Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife is giving me hell because I want to get a motorcycle. I plan on getting the 300 this month, maybe thiz week, but my wife is not feeling that. Is/has anyone experienced this and what was the outcome.

·
Registered
171 Posts
My g/f didn't want me riding anything but a scooter. 2 bikes & 3 years later she's still with me.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Maybe I am the luckiest guy EVER!!! My wife does not only want me to eventually get another bike, she wants one too!!!! She likes the cruisers though........ In a couple of years looks like we will have a Ninja 300 or newer ZX-6R 636 (if I get the new job on Thursday) and some kind of cruiser. She is leaning toward a red used Vulcan 500.

Reactions: GreenSmitten

·
Registered
463 Posts
i had the same deal but with my mom, i just went and bought it and brought it home , i really didnt care what she said really, is better to ask for forgiveness than for permission

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have you taken her to a dealership to let her see the bikes in person? Maybe that will help.
No, I did not take her, but she is adamant about me not getting the bike. All I hear is, it is dangerous and people die on them. I am thinking to myself, people die all the time. Most die just enjoying life and trying to be safe, etc.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I'm hardly a relationship expert here but... talk to her about why she's so dead set on you not getting a motorcycle. What concerns her the most?

You out galavanting around on a sports bike and picking up chicks at every stop?

The fact the Ninja 300 looks like some sort of Super Sport bike that you could literally kill yourself on?

Motorcycle crash statistics that have her worried you'll end up dead or reliant on her care?

Cost?

Once you know what her concerns are you can try and address some of them and that might make her a little more cool with the purchase.

If it's crash statistics you can pull them up yourself and show her that while there are a large number of motorcycle crashes where people have died, the statistics show that if they had been wearing their helmet they would've survived. And then promise to always wear your helmet. Also show her how the ABS option on the bike can reduce the probability of an accident by about 31%

If it's about the look of the bike, maybe look at a cruiser instead.

If it's about picking up chicks...well, that one you'll have to come up with a solution for. Because I don't want one.

That's my 2 cents.

·
Registered
15 Posts
No, I did not take her, but she is adamant about me not getting the bike. All I hear is, it is dangerous and people die on them. I am thinking to myself, people die all the time. Most die just enjoying life and trying to be safe, etc.
I am an EMT I have seen lots of death. Yes on motorcycles, but 90% of those were on crotch rockets going 130 mph on a busy interstate with no gear. The others were people riding safely some with proper gear some without. That said I love bikes........I know other EMTs and Medics that love bikes. Life is to short to worry on what will and won't kill you. I have seen people die from an unknown heart condition will taking a dump on the toilet. If she is going to worry that much about the bike killing you tell her you aren't going to drive a car or fly anywhere because that might kill you. Yes bikes are dangerous. Yes you can die on them, but you can die doing pretty much anything these days. We don't have long on this earth so why not enjoy it. Being a Christian I believe there is an afterlife for me to enjoy. That said I will still enjoy my life and live it to the fullest. Again I guess I am a lucky guy, but my wife not only supports me getting another bike, but wants one for herself. She has the same outlook on life as I do. I guess that's why she was my friend for 4 years, dated was engaged for 2 years and has stuck with me in marriage almost 2 years despite how crazy I drive her.

·
Registered
250 Posts
take the MSF beginner course. Tell her it's run by professionals and it will teach you how to be safe on the road. She can have some confidence that you at least took training on how to ride before you get it. Also show her the gear you plan on getting and how it will save your skin. People think a jacket's just a jacket and riding pants are just upmarked leather pants. Show her that the reality is that the materials are constructed very tough and some even have pads in them to protect vital parts.

My mom used to be scared of me getting one. Now she says I look like a space man and laughs. My parents now want to borrow my Ninja to take it up to Big Bear. Ha....

·
Registered
67 Posts
My wife was the same way. Then she saw me ride and realized it wasn't that bad. It still took a little convincing but once she saw how much fun I was having and that I knew what i was doing she was ok.

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
My wife is giving me hell because I want to get a motorcycle. I plan on getting the 300 this month, maybe this week, but my wife is not feeling that. Is/has anyone experienced this and what was the outcome.

nope haven’t experienced this.my wife was riding motorcycle when i asked her on a date, infact it was the biggest reason why i did in the first place.6 weeks later i asked her to marry me, 6 months later we were married,been married 10 years now:cool:

i do understand why she doesn’t want to let you have it, i have no doubt she is concerned for your safety . i bet she loves you dearly & doesn’t want her much loved husband to become a statistic.

i assume your going to buy full riding gear & do a motorcycle training course & show her you will be a responsible rider & read some books on the topic as well. this will go a *LONG* way to showing your wife you will be here for sometime yet

·
Fast Lane Ukraine
1,343 Posts
i had the same deal but with my mom, i just went and bought it and brought it home , i really didnt care what she said really, is better to ask for forgiveness than for permission
I'm in the same boat right now. My mom has a passion for hating bikes because her dad wrecked on one back in Ukraine when she was a little girl. It's not helped by the fact that my cousin spun a rear tire on a turn a few years ago and that my sister-in-laws younger brother lost the use of his arm for a few years after doing a highspeed pass (120+) and someone turning left into him.

Pretty much any accident I have ever heard of involving bikes (except for one where a dump truck plowed into a group of harleys at a red light), all have been caused by Squids (including my family) doing something they shouldn't have been doing.

She is a HUGE worry wart. The only thing I'm worried about is stressing her out and her having a heart issue, something happening.

But, like many of you have said, I can crash on my Infiniti doing 55mph because someone pulled out in front of me or while flying to Houston on my next business trip or something. Death is lurking around every corner. If it's my time to go, it's my time to go. Only the Lord Jesus knows.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Seriously, can you blame her? I assume her world is invested in you to provide financially and emotionally for the kids and her. You will be whipping around two ton blocks of moving steel with no protection and small tire patch area. Of course she is concerned. We can blah blah blah about riding safely but motorcycle riding IS fucking dangerous.

I did not get my street bike until I was single and the kids were grown and independent.

Keeping it real...

·
Registered
116 Posts
I think your wife's apprehension is genuine; I don't believe she's opposed to it under false assumptions. Let's face the facts --- Accidents can occur any place, any day, anywhere. And accidents on a bike is almost always more precarious than if you were in a cager.

I'm in my mid 30s. I've wanted a bike since I was a teen. My wife knew that, and even though she wasn't thrilled, she finally gave her blessings.

I told my wife I won't push my luck at ALL times, and safety would be my priority.
My occupation involves operating heavy machineries where safety is always a concern, and only after years of trust I've instilled in her did she approve it.

Tell her you'll ride safely, but you also have to mean it and follow it.
Maybe she'll okay it then.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts