Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, i'm new to this whole world of motorcycles and have no experience but i am very interested. I've been looking around and doing some research on everything i can about the whole concept of riding. Sadly, i don't have any friends that have bikes or share the same interest so i'm on my own here. I've been really interested in the kawasaki ninja 250r until i heard about the new 300. Instantly fell in love. Planning on getting my permit n license soon but heard it's good to go for the MFS course. After all is done, i plan on getting the 300 in black. Done research on gear (helmets mainly) n still trying to find out what insurance company is best recommended for someone at my skill level (which is none). Well, hey to everyone on here and where my fellow nyc people at?

·
Registered
865 Posts
I'm from NH, but I spend 4 years in college in hyde park NY, near poughkeepsie.
So I am familiar with the area haha welcome to the forum!

Try progressive and bikeline. Both have excellent rates.

I went with nationwide and had an insanly high quote, so I switched to progressive. that was just to get my bike and the loan, but now that thats all settled I am going to re-evaluate, M MSF course instructor said bikeline is the best/cheapest.

its a derivative from Markel. here is a link

http://markelinsuresfun.com/products/motorcycle

The MSF course is the best time and money spent ever. The insurance brake isnt big... 10 bucks or so? lolz... but I had no experience with bikes either, only scooters, an boy was it worth it!!! especially because I have never used a clutch on a bike before. Mess up on there bikes, not yours, but its nto hard and they explain it out really well, it may not seem liek it, but its mentally strenuous, drink lots of water and get sleep

Cheers friend!

Reactions: ayosebz

·
Registered
865 Posts
For sure! We are a wealth of knowledge ;D

Also, I pay a little under 1k a year for my ninja 300. I have 3 tickets still on record, but progressive is only counting 1. Nationwide was counting all 3.

I just did a quote with bike line and got full coverage (100/300) that most all loan companies require and my total was something like 520.

Needless to say, i'll be switching haha I could of done it online but I am going to call them up tomorrow and do it over the phone, just personal preference, that way I can ask questions and make sure my lean holder gets the paperwork they need, considering I am required full coverage and if I drop progressive and they dont get the paperwork for my new insurance, then It shows I dont have insurance and thats a no no haha

I just like going the extra mile so all my pins fall into place for later. That way no missunderstandings or mishaps happen.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For sure! We are a wealth of knowledge ;D

Also, I pay a little under 1k a year for my ninja 300. I have 3 tickets still on record, but progressive is only counting 1. Nationwide was counting all 3.

I just did a quote with bike line and got full coverage (100/300) that most all loan companies require and my total was something like 520.

Needless to say, i'll be switching haha I could of done it online but I am going to call them up tomorrow and do it over the phone, just personal preference, that way I can ask questions and make sure my lean holder gets the paperwork they need, considering I am required full coverage and if I drop progressive and they dont get the paperwork for my new insurance, then It shows I dont have insurance and thats a no no haha

I just like going the extra mile so all my pins fall into place for later. That way no missunderstandings or mishaps happen.
Yeah that's a good bro n best of luck to u as well. Thanks for the heads up. I'll definitely take them to considerations when I get to getting my bike. Lol ill also ask the MSF people what they'd recommend as we'll just to see if they say the same thing. Now a different question, anything u'd recommend I should get for when I get my bike? So far I saw ur video n I am definitely getting a tank pad to prevent belt scratches cuz I do wear belts everyday. I also heard something about frame sliders?!?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yo, Brooklyn here! I got my 300 about two weeks ago and I love it. I've been riding vintage bikes up to now. This is the first bike I've ever had that doesn't have a kick starter.

Definitely take the MSS course. There is a lot more to surviving on the street than steering the bike and I think they have pretty good defensive driving training. I have GEICO insurance $380 for the year for minimum coverage in Brooklyn, I'm married, 57, and I had an accident last year which cost them nothing but I think it might have raised my rates. I don't have the good driver discount any more.

What part of NYC are you in? How did Sandy treat you? I can fill the tank with one jug of gas from the jug line at the gas station, that's nice. Hopefully the gas thing will get back to normal soon.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yo, Brooklyn here! I got my 300 about two weeks ago and I love it. I've been riding vintage bikes up to now. This is the first bike I've ever had that doesn't have a kick starter.

Definitely take the MSS course. There is a lot more to surviving on the street than steering the bike and I think they have pretty good defensive driving training. I have GEICO insurance $380 for the year for minimum coverage in Brooklyn, I'm married, 57, and I had an accident last year which cost them nothing but I think it might have raised my rates. I don't have the good driver discount any more.

What part of NYC are you in? How did Sandy treat you? I can fill the tank with one jug of gas from the jug line at the gas station, that's nice. Hopefully the gas thing will get back to normal soon.
Nice man. What part of Brooklyn u in if u don't mind me asking. I'm here in queens. Lol that's a good price but I honk for me it'll be a lot more since I'm younger as well n with no experience. Lol

Sandy was ok to me, didn't really do much around my house thank god but the rest of the blocks weren't so lucky. How bout u in Brooklyn? I know it hit coney n everywhere by the waters hard. Hope u n ur family are good n with power n everything. But how's the snow today? Lol it came out of nowhere right? Rediculous how we just returning from one storm n here comes another. Lol

But back to bikes, I hope the weather gets better so I can take my MSF course but I think I might hang in there till next year for my bike. Just wanna keep up to date u know. Maybe if the weather starts to act normal again I'll get one this year.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm deep in hipster Greenpoint where '70s Hondas go to die. Nothing happened to me in the storm but I know people that are seriously effed up, cars ruined, houses damaged, no power still. I have a 2nd floor space to work on the bikes, so they are OK.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I would suggest, get the minimum for now, unless you have some extra cash for some mods.

I would put on the bike: Frame sliders, rear spools, tank pad.

I would also pick up: Rear stand that works with the spools, front stand, battery maintainer(I got a solar one off northerntool.com for 30 bucks)

However!!! If you are planning n riding in the cold, get heated grips, and put in a 12v cigarette plug, Then buy some nice riding gear, or wear some heavy cloths.

But thats all relative, get your license first, then the MSF course, then the bike, then get a little ride time and start ordering your stuff, unless you have the extra money budgeted out already!! lol

Remember this is a sport bike, not a touring bike, so dont overdo it with the cargo haha but tank bags are defiantly nice for going to the store, or your gloves, keys wallet etc..
get a nice one, done cheap out on stuff your gonna have to live with for a long time ;D

Side note, frame sliders and rear spools are for protection, the rear spools also serve a better purpose with the jack stand, but assuming you dont crash, they arent necessary, however..... a little extra protection never hurt right? =D I figure if I am going down, I am going to get hurt anyways, may as well not add to the expense of the crash by having to fix more stuff on my bike. *knock on wood* I have'nt gone down yet!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would suggest, get the minimum for now, unless you have some extra cash for some mods.

I would put on the bike: Frame sliders, rear spools, tank pad.

I would also pick up: Rear stand that works with the spools, front stand, battery maintainer(I got a solar one off northerntool.com for 30 bucks)

However!!! If you are planning n riding in the cold, get heated grips, and put in a 12v cigarette plug, Then buy some nice riding gear, or wear some heavy cloths.

But thats all relative, get your license first, then the MSF course, then the bike, then get a little ride time and start ordering your stuff, unless you have the extra money budgeted out already!! lol

Remember this is a sport bike, not a touring bike, so dont overdo it with the cargo haha but tank bags are defiantly nice for going to the store, or your gloves, keys wallet etc..
get a nice one, done cheap out on stuff your gonna have to live with for a long time ;D

Side note, frame sliders and rear spools are for protection, the rear spools also serve a better purpose with the jack stand, but assuming you dont crash, they arent necessary, however..... a little extra protection never hurt right? =D I figure if I am going down, I am going to get hurt anyways, may as well not add to the expense of the crash by having to fix more stuff on my bike. *knock on wood* I have'nt gone down yet!
Hana yeah, I've been putting money on the side for awhile now to save for this that's why. But I totally understand. My main goal is to take the MSF course first n get my license n then bike but I plan on getting gear before or during the MSF course n then frame sliders n spools I will order before I get the bike cuz I like to have everything I need for the bike when I get it so I can out it on n everything's completely brand spanking new. :D I'm usually a quicker learn so let's hope I get the hang of riding quickly. I started off driving a huge pathfinder armada when I first learned to drive n took it straight on the highway. Lol I was a natural tho. I don't plan on doing the same with the bike but I just hope I can get the whole shifting concept. That's my man worry. But thanks a lot man for all the help n support. U will be my mentor. Lol

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm deep in hipster Greenpoint where '70s Hondas go to die. Nothing happened to me in the storm but I know people that are seriously effed up, cars ruined, houses damaged, no power still. I have a 2nd floor space to work on the bikes, so they are OK.
Nice bro. That's great that ur safe n all but my best regards goes out to those that have lost a lot.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.