Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those that decat'd their header, what did you do with your cat?

A while back these were getting stolen because they have platinum in them. Anybody able to turn theirs into some cash?

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
you dont get much for them, I took them from my offload rig about 6 years ago and I only got $27 for two of them, and I had to fill out these huge applications about how they are not stolen, and I had to have 2 forms of ID and I had to wait 1 week for them to process them because they were getting stolen so much..

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
they could figure it out if they really wanted to....

the bigger thing is no one would decat their stock exhaust and exhaust mods are pretty much illegal in general, so you just going to get fined anyway..

·
Registered
630 Posts
i would be surprised if it is any more then 4/5th's of bugger all
It's going to be pretty damn similar to a full exhaust.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Again without a tuner it will do bugger all. It is essentially an open exhaust if you decat and already have a slip on. With the stock muffler, it wont do stuff all.

I had a slip on and decatted my header. Didn't feel an ounce of difference, if anything like mentioned, I felt I had lost some bottom end torque.

Put in the fuel injection module/tuner.................whole different story.

So essentially you can have a full exhaust system and tuner for a very small price. The only advantage of an actual full system in my opinion is the bigger diameter pipework, and the fact that the stock exhaust pipework is ugly as sin compared to the aftermarket systems.

I would have been quite happy with simply the decatted header, if I didn't have to come out to my bike every day and see that pretzel shaped header poking out from the front. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
630 Posts
I would have been quite happy with simply the decatted header, if I didn't have to come out to my bike every day and see that pretzel shaped header poking out from the front. :rolleyes:
I'm sure the extra $300-400 in your pocket makes up for it!

I've got a tuner and a slip-on right now, trying to find someone (reliable) to do the decat for me.

I'm kind of curious if it would be worth cutting out the bellypan where the cat was and putting in a a same length pipe of the same diameter of the rest of the system. If I'm going to have it cut open it wouldn't be much more difficult to do.

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
man oh man the amount of stuff around you guys will do to get an extra half of bugger all hp out of your bikes , its just crazy.

honestly if you really want to pull your exhaust off the bike and cut the cat open & decat it and reweld it and put it back on , honestly you would be better off buying a full system to begin with, iti will save you a lot of stuffing around and the stock exhaust is pretty easy damaged, ask Jeff he knows, whats why he bought a full system in he first place

·
Registered
630 Posts
man oh man the amount of stuff around you guys will do to get an extra half of bugger all hp out of your bikes , its just crazy.

honestly if you really want to pull your exhaust off the bike and cut the cat open & decat it and reweld it and put it back on , honestly you would be better off buying a full system to begin with, iti will save you a lot of stuffing around and the stock exhaust is pretty easy damaged, ask Jeff he knows, whats why he bought a full system in he first place
Looking at area p's dyno charts, the gains are pretty big. http://areapnolimits.com/images/product/ninja-300-dyno-high-mount-areap.gif Maybe knock off a little hp because their customers headers are designed better than a decatted stock exhaust, but we're still talking 3+ hp gain.

We're talking 30 minutes of work to decat the stock exhaust. I don't think I'd be better off with a full system, unless you're going to pay the $400+ for the headpipes for me? I'd gladly take them!

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
I'm sure the extra $300-400 in your pocket makes up for it!

I've got a tuner and a slip-on right now, trying to find someone (reliable) to do the decat for me.

I'm kind of curious if it would be worth cutting out the bellypan where the cat was and putting in a a same length pipe of the same diameter of the rest of the system. If I'm going to have it cut open it wouldn't be much more difficult to do.
Was contemplating doing the same, would definitely help. But then would be pretty hard to pass off as being a stock header if you ever needed to.....

The 300-400 extra bucks I am glad I spent on the full exhaust though, the looks do not even compare to stock, especially the headers.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 33 Posts