Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got the akrapovic slip-on exhaust installed today...love look and the deeper sound when reving it and can feel slightly more torque in the lower gears :cool:...but kinda sounds more like stock in the higher gears to me :confused:...who else has this exhaust out there and your thoughts on it?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Just got the akrapovic slip-on exhaust installed today...love look and the deeper sound when reving it and can feel slightly more torque in the lower gears :cool:...but kinda sounds more like stock in the higher gears to me :confused:...who else has this exhaust out there and your thoughts on it?
I think the feeling of more torque in the lower gears is just psychological as the bike is now louder than before. It has been dyno proven that a slip on muffler increases nothing except sound as the restriction is not in the muffler, it is in the header and catalytic converter. The different sound in higher gears is probably because you are moving faster than you are with the lower gears therefore a lot of the sound radiates behind you instead of around. The faster you go, the less sound you will hear from your bike at the same RPM than at a lower speed. Physics..........who needs that shit, this is a motorcycle forum :rolleyes:

To get the most out of your slip on I would recommend either de-catting your OEM header or installing one of the tuners available.

Or both :D

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey guys just got my akra slip on and it has an air leak on the bottom where the pipe slips on my clamp is super tight already. Do i need sealant or gasket maker? Thanks

·
Registered
958 Posts
I have the Akropovic slip-on, I love it. I don't notice any similarity between the Akro and the stock muffler sound wise. All my friends say it sounds completely different, and worlds better. I can't say it's faster for sure, if it is, it's probably from the weight reduction, the stock muffler weighed a ton!

As far as an air leak Ninjago, I had no problems with mine. Perhaps you should check the stock pipe and the Akro to make sure there are no bends or dents that would prevent it from sealing properly. Mine installed perfectly in 20 minutes.

Reactions: Ninjago

·
Registered
344 Posts
Have to agree with the comment about slip-ons being beautiful noise makers and not much more. For a lot of folks that is all they want, sound and looks.

There are few full systems on the market now for our bikes if you want more performance with about a 50% price increase over the slip-on alone. Your choice. Just know the difference before you buy.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I think the feeling of more torque in the lower gears is just psychological as the bike is now louder than before. It has been dyno proven that a slip on muffler increases nothing except sound as the restriction is not in the muffler, it is in the header and catalytic converter. The different sound in higher gears is probably because you are moving faster than you are with the lower gears therefore a lot of the sound radiates behind you instead of around. The faster you go, the less sound you will hear from your bike at the same RPM than at a lower speed. Physics..........who needs that shit, this is a motorcycle forum :rolleyes:

To get the most out of your slip on I would recommend either de-catting your OEM header or installing one of the tuners available.

Or both :D

From what I've heard the catalystic converter has something to do with fuel emition standards and South africa doesn't have those same high standards.I have been told that taking it out will improve performance.does it affect the bike in any other way?

·
Registered
8 Posts
How much louder is the akrapovic than stock? I was hoping not to get something incredibly loud, just better exhaust sound

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
I felt mine revved out quicker too, and I'm well aware of the extra noise being deceptive, I am the sound Nazi at my club track.

It is the quietest I've heard in the slip on category, and has the best sound too, IMO. No blatty, fartyness. Just good, smooth deep tone.

If you have an air leak try some hi temp sealant at the joint.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
From what I've heard the catalystic converter has something to do with fuel emition standards and South africa doesn't have those same high standards.I have been told that taking it out will improve performance.does it affect the bike in any other way?
"Catalytic Converter".

If you have no emissions testing or anything of the likes over there mate, take it out for sure. Keep in mind though very little will happen without a tuner, it will make it slightly louder and breather better though. And ever so slightly louder.

And it makes your exhaust stink to all buggery. Although I have always had that smell on my bikes due to never having any type of cat, but to those who are used to the stock smell and then remove the catalytic converter or get a full system it can be a bit of a shock how different it smells.

And when I say take it out, its not quite as simple as that. You have to cut or saw your header pipe behind the catalytic converter, smash out the material that is inside and reweld the header pipe in the same position again. If your handy with tools and fabrication, piece of piss. If your not......I would get someone else to do it. I cant imagine it would cost you all that much over your way to have a local fab shop/workshop do a bit of hammer and smash for ya.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts