Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This thread is being created to answer your questions regarding "will this modification void my warranty". Also this thread pertains to only members located within the United States, if you are outside of the United States you will need to look into your local laws. This thread contains a link which is a VERY long read, so I want to summarize it for the members that are not interested in reading a complete book on warranty laws.

Not one single modification will void anything unless your warranty states that there are specific modifications that are not allowed. Putting aftermarket parts on your motorcycle does not void anything regardless of what any dealer will tell you.The warranty will still exist in it's original form and you can still have items repaired at the cost of the warranty regardless of how many aftermarket parts are on your bike.

HOWEVER, if you have a malfunction and the dealership can determine and prove that your aftermarket part failed or is the root cause of your malfunction then that specific repair will not be covered under the warranty. You will be personally responsible to cover all the costs of the repairs in this case. Yet still, this DOES NOT void the warranty, it still remains intact and the same as it was before this repair.

This is how it is in most cases, there are certain instances where a specific wording in the warranty terms may effect your outcome, but this is highly uncommon.

So to give a couple quick examples:

1) If you install a slip on exhaust and your radiator developed a leak. Your warranty will cover the cost of a new radiator. Because the two items are completely unrelated.

2) If you install a tuning device and something within the tuning device short circuits and frys your electrical system, your warranty will not cover the cost to fix this and will be responsible for the repairs. If the week following the repairs your rear view mirror no longer stays in place while riding, your warranty does still exist and you will be covered for the cost of the repair.

And now for the legal stuff to back it up, it is called the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act and here is the link everything you need to know.

http://business.ftc.gov/documents/bus01-businesspersons-guide-federal-warranty-law#intro

·
Registered
561 Posts
great post thanks for the info... now i just need to find out which mods are legal/illegal in california. i really want to do the fender eliminator, but i've gotten a ticket before for not having mud flaps on my rear truck tires. Dont need anymore trouble from the local "fuzz", (do people still call them "the fuzz" or am i dating myself). Anyways thanks for the link....

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What do you guys think about making this a sticky? I am bias because it is my own thread but if you guys think the forum will benefit from it I can sticky it.. I posted this up because we were starting to get a lot of warranty questions.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Vote for Sticky...... Plus it covers most bikes and not just the 300 also.

·
Registered
177 Posts
What warrentys are void for a slip on? cause thats all ive done so far.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.