Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts
He made a valid point if what he talked about applies to you. If you have some trouble with the weight, height, speed of the 250r, then you are likely to have even more trouble with the 300. His argument is that the smallest Ninja is no longer a good beginner bike. He might think a CBR 125 would be a better beginner's bike if it were available.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
I dont understand the concept of a "beginner bike" I started with zero experience straight to a 600 with no problems.. I wouldnt call the 250R or the 300 a beginner bike, you want beginner get a Schwinn haha.

What percentage of the general population goes and buys what they consider to be a "beginner car" when they learn how to drive..

·
Registered
37 Posts
I dont understand the concept of a "beginner bike" I started with zero experience straight to a 600 with no problems.. I wouldnt call the 250R or the 300 a beginner bike, you want beginner get a Schwinn haha.

What percentage of the general population goes and buys what they consider to be a "beginner car" when they learn how to drive..
From what I noticed, the smaller CC bikes are apparently the beginner bikes. people get the idea that the more CC you go the more chances you have of losing control cause of all the power.

I have seen beginners hop on Gixxers and not fall once. I guess it depends from person to person.

·
Registered
112 Posts
People that start on a 600cc or higher as their first bike are just like those that have a "supercar" (Corvette, high HP Mustang or Camero, Viper, ect...) as their first car. Anyone that get a high HP vehicle that treat it with respect and learn on it before ripping into it's power can get away with verifying a supercar purchase. Those that tap into that power too soon, well. We all know it is a matter of time until they wreck the bike or themselves (which ever is more important to them). So many people have succeeded in learning and surviving on a > 600cc bike. As do the < 600cc bikes.

The original about video of the guy complaining about the weight of the 300...
It is still a budget bike. I am sure if their was a strong enough market for a 300 supersport (lighter frame, upgraded suspension and brakes, sportier riding position, ect.) Then they would make it. Downfall = price likely be $9099 at its lowest. Likely not to have traction control and other big bike goodies. Oh wait... why not just get a 600-1000cc supersport... used for $9000! This 300 is a sport bike (regular, standard, basic, short touring, city low speed travel). It is for those that need something faster, stronger (for some better looking as in personal image of not being on a scooter) than a scooter. Same as those that want a SS because they "need" more speed, power and image of not being on a skimpy bike. If your thing is illegal speeds on closed or open roads or Track Days, go for your SS. If not a cruiser, touring, sport, standard, scooter might be for you.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Stop at 7:15. Wrong. The 600RR is heavier. Kawi is advertising curb weight this guy is talking dry (irrelevant) weight. The CBR (I own an 08 600RR) is over 400lbs curb weight.

He also knows NOTHING about what makes a good beginner bike.

Yeah let's listen to the opinion of a guy who has never ridden the bike!!

NOOOOT

Idiot idiot idiot. Normally don't like to be rude, but this guy has no clue what he's talking about.

·
Registered
446 Posts
People that start on a 600cc or higher as their first bike are just like those that have a "supercar" (Corvette, high HP Mustang or Camero, Viper, ect...) as their first car. Anyone that get a high HP vehicle that treat it with respect and learn on it before ripping into it's power can get away with verifying a supercar purchase. Those that tap into that power too soon, well. We all know it is a matter of time until they wreck the bike or themselves (which ever is more important to them). So many people have succeeded in learning and surviving on a > 600cc bike. As do the < 600cc bikes.
I never compare cars to bikes. Even if you start driving in a Corvette, you aren't going to drop the Vette backing out and destroy the body. Even if you drive like an idiot you probably won't get seriously injured or killed. The first time you pull up on your 600 next to another 600 and the guy takes off onto the freeway...you'll be very tempted to keep up. Next thing you know you're doing 150mph and don't know how the bike handles at 150. You see a cop and grab the brakes and can't make it through the turn that seemed so small at 65mph. You fly through the oncoming lane, off the road, and are sliced apart by a steel fence. I watched this happen years ago and will never forget seeing the insides of a person I had lunch with an hour earlier.

I started on a bike that was WAY too much and I was only 16. I had already learned on a dirtbike and rode a moped for a year on the street. I crashed at 140 and it is a miracle I am here to tell about it. Later I bought a 250R and learned the right way.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Besides the way the guy gives his opinion about the ninja 300, I kinda like of having watched the video. Doesn't heavier bike means better adherence of tires to the ground?

I've heard, back in 80's, the old Yamaha RD350 (2 stroke) was known as the black widow because of the lack of breaking power due to its extreme lightweight compared to its agility...

I don't agree when he says "Kawasaki didn't make it with less weight because they didn't want to spend money developing lightweight materials". Wrong! They don't need to develop new materials, they are already developed, but would increase the cost of the bike making no sense to pay more for a 300cc bike.

Sent from my Motorola PT550 using Motorcycle.com Android app

·
Registered
4 Posts
A lot of prattle that makes no sense from this guy. It all started when he shared with us how badly his life sucked... Quick call the Waaaaambulance!
When he talked about no bike ever getting stated hp values on a dyno run, he was totally correct though - because all manufacturers figures are crank (direct from engine) hp not rear wheel hp! (about 6:05 in the video).

I did some quick research.

In Canada:

Manufacturers published price (rounded up to nearest $):
CBR600RR (developed from the RC211V Moto GP bike) = $13,000.00 (after $1000 rebate)
Ninja 300 ABS (developed from the Ninja 250) = $5800.00 (no rebate)
Why even mention the two bikes in the same video? They are worlds apart!

Power specs as found from Google searches:
CBR600RR:
in 2003 - 2004 the hp was 117.2
in 2008 - 2011 hp dropped to 102.2!!
During the same time frame torque also dropped on the CBR by 3.5 lbs/ft

Ninja 250 = 26 - 30 depending on the source of figures.
Ninja 300 = 39 by most sources.
Torque increased by 4 lbs/ft

Manufacturers published weight:
CBR600RR = 196 kg or 432 lbs
Ninja 300 = 172 kg or 378 lbs

JC

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.