Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone please explain to me the purpose or need to rev your bike all the way to the redline? When would you ever need that? I find changing gears at around 4k/5k to be enough, and I've gone all the way up to 100mph on sixth gear while still at 10k/11k, so why do it? Is it really just to be a badass, or is there some sort or scenario where that many revs will give you better performance? Sorry for the noob question.

·
Registered
37 Posts
This bike shines from about 6k to redline. I think it's fine how you are shifting on the street however if you ever take your bike to the track you will get smoked shifting at 4 or 5k while others are making most of this engine taking it to the redline

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Because you can. And the bike can.

And thats where the bike makes peak power, 10500rpm.

And because its fun.

Oh and because you can.

Did I also mention that its fun?

Just ribbin with ya. ;) If you wanna shift at 4-5K rpm, that is all good mate. Personally I bought the bike to get the most out of it I could, both performance wise and fun factor. The sound eminating from that little twin when at 10 grand upwards is awesome, and these motors are made to rev high, they love it.

Depends on your excitement levels too, I prefer to not go very fast in speed, but get there very fast. In other words I like getting to 100km/hr as fast as possible, as thats my speed limits in my area anyway. Others like getting to 180km/hr, doesnt matter how long it takes to get there, as long as they are going super speed........and breaking every law. Acceleration vs Speed, acceleration wins for me.

So you said you hit 100mph in 6th by your own admission, I would have to ask why the purpose or need to take your bike to those speeds. When would you ever need that? To me going that speed hits the mark of trying to be a badass more than taking your bike to redline. Bikes are made to rev, people arent made to speed.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Over 2000 miles total here and the highest I have seen is 9.5k avoiding a Moron in a dump truck that wanted to pull over in front of me with a load on an Interstate overpass that would have jarred some debris loose from his load.

Peak torque starts at 6k and that is plenty of power for me when shifting. In most cases 5 k is fine. I'll run it as low as 3k in 6th when just maintaining speed.

And 68 MPG ain't bad either.

regards
Mech

·
Registered
630 Posts
I like to push the bike throughout its powerband. I typically shift around 10k. I enjoy the acceleration and if I'm on a street where I know I'll be changing lanes often, I ride at around 7k rpm so I can move around easily. A lot of drivers here decide blinkers aren't required so it's okay to just stop and turn into a shopping center with no notice. Mostly the elderly!

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
4-5k? I feel like I'm putting around if I'm under 6-7k.. I like to cruise around 6k so there's some power if you need it.. any lower is doggy..

Edit: "ECO" mode doesn't turn off until roughly 8.1k..

·
Registered
392 Posts
4-5k feels sluggish to me. Sometimes it's nice to sit in the powerband just in case you need it at a moments notice. I roughly change gears around 8k myself.

Reactions: GHill762

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Like Old Mechanic, when I'm puttering around in city traffic, I shift at 4.5K and cruise at 3-4K (depending on incline). But when merging onto a highway, or if I just feel like tearing off a set of lights, the bike really shines in the higher rev range and gets you up to speed real quick :)

In heavy highway traffic, when I need to get over several lanes, I'll often let a gap open in front of me and hang the bike at 6-7K. If a spot opens in the lane I'm trying to get into, I can accelerate into it the open spot.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Since I ride big bikes with high revs too, I find myself near redline a lot on the 300 because it is so quiet and a small engine. Super sports just start waking up at 8000 rpms and become like a whole other bike from 8000 on.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I cruise around 7 and shift at 9 normally unless I feel like having fun then I redline it. I feel like 6 and above is when this bike starts to get really fun. Oh and the way the engine sounds up at those really high rpms, just beautiful.

·
Registered
292 Posts
How long does it take you to get to 100mph at 5k rpm? Are you at full throttle while doing this?
I imagine old people with walkers would make it across an intersection before you do hahaha ;)

I tried driving around for a week at lower than 7k and half throttle, I found that cars would pass me frequently and my gas mileage went down. Cages passing me means I'm not safe and lower gas mileage is an obvious fault.

I get to 45mph in second or third before shifting up to 6th to cruise.
Are you saying redlining while cruising or accelerating is stupid? or both?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Can anyone please explain to me the purpose or need to rev your bike all the way to the redline? When would you ever need that? I find changing gears at around 4k/5k to be enough, and I've gone all the way up to 100mph on sixth gear while still at 10k/11k, so why do it? Is it really just to be a badass, or is there some sort or scenario where that many revs will give you better performance? Sorry for the noob question.
Change gears at 4k/5k on a highway with this little.big.bike is like put a turbo in a small car and never push it to his limits... go crazy, bro, otherwise you can buy a 125cc...
Hahaha just kidding about the 125cc, but is all about fun, if you have fun changing gears at 3/4/5/6...11k, keep doing it!

(Bad English, sorry... Doing my best here! Heheh)

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
How long does it take you to get to 100mph at 5k rpm? Are you at full throttle while doing this?
I imagine old people with walkers would make it across an intersection before you do hahaha ;)

I tried driving around for a week at lower than 7k and half throttle, I found that cars would pass me frequently and my gas mileage went down. Cages passing me means I'm not safe and lower gas mileage is an obvious fault.

I get to 45mph in second or third before shifting up to 6th to cruise.
Are you saying redlining while cruising or accelerating is stupid? or both?
You can't. I cruise around 7-8k on a 65mph road in 6th gear.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Change gears at 4k/5k on a highway with this little.big.bike is like put a turbo in a small car and never push it to his limits... go crazy, bro...otherwise you can buy a 125cc... Hahahah
Just kidding about the 125cc, but its all about fun, if you have fun changing the gears at 2/3/4..11k, keep doing it!!!!

(Bad English, sorry!! Haha doing my best here!) :D

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wow, I guess I must have hit a nerve. For the record, I mean no disrespect if you like to redline your bike. I guess I'm just used to being discouraged to do that in cars because it messes up the engine (maybe that's wrong too?), but I was curious as to why it's okay in motorcycles since I read it in some of the break-in threads.

Also, I might be exaggerating with the 4/5K rev shift change, it might be closer to 6/7k, I don't pay much attention because I'm looking at the road instead of my dash.

So you said you hit 100mph in 6th by your own admission, I would have to ask why the purpose or need to take your bike to those speeds. When would you ever need that? To me going that speed hits the mark of trying to be a badass more than taking your bike to redline. Bikes are made to rev, people arent made to speed.
As for my 100mph, for the record I did it once just because I was curious, so I did it on a straight part of the freeway for two seconds, before I went back down cause I was too scared lol.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Wow, I guess I must have hit a nerve. For the record, I mean no disrespect if you like to redline your bike. I guess I'm just used to being discouraged to do that in cars because it messes up the engine (maybe that's wrong too?), but I was curious as to why it's okay in motorcycles since I read it in some of the break-in threads.
Sportbikes are meant to be operated differently from a car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I love riding the bike near 8 or 9k but I don't because I'm afraid of hurting the engine. I'm used to driving a car.

So I shift near 5k and try to keep the rpms under 5k. So riding the bike in the upper half of the rpms won't cause any extra wear on the engine?

I guess I'm afraid of damaging my shiny new toy.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts