Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and gals! Finally got my white 300 from CL yesterday and to me it was a hell of a deal :cool: This is my first bike after passing the MSF course and getting my license.

First ride, I went around the sellers neighborhood for awhile to get a feel for the bike, then on the way home it was honestly very nerve-wrecking but arrived home unscathed. So far I'm loving the bike, HOWEVER, I live in a gated community and it was nearly impossible for me to get out. On top of all that when I was riding around late last night to get used to the main roads, I was stuck at a left turn stop light and it skipped me twice!!! I'm sure these are both due to the weight of the bike. I was wondering if any of you encountered this annoying problem and what you did to fix it? Any advice will help! Thanks!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Where are u in socal? Look for where the light indicator is located. If its on the street post about knee/ankle level its magnetic. I have a magnet mounted on the bottom of my bike to help trip those. My parking garage at work is gated. I have to stop on top of the weight sensor for that one on the ground. I got my magnet at cycle gear.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Where are u in socal? Look for where the light indicator is located. If its on the street post about knee/ankle level its magnetic. I have a magnet mounted on the bottom of my bike to help trip those. My parking garage at work is gated. I have to stop on top of the weight sensor for that one on the ground. I got my magnet at cycle gear.

Aneheim. What does the light indicator and weight sensor look like? I've never noticed any of these being in a car but now that im on 2 wheels im noticing the littlest things lol

·
Registered
162 Posts
Hi, congrats on your new baby. I think we had a thread here before about it. It says that it's ok to go on a red light once it passes you by after a couple of mins ONLY if you deem it safe or no oncoming traffic. People here can help you what exactly the law says about it as I'm not sure. But for me, what I do is pull my bike on a circle plate on the road, kill the engine and restart. Dunno, but so far it works for me.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Yeah, California Vehicle Code Section 21800 (d). If the light won't
change for you treat it as a flashing red.

Also... Look for the sensor cutout lines in the pavement at the intersection limit line. Try to position yourself at the left or right edge.

And +1 for the little magnetic blocks you stick to the bottom of your bike. ($10 from Cycle Gear.)

Finally, welcome from Irvine. Lots of gated communities here - but I always felt like they were built to keep people in - not out. Besides, gates.. in Irvine? Seriously?

Ride safe!

Sent from my iPod touch using MO Free

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Stupid question...but what would you do if the light was red for 15 minutes and no one else is around? Would you proceed through it? What if said light is a red light with traffic cameras?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Personally, I give the light one cycle then go as soon as it is safe.

The thing about intersection cameras is that they are positioned to photo the front of the vehicle (at least all the ones I've encountered).

Guess I won't be ordering a plate for the front . :)

·
Registered
215 Posts
Hey guys and gals! Finally got my white 300 from CL yesterday and to me it was a hell of a deal :cool: This is my first bike after passing the MSF course and getting my license.

First ride, I went around the sellers neighborhood for awhile to get a feel for the bike, then on the way home it was honestly very nerve-wrecking but arrived home unscathed. So far I'm loving the bike, HOWEVER, I live in a gated community and it was nearly impossible for me to get out. On top of all that when I was riding around late last night to get used to the main roads, I was stuck at a left turn stop light and it skipped me twice!!! I'm sure these are both due to the weight of the bike. I was wondering if any of you encountered this annoying problem and what you did to fix it? Any advice will help! Thanks!

I am guessing the "CL" refers to cragslist. I am curious to what you paid for your bike off CL. If you don't feel comfortable telling I understand. No pressure.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am guessing the "CL" refers to cragslist. I am curious to what you paid for your bike off CL. If you don't feel comfortable telling I understand. No pressure.
No worries. I paid $5k with pink in hand. Do you think i got ripped off? I think it was a great deal on a new bike with very little mileage but if you think otherwise please let me know haha

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll check out those magnetic block this weekend. Are there different brands that work better than others or just one generic one?

·
Registered
134 Posts
The one I bought was generic - don't recall ever seeing a brand name one.

They don't eliminate the problem, but do seem to reduce it.

One suggestion though. Rather than mess around with the plastic ties they come with, just cut them off, put a glob of construction adhesive on the top side and slap the thing on the underside of your farings. (I lost 2 of them before I figured this out. Just a slow learner I guess.)

·
Registered
131 Posts
The one I bought was generic - don't recall ever seeing a brand name one.

They don't eliminate the problem, but do seem to reduce it.

One suggestion though. Rather than mess around with the plastic ties they come with, just cut them off, put a glob of construction adhesive on the top side and slap the thing on the underside of your farings. (I lost 2 of them before I figured this out. Just a slow learner I guess.)

+1. I glued mine to the inside of the fairing. Generic. Cycle Gear had a bunch of them this morning. It helps.

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts