Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you are in say 2nd gear, and you are approaching a stop sign or stop light, is it okay to stay in 2nd gear, come to a complete stop using the brake, and while you are completely stopped, shift down to 1st gear?

Or should you shift down to 1st gear before you come to a complete stop every-time?

·
Registered
5,398 Posts
That should be fine as when you squeeze in the clutch, it's pretty much the same as neutral, but I would still learn to downshift so you can learn to engine break, and prolong the life of your brakes. You will still need to brake at the very end, but you will not be going as fast at all.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I hardly ever use first I just keep it in 2nd.
Okay, so what exactly do you do when you are stopped on a hill, and you need to take back off? Do you take off in 1st gear, or 2nd gear?

Some have said to just give the bike more throttle and put your foot on the rear brake, not the front brake when trying to take back off?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Yeah, that's totally fine. If you come down on first, it'll only make the bike scream on a high rpm. Just pull the clutch till you come to a complete stop then shift down.

·
Banned
1,037 Posts
Okay, so what exactly do you do when you are stopped on a hill, and you need to take back off? Do you take off in 1st gear, or 2nd gear?

Some have said to just give the bike more throttle and put your foot on the rear brake, not the front brake when trying to take back off?
If its a really step hill I will drop it in first if its like a normal free way exit I will keep it in 2nd and use the back brake to hold it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts