Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been riding for a little under a year and my first bike is a Ninja 300. Above 50 mph the wind noise was almost unbearable. I thought it was my helmet, so I tried another helmet, but had the same issue with that one. I figured it must be the windscreen, so I tried a Zero Gravity Corsa which is a little taller than stock. It reduced the noise a little in the tucked position, but unless tucked the wind was still really loud. I noticed if I stand up on the pegs there's almost no noise. I've ended up just removing the windscreen completely and the ride is much quieter, at least up to around 70 mph.

Anyone else do the same?

·
Super Moderator
696 Posts
Welcome to the forum johan.

I personally never paid much attention to windscreens. Many bikes don't have one at all. Sport bikes have one to allow you to lower your profile and be more aerodynamic at high speeds, and also to look more sporty. I guess wind in the face (or helmet) is just part of riding.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Yeah I don't have this issue with stock clear wind screen. I spent a ton of time and miles cruising around the desert and open freeway, with a Shoei RF1200 and ear plugs, never had any issues like that. Even on the other bikes I've ridden, never had that issue. Wind in the face is only noticeable above like 100mph lol that's when I start getting blown around and real noisy IMO.

Is your helmet full face? No leaking visor? Ear plugs?

-Mike

·
Registered
385 Posts
interesting solution to your problem! If you haven't tried it yet, earplugs are definitely the way to go. Will protect your hearing in the long term, too, if you do a lot of highway riding.

Reactions: Rogue

·
Super Moderator
696 Posts
I've heard it's illegal in some states, even on motorcycles. If you get pulled over, take off your helmet and the police see the ear plugs, you may get a ticket.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Topaz, I've never heard of it being illegal in Iowa...and even if it was I'd continue wearing earplugs and take my chances! Soooo much more pleasant with plugs...and the risk of long term hearing loss on a bike is real without any plugs.

Strangely enough, I also have a bluetooth com unit in my helmet to listen to music while I ride..while wearing ear plugs! The ear plugs minimize the treble so the bass sounds much better with plugs. All of this and I can still clearly hear what's going on around me...seems crazy, but it's true!

Reactions: Topaz
1 - 7 of 7 Posts