Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am posting this question to all the mechanics/mechanically inclined/DIY people on this forum. Will you be doing the work on your bike when it comes time or leaving it up to the dealer? I know most everyone will be doing their own oil changes and whatnot but what about thinks like brakes and checking valve clearances? I currently have two jobs: Restaurant Manager by night and I am about to graduate college with a degree in Automotive Technology at the local community college and have a little experience in rebuilding older bikes (Honda CB750's). I just know these are more like cars than the older bikes and wanna see who is gonna be getting their hands dirty!

·
Registered
219 Posts
I'm going to be getting my hands dirty. This is my first bike, and how I see it to learn my bike I must work on it. I enjoy it now. I read up on things then try them out. I can't see anyone but myself working on my bike

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
630 Posts
The things that I'm capable of doing myself, I absolutely will be. There's no way I'm paying $150-$180, or something like that for a 600 mile service that's essentially check 2 fluid levels and change oil+filter. The rest of the stuff in the maintenance listing contains thing you should check every so often yourself (clutch/throttle play, drive chain slack, lubricate chain, etc).

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
The things that I'm capable of doing myself, I absolutely will be. There's no way I'm paying $150-$180, or something like that for a 600 mile service that's essentially check 2 fluid levels and change oil+filter. The rest of the stuff in the maintenance listing contains thing you should check every so often yourself (clutch/throttle play, drive chain slack, lubricate chain, etc).
The expensive part of the 600 mile check is the valve clearance and adjustment. it takes a bit of time tearing everything apart to get to the valves and then putting them back together if they need adjustment.

·
Registered
630 Posts
The expensive part of the 600 mile check is the valve clearance and adjustment. it takes a bit of time tearing everything apart to get to the valves and then putting them back together if they need adjustment.
Valve clearance is listed to be completed at 7,600 miles, not 600.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Today I took all my left side fairings off, installed a battery tender to the battery, and tapped into the taillight circuit to wire a USB power source. All together some of the most mechanical things I've ever done alone. I definitely learned a lot... I feel comfortable doing more maintenance on my bike now instead of having to rely on the dealership. One day I'll be on your levels. ;)

·
Registered
215 Posts
I have never done any kind of mechanical work before I got this bike. I plan on learning to do a lot of mechanical things with this bike. I have a good buddy who has been around and building bikes since he was a little boy so I am lucky enough to have someone to show me the ropes.

·
Banned
613 Posts
Valve clearance is listed to be completed at 7,600 miles, not 600.
For what ever reason alot of bikes California model require the valve clearence check and throttle body sync at the 600 mile check. Not sure why but just another reason cali should just drop the emission crap and get on board with the rest of the country.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Stay away from the dealer if you know how to DIY.

chevyguy4321;37068 Cali should just drop the emission crap and get on board with the rest of the country.[/QUOTE said:
Exactly, though it will probably be the opposite over time. In rural areas of Virginia we don't have an emissions check (yet!). Here we are, riding a fuel-efficient (55-70mpg) machine; how much pollution are we contributing to? YES, I will be performing ALL maintenance on mine. Always have on every type of vehicle I've owned, a few for over 25 years and counting.

·
Registered
31 Posts
If I have the tools, I will do it myself. Like said above its ludacris to pay 100-200 dollars to check levels and change oil and filter which you can do in about 10 minutes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts