN and we get a few inches every once in a while, but currently the only garage I have to put my bike in is all the way across town if I decide to ride it again.

If my bike had to sit in the snow for a day or two would it have any effects? I have a cover, I am more worried about the tires.

I am planning on taking it to the garage if the forecast says it's going to snow but you never know when it might just pop up.

·
Registered
138 Posts
is there anything to do to be before starting your bike up after winterizing. Or is it good to go as soon as weather permits? It's been nice here today and I want to go for a ride when I get home from work but I don't want to mess anything up.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
is there anything to do to be before starting your bike up after winterizing. Or is it good to go as soon as weather permits? It's been nice here today and I want to go for a ride when I get home from work but I don't want to mess anything up.
different people will have different recommendations.. I'm gonna do a good check over on everything (tires, fluids, etc), lube the chain, then fire it up and ride.. I'll change the oil when I get to the proper mileage, it's still pretty fresh and has only been sitting for maybe 3 or 4 months, started and idled at least once a month for 30 minutes plus..

·
Registered
172 Posts
I know this post is old, but I'm pulling it up because its almost that time for most of us riders to put our bikes away for the year. I've read through most of your comments, and most peoples way of doing it seems pretty legit. But what I don't understand is why not just pop open your kawi manual and read about winter storage. Follow their steps and your golden.

·
Registered
262 Posts

agreed....everything in ny blows...hopefully this is my last winter here...moving to winter haven or Melbourne fl....asap...ive lived here in ny all my life...theres not one thing I will miss

1 - 20 of 85 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.