Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a general question about modifications like a PC5 install, or a change of the exhaust. Are these the types of things that someone would normally have to tell their insurer about in order to keep the policy valid?

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
as soon as it happens. when i got my insurance for my bike i put down all the expensive extras like ventura rack, pc5, touring screen, two bro slipon

i didnt bother to add the rest as they were pretty cheap like +1 sprocket, swingarm spools, gel seat pad

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
as soon as it happens. when i got my insurance for my bike i put down all the expensive extras like ventura rack, pc5, touring screen, two bro slipon

i didnt bother to add the rest as they were pretty cheap like +1 sprocket, swingarm spools, gel seat pad
Do you mind saying whether stuff like the PC5 increased the cost of your cover? I'm just wondering whether mods that increase performance lead to the insurer charging more.

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
yes it increased the cost of my coverage but it wasnt much at all, my insurance for a year is about $500 so im not overly stressed over it

they didnt charge me extra cos the bike has extra performance, they charged me extra cos of the parts i bought with the bike i wanted covered my insurance

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
I would actually recommend you tell your insurance company BEFORE you get it. Some carriers will drop you for some performance mods so it's better to ask before hand rather than find out that they wont cover you because of a mod you did post crash.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I get 3,000 accessory and gear coverage for free with progressive. they said not to send them any info on mods until an event where it is needed. they did say to keep receipts but luckily i have all receipts on my email from online orders.
Great info, I also have the $3,000 accessory, and was wondering if I had to disclose my mods to them for that to be valid.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys, I guess my concerns were, to a lesser extent, whether premiums would increase but mainly whether not telling the insurer may invalidate cover in the event of an accident or, as Freelancer mentioned above, whether some insurers may simply drop someone's cover if they don't like a particular mod.

·
Registered
102 Posts
My friend is also my insurance agent and according to her progressive covers any mods as long as you keep a receipt for them in case of theft or total loss. So you should be covered up to $3000 without telling your agent, it wouldn't be a bad idea to brag to them a little about what you added if they are cool tho. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts