Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Hero of Time
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friends made fun of me for starting off with a Ninja 300. I went riding with them on friday and one of the guys I don't really know crashed right in front of me going 120mph on an R1. He had it for 2 days. Wonder if they'll ask me why I didn't start off with a liter bike still.

http://i.imgur.com/vWiZvIR.jpg

Here is an image to visualize what happened.

http://i.imgur.com/Lvq1Yrn.jpg

He was leading a group of 5, going 120 down a little road that turned into a dead end due to construction. He got on the rear brake too hard when he panicked and saw the dead end ahead(despite being about 400 ft from the stop) he high sided, got thrown off to the right and landed in the grass ditch, somehow cleared the 3ft barriers on the side. His bike slid for a solid 300+ ft, hit the curb, and flipped 2-3 times before landing in the muddy grass.
The rider walked away with some road rash the size of a half dollar on his shin, and a bloody wrist. I have no clue how, he said the last time he checked his speed before braking he was at 121. He was wearing 0 gear besides a helmet. If he was wearing gloves/leg protection, he wouldn't have suffered a single injury despite crashing at that speed. The bike is totalled.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
sucks to hear but since he's alright, hope he takes the time to wisen up! very few people on the street get an opportunity to walk away from things like that...

·
Registered
14 Posts
What a riding career, he will never ride again. Hope the 2 days was worth it. Insurance will drop him, and likely not pay the claim. Theres usually a claim in the policy that says something to the fact that they wont pay if a felony is being commited, going 120 will usually get you a felony.

·
Hero of Time
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah I know. but I can't say with 100% certainty I wouldn't have been a dumbass with that much power at my fingertips.

he had no insurance and isn't claiming it. luckily the cops etc. were never called for him because he was fine and it was on a back road.

and yes I also posted this on reddit ShiftingGears

·
Registered
993 Posts
Nope, he will get another liter bike, he walked away from a 120mph crash with just a few road rash marks without wearing gear, he now has a god complex and will probably never buy gear to wear.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Part of me really wanted a Daytona 675. I actually went and test drove one here locally and was about the go ahead with it. I was riding my Vulcan over to see friends, not paying a whole lot of attention and took the wrong line into an easy corner. I saw my mistake, throttled back a bit and put it into a harder lean and was out no problem.

After the fact I thought about it and knew that if I'd been on that Daytona I'd have been in the ditch. It was a small mistake, but I don't have the reaction times yet to fix it on a super sport. I still catch myself doing little things like that and as long as I do I'm going to be happy on my 300 or my old Vulcan.

·
Registered
958 Posts
There's enough stuff to master on a smaller bike. Almost guaranteed you will go into a curve too hot, lose control in your own driveway or a gas station going very slowly, hit the front brake going like 2 miles an hour with the bike turned, hit some loose gravel, sand, mud or oil, etc. etc. I would much rather be on a 300 than a liter bike when that happened to me. Nobody had to convince me though. When I started riding, I was terrified by big and fast bikes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts