Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 182 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried running a wider tyre on the rear of the 300?
Just wondering if it will take anything larger?

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
is our wheel a 4 or a 4.5 I dont remember now.. if its a 4.5 I was reading online about guys doing a 170 tire on it, granted that was other style bikes, but it looks like we have a decent amount of clearance on the swingarm

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
is our wheel a 4 or a 4.5 I dont remember now.. if its a 4.5 I was reading online about guys doing a 170 tire on it, granted that was other style bikes, but it looks like we have a decent amount of clearance on the swingarm

It is 4". There doesn't look to be a lot of space left in that swingarm, so it will be interesting to see what fits. Maybe a 150/60?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Seen on youtube theres a few boys running 160/70/17 on there 250rs with no mods to the swingarm... So thats good!

I wonder if kawasaki changed the swingarms for the 300 and made them wider for the 140 tyre?? I know the frames different..

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I'm not too sure about changing out the back for a wider tire. I haven't done enough research to be sure, but from what I've read it has the potential to mess up the handling. You'd think a larger contact patch would be better, but I'm not so sure about that with this bike...

·
Registered
446 Posts
Same here. I was thinking once my tires wear out ill probably go the widest I can, just for more grip.
It may provide more grip during acceleration (which this bike doesn't need)

During hard stops your rear shouldn't be doing anything anyway.

If you do it the only positive will be the aesthetics, the handling will be worse since the wider rear will make the bike harder to lean over

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Yea, I spent a good chunk of time doing additional research and found that what Mike and cbzdel said above is accurate.

Adding a wider tire than spec does the following:
- adds rotating mass making it more difficult to lean the bike over into a corner
- disrupts handling and breaking performance by raising up the rear of the bike too high
- Makes it slightly more difficult for shorter riders to get proper footing when stopped
- If the rim size is not modified along with the larger tire, the added tire circumference actually causes it to balloon outwards, decreasing the usable contact patch for cornering, accelerating and breaking
- Perceived improvement in performance is mostly due to riders picking a softer, stickier rubber compound when buying the larger tire

However, if you modify the suspension, add a wider rim to match the wider tire, and do a lot of testing to make sure you did it right, there can be an improvement. For example, Some 250R racing bikes are fitted with 140mm tires. But they undergo a lot of modifications and testing to get the modification dialed in. But consider this, they don't go any larger than 140mm for that size of bike. So considering the 300 already had a 140mm tire, I see no reason to go bigger.

It's more fun to go quick in the corners than have a slightly better appearance (arguably)

·
Registered
237 Posts
Just an FYI to newbie riders that read this thread.. There are no positives to a larger rear tire.. Most people but a big tire for the look, and think it must be better because it comes on bigger bikes.. This is NOT the case.

Its worse in every aspect because the bike is not designed for it..
The advantage is some tires like the new bstone S20s only are made down to a 150.

Reactions: Rookie

·
Registered
554 Posts
It's purely for aesthetics. It's just to make the bike look like a larger bike than it actually is. This is especially obvious on 150cc or 200cc bikes. I feel like with the Ninja 300 the rear tires don't look especially small compared to the body. It looks nice. I've seen some 150 (the cbr) it looks like a bicycle/dirt bike. Tires are super narrow.

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
I have a 150 Conti supermoto tire on my 300's 4" wide rear wheel, the same size I run on my KTM 530 supermoto wheels that are 4.25" wide. A quarter inch width difference is meaningless IMO, and the tire is a massive upgrade in every way over the stock IRC Road Weiners without a doubt.

I also have a 120 on the front and the bike is ever so slightly heavier to turn in but feels totally planted and is still super light to turn or transition. Again, the same width and tire I have on my KTM which is over 100 lbs lighter and over 10 HP stroinger.

If you like/love the stock tires you don't need anything more but don't think a 120/150 combo is going to throw you off the bike or cause the wheels to disintegrate beneath you!

1 - 20 of 182 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.