Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm about to get gas for my 300, the dealer told me that regular will be fine being that premium doesn't do anything for the engine. I know a lot of guys online put premium in their 300 that swear by it. What do you put in your bike? please help :confused: Thank you in advance

·
Banned
277 Posts
Regular unless you're using gas with ethanol. The only bikes I've owned that require premium was my R1 that was mapped for 93 and my SXV550.

I run regular in my 300 and it's perfectly fine, zero hesitation, zero pinging, and it even ran great when I only had the full exhaust installed.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Regular will run fine and premium won't hurt it. Your choice. Try to stay away from ethanol visit pure-gas.org to find a gas station near you that doesn't force feed you the dreaded "E".

You're not stupid for using either, you earn your money spend t how you want.

I use 93, because I can.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thank you guys, I just got really confused because the dealer is telling me one thing, the book saying another and other owners saying another. Thank you so much again!

·
Premium Member
1,531 Posts
98 RON for sure...Mondays to Wednesdays usually the cheapest fuel days in Oz. Check when it is over in the US and fill up then. Also look for a fuel station that has a high turn over as the fuel will be "fresher".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating
Scroll down the the paragraph on "Effects of octane rating"

Cheers...

·
Registered
1,150 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
98 RON for sure...Mondays to Wednesdays usually the cheapest fuel days in Oz. Check when it is over in the US and fill up then. Also look for a fuel station that has a high turn over as the fuel will be "fresher".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating
Scroll down the the paragraph on "Effects of octane rating"

Cheers...
I never thought about that before! :D Thank you!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This topic has been beaten to death, mainly here: http://www.kawasakininja300.com/forum/8-ninja-300-general-discussion/693-octane-87-aint-cutting.html

Long story short: The bike is designed to run on 87 AKI (91 RON). Higher octane gasoline is not necessary and has zero performance benefit. The only reason to use higher octane gas is if it contains less ethanol (the bike is designed to take up to E15, but the less ethanol, the better).
I see now, it's basically depending on the owner and how"well" they want to treat it. I got it now :) Thank you Dave!

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Dave read my mind. If you research what the octane numbers actually do, you will discover it is about avoiding knocking in your engine. If the engine is designed for a specific octane, use it. The only possible benefit from higher octane is some additives that different gas stations advertise. But I consider that mostly advertising. End of topic :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.