Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 163 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everybody has their own little quirks. One thing I don't like is that the throttle is jerky. Like if I'm following a car, going a constant speed, and the car slows. When your try to roll the throttle ever so slightly to decelerate it just jerks you. There's no small adjustment on decel. Its either on or off. Does anyone else experience this?

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
I've only had my bike for a couple weeks now. My only gripe thus far is that I wish both sides of the headlamp lit up for low beam, and in this configuration, the 2nd filament on both sides turned on for high-beam. In my opinion, having both on provides for better visibility and redundancy in case one bulb burns out. Rather than being forced to drive around with your hi-beam if your low-beam burns out. This is probably the simplest safety upgrade Kawi could have made for everyone.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Everybody has their own little quirks. One thing I don't like is that the throttle is jerky. Like if I'm following a car, going a constant speed, and the car slows. When your try to roll the throttle ever so slightly to decelerate it just jerks you. There's no small adjustment on decel. Its either on or off. Does anyone else experience this?
I think what you refering to is the engine braking kicking in when decelerating.hold in the clutch and brake a bit.and adjust to necassary speed.its one way of getting around it.there's no smoothness.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Only in first and second gear. I'd actually like MORE engine braking in third and higher.

·
Super Moderator
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've only had my bike for a couple weeks now. My only gripe thus far is that I wish both sides of the headlamp lit up on low beam, and both turned on for high-beam. In my opinion, having both on provides for better visibility and redundancy in case one bulb burns out. Rather than being forced to drive around with your hi-beam if your low-beam burns out. This is probably the simplest safety upgrade Kawi could have made for everyone.
Both do turn on for highs... well the low stays on and the high turns on.

I think what you refering to is the engine braking kicking in when decelerating.hold in the clutch and brake a bit.and adjust to necassary speed.its one way of getting around it.there's no smoothness.
I dont want to break. it happens more at slower speeds (not highway). adjusting maybe 1 or 2 mphs slower. no braking required, just back off the throttle and jerrkkkkk

·
Registered
221 Posts
I wish the wheels were wider, that the build quality of the plastics was a bit better, and (this is a knock on ALL bike manufacturers) that there are still old looking headlights instead of LEDs and Xenon.

Also, all models should come with switchable ABS (another knock against all bike manufacturers).

·
Registered
225 Posts
I've only had my bike for a couple weeks now. My only gripe thus far is that I wish both sides of the headlamp lit up on low beam, and both turned on for high-beam. In my opinion, having both on provides for better visibility and redundancy in case one bulb burns out. Rather than being forced to drive around with your hi-beam if your low-beam burns out. This is probably the simplest safety upgrade Kawi could have made for everyone.
Www.bkmoto.com can fix this for you :)

He's also on the forum, it takes some work but it can be corrected!

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
Both do turn on for highs... well the low stays on and the high turns on.
I know that both are on when you turn on the hi-beam. What I was getting at with my suggestion is that if Kawi allowed for both sides always on for low-beam, that when you turned on the hi-beam, the 2nd filament on both sides would have turned on.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Yea that's pretty much the only thing I hate about this bike so far. It's fine at high speeds but sucks in low speeds. It's smooth after the jerk though. Some people say replacing the front sprocket to a 15T improves this.

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
Www.bkmoto.com can fix this for you :)

He's also on the forum, it takes some work but it can be corrected!

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
That's one of the possible mods I have on my list for long term. For now I have a set of PIAA bulbs for the low and hi-beam I will be upgrading to for better visibility. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the styling of the 2014 or 2015 year 300's will stay the same but they perform the lighting upgrades I described earlier so that we can hopefully retrofit them into our bikes. But I think that's also up to us to share this type of feedback with Kawi in hopes they address our concerns. I will most definitely be sharing information like this with Kawi in the coming weeks after I've ridden the bike some more.

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
I noticed this same problem, but I noticed that after I started being easy with the throttle when letting off of it, it wasn't as bad in any gear that I was in. I was being really conscientious about this because the engine braking in 1st and 2nd gear seemed to be so strong that I was worried I was going to get rear ended because of how fast the bike would slow down. So I started letting off the throttle slower, to get used to the sensitivity of the throttle. And sure enough, I began to really get a feel for how to better control the throttle on the bike no matter if I was accelerating or decelerating.

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
Just noticed you are from Durban. I was born in Joburg, but have lived here in the States since I was 11 months old. I still have a lot of family in South Africa though and have gone back to visit a few times now. Always felt like I was home when visiting South Africa. K that's all, don't mean to hijack the thread.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
I wish the wheels were wider, that the build quality of the plastics was a bit better, and (this is a knock on ALL bike manufacturers) that there are still old looking headlights instead of LEDs and Xenon.

Also, all models should come with switchable ABS (another knock against all bike manufacturers).
By switchable, do you mean ABS that can be turned on and off? If so that would defeat the purpose of having the ABS.............

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
I know that both are on when you turn on the hi-beam. What I was getting at with my suggestion is that if Kawi allowed for both sides always on for low-beam, that when you turned on the hi-beam, the 2nd filament on both sides would have turned on.
There are dual low/high H7 bulbs available now, although are still pretty pricey. You would simply have to splice the wires to have both sides come on for low and the same for high. I did this temporarily with the bulbs as they are stock, just to see what it was like and it can be done. As for the load that it will put on the electrical system and what else you may have to do to handle the extra load, not sure my electrical knowledge is basic.

·
Registered
865 Posts
By switchable, do you mean ABS that can be turned on and off? If so that would defeat the purpose of having the ABS.............
I think he means switchable like it would be a bolt on accessory. Like if you wanted abs now and you dont have an abs bike youd be into some serious modification and retrofitting. he means that they have a factory bolt on abs mod.

I liek that idea too. I would of gotten the abs if i had the option at the time but it took too damn long for them to release in the states and I wanted my bike soon lol so I got my white non abs! still happy as can be!

I also wish the plastics were better... they suck... they are brittle, and dont fit right.
Also... make every fairing screw the same size hex... seriously... wtf!
And get rid of those wierd rubber nut things that are holding on the lower fairing, those break way too easilly.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I mean what I said. Most experienced riders knock ABS for it's interference in aggressive riding.

600cc+ bikes that come with ABS typically allow you to turn it off, to appease the aggressive riders / track day heroes while maintaining a safe ride during commuting / city driving.

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
theres a few BMW's you can do this, but mainly the dual purpose bikes, ABS and dirt/mud roads & no tar beneath you just dont mix

·
Registered
813 Posts
I'm not a fan of the fairings used for this bike, they seem to be flimsy and poorly positioned and the bolts used on the bike had to be replaced when the fender eliminator was installed as they all either threaded or lost their shape, even using the tools from supplied took kit.
I get the same jerkiness when laying of the throttle only the slightest bit....

1 - 20 of 163 Posts