Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

Whats Your Favorite Ride / Route?

7K views 31 replies 21 participants last post by  iSurvived 
#1 ·
Just wondering what everyone's favorite ride is?

I'm lucky to live in Los Angeles, so my first few rides were on Sunset blvd, from Beverly Hills to the beach. Not a real extreme road, but lots of hills combined with sweeping turns.

Then I tried Mulholland. It's definitely a serious ride. From the Pacific Coast Hwy, I go up Malibu Canyon Rd, then north on Mulholland. This is the section of Mulholland known as "The Snake", and it's definitely the perfect name for this section of road. Every weekend there are lots of sport bikes up there all day long. And if you go, Be Careful, lots of people have crashed there (just check out YouTube) Another great thing about Malibu Cyn. Rd. and Mulholland is that the roads are Very well taken care of. No potholes or anything like that to worry about. :D

Also, there are lot's of photographers along the Snake, and they have websites that you can buy your pictures that they took of you if you choose (nice to have a few action shots of you and your bike) :D

#2 ·
Honestly here in vegas there are plenty of great rides. Sadly since I've bought this bike I've only been able to go out to lake mead and Hoover dam. Since I work down at the dam the ride down isn't as exciting anymore but the lake has sure changed. They replaced the road and now along with sticky new blacktop there's also a ton of gravel stuck to the road too. I've heard rumors from other riders here that they put the gravel there on purpose in order to discourage riders from speeding around the lake. This makes sense but it still seems dumb because of how dangerous gravel is to riders in general. I'm excited to take my bike out to red rock and mt charleston tho. I'm also going to be heading down to lake Elsinore as soon as I can to take a group ride with my dad and brother since they know all the fun roads around the area. Plus then I can have fun showing up my dads Harley and my brothers v star in the twisties. :)

#5 ·
my favorite are those long sweepers in the mountains like angeles crest though i do not recommended the crest for newbies...

i also like tight technical roads like latigo canyon...this is one when i first started riding and it showed and i was all over the place, i speeded it up because i was so slow...don't mind the music, i like oldies but goodies...:D

#8 ·
#9 ·
For local roads, all our guys like Hwy 181,221,321, 16, 18, Brushy Mtn rd... all in the mountains of NC. And we always have the Blue Ridge Parkway to slow down and take the edge off a bit.
Deals Gap is about a 4 hour haul and from there we hit Hwy 28 for a bit then over to the Cherohala Skyway.

And luckily, we have a 4 tracks pretty close (CMP, VIR, Roebling, Road ATL) to really be able to burn off and release some "angst".

#11 · (Edited)
Easy. 2012 Triumph Street Triple r. 416 lbs. wet, 105 hp. 0-60mph in 3.3 seconds. Very nice stock exhaust with twin titanium pipes. Top speed 145 mph or so (I guess). It is the ultimate street machine. Allows you to get out ahead of ALL traffic. Makes much more sense than a superbike for city and highway use if you like the upright seating position. Also good for riders of average ht. like me. Seat ht. is 31.7 inches, same as the Ninja 650. OK best road locally is the River Road from New Braunfels to Canyon Lake along the Guadalupe River, anytime except tubing season that is.

#14 ·
Just found this on YouTube, 2 guys on a Ducati 1199 Panigale and an MV Agusta F4 doing one of my favorite rides in L.A. Sunset Blvd from the beach to Beverly Hills. I don't go nearly as fast as these 2, nor do I lane split, but as long as there isn't traffic, it's a great ride to work on my basic cornering skills :D

#18 ·
Lotsa good riding in tenn., kent., north georgia and carolina's, I go there about every 2 yrs or so to get my cornering practice in and to see the sights. LOL, I have a T-shirt from about every tourist trap up there (mostly the H-D ones). I'm taking the wife up there this year, we will hit the dragon, cherohala, razorback ridge....probably be about a week and a half of riding in those mountains, beautiful sights.

#23 ·
Did a nice 110 mile ride yesterday for a local charity, there are a few little twisties in the area I didn't know about, all though the area is flat it was ok. Ride report, it was cold! I think i'll invest in a throttle and clutch mounted glove cover. Or maybe shields that I could mount on for the winter months even tho those things tend to look "dorky" LOL on a sport bike, at least i'd be able to ride with wind protection on my hands. I was wearing a wind resistant, insulated glove and even tho it was 38 degrees at 55 to 60mph for an hour at a time those gloves didn't do the job, my fingers still got cold and numb. Ended up at about 52 degrees and was fun at the end of the day.

#24 ·
what's your favorite route?

Thought it would be a good idea to find out where the best roads/streets in the world are for future forum members to go for a ride as well as possibly meet up.
*what state/country/province/suburb
*where would you recommend going for a spin?
*why do you love riding that route?
feel free to give full route desciption

#25 · (Edited)

Start on the south end of Redwood Rd. in Castro Valley, CA,
Right onto Pinehurst Rd.
Right onto Canyon Rd.
Left onto Moraga Way in Moraga,
Continue onto Camino Pablo in Orinda,
Left onto Wildcat Canyon Rd.,
Left onto S. Park Dr. in Tilden Regional Park in Berkley,
Left onto Grizzly Peak Blvd,
Left onto Skyline Blvd,
Straight onto Snake Rd. in Oakland,
And then you hit Mountain Blvd./Moraga Ave.,
which can take you to Route 13 (and then in my case, I-580).
EDIT: If you're on a computer this Google Maps link should work: https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=...h&mra=dme&mrsp=8&sz=14&via=2,4,5,6,7&t=m&z=12

Highlights: Well, going all the way up and down Redwood (straight through the Pinehurst Rd. "T" mid-way) is fun all on its own (small sample portion):

Lots of 20-mph-turn signs :D

#27 ·
Durban,south africa 1hour± trip:
I enjoy it every time and I think that anyone from noobs to pros can enjoy it or work on their skils.there are longer routes but I usually don't have the time available to do long trips which makes this convenient.(Will try and post a map of the route)

Start off at Crossways petrol station on Marine Drive.
head south bound which is dead straight for about 1km before an S bend followed by speed bumps outside a school.
continue straight on for abt 500m and take a left onto foreshore drive where you have the beach on your left for abt 1km as well as speed bumps ever 100m or s.o
do a U-turn at the end on come back to marine drive where you turn left and continue for a good few kms through a series of straights,dips,hill climbs and high speed bends(one section has a canopy of trees that covers the entire street except for a few small pockets that make it feel like your flying through the air when going under it).
you should be able to see the lighthouse in the distance.
turn around whenever you're ready,preferably near the light house as any further will lead to Wentworth(gangers paradise).
Backtrack all the way back and past the beach turnoff,all the way to the army base which has its own series of high speed bends all the way up.
Marine Drive becomes Lighthouse road as I lean into a blind left hander where I always try and work on my knee dragging before accelerating hard down the hill for abt 1km to a 90 degree right where there are more of those damn speed bumps.the road splits(go left) into a fast and full throttled lean that opens up to a 2 km straight and a set of robots before tearing it up the hill onto bluff Road and down the other side which has an S bend followed by robots at the Edwin Swales(M7) turn off.(TRAFFIC)
work on your clutch control through steady moving and sometimes stop go traffic for about 6kms(lane split if you wish) where you take the Umbilo offramp which has an angled, over freeway tightish bend to it(mini freeway section) which leads to a 6 lane,one way straight past ZAP motorcycles(parts importer and mechanic)move to the far right lane before getting to the 2nd set of robots and turn onto the Congella bridge.(harbour area=trucks).open it up down the 5 km dead straight Bayhead road(one set of train tracks that cross the road mid way down the straight,they don't stick out much but is a bit scary).road bends to the left followed by a robot and speed bumps where you take a left onto Iran road.2 sets of speed bumps followed by rev limiting all the way up the gear box before stopping where cops are watching you from ontop of the hill to see if you jump the stop street(nevermind the fact that you just tried to set a new ninja top speed:p)take it easy around the 180 degree bend in the road and head home...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.