Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the last mechanic who changed my oil last (i.e. me) was a real dumbass, because he didn't torque the drain bolt properly. So while I was riding last week the drain bolt fell out and sprayed oil all over my rear tire. I noticed this because all of a sudden I was spinning out and swerving like crazy.

Thankfully I was just around the corner from home. Don't think the oil light ever came on, and after I shut the bike off and grabbed an oil pan there was still a bit leaking out.

Anyway, I hit the rear tire with some Purple Power spray and then some liquid detergent and water, just for good measure. But I noticed this wear on my rear tire. These tires (Diablo Rosso II's) are literally a week old. How bad is this? Should I just go get a new tire put on?

Also, even after putting in about 2.5 qts my oil window isn't showing anything. This is a problem others have posted about but I've never seen a clear solution.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
wear looks even on both sides. without seeing a better photo of both sides, I'd gather somebody's been hitting them twisties and wore out those chicken strips, even if that's not the case you're gonna be ok running that back tire. A well made tire such as that is meant to withstand petroleum distillates and such. I'd go easy on the cleaning supplies next time though, if it happens again just some mild soap and water or a dry rag should be just fine. I'm not a professional just speaking from my own personal experiences.

p.s. I've always had issues with my oil view glass, I went an oz at a time above 2.5 qts until it filled the glass completely, it only took a few. I then carefully removed the excess and I've been able to see it through the glass since.

Hope I've been able to help.
-Wowaski

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I appreciate the reply! But just to be clear: that chunky looking wear on the left side of the tire in the photo... that's just from wearing off the chicken strips? It's odd to me that that's only on one side of the rear tire, though I was doing some twisties along highway 1 just before I noticed this....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts