Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive seen prive variations from 70-400$...
What should I look for?
If I'd buy i'dbprobably spend about 150$
Is that reasonable for a jacket?

·
Registered
865 Posts
you can buy a good jacket for 150, even 100. Buy a cheap one thats comfy and fits you well, then buy some better protective pads for em.

Just look for one that fits you, and worry about the pads later, they all have inserts for fairly universal pads.. or you can trim a pad if it doesnt fit.

Make sure it will fit nicely in the riding position, so the sleeves will appear a bit long, thats what I mean.

good luck! =D

·
Registered
198 Posts
A good jacket short be almost skin tight but not restrict movement.
It's the total opposite when your shopping for regular clothes.

Should be nice and snug :)

Unless you like dressing like that

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
For that price range you will be limited to textile jackets, but that is ok. Textiles still have great protection, but not necessarily something you can crash multiple times with. Hence why racers wear leather.

On the plus side, textiles are easier to waterproof, and are better for ventilation. Try to find one that fits snug (flapping in wind bad) but is comfortable. Also aim for something that has a removable liner for the cold, and good venting for the heat. Visit a physical retailer and try on lots of jackets before buying. Keep in mind that it's better to buy something that fits you well than restrict yourself to a strict price range. Then you will have to spend more in the long run to get soemthing that actually works for you.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Personally I get a all season jacket myself.. I typically buy all of my gear on clearance as well to save a few bucks :)

I like the all season because it has a warm inside liner that is removable when it is warmer out. And a waterproof and wind proof exterior shell. In the summer there are vents to open to allow for air flow so it feels more like a mesh jacket.

Personally I am not a fan of leather, I know some are, but its just not for me, I am not comfortable wearing it.. Just dont get one with the foam pads, they do nothing for you in an accident..

As for sizing, it sucks.. I tend to notice a large is to short, and a XL is to round.. And the Large Long is just not available in the styles I want.. So I deal with having a larger jacket..

·
Registered
237 Posts
I'd spend the extra money and get something that is leather. Maybe look for something on clearance so you can get a jacket from a reputable brand that retails for $300+.

·
Registered
211 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Decide if you want a particular brand. Starting out I tried on a bunch of jackets and liked the Icon Timax the best. Bought it then found Icon gloves I loved...then bought Icon riding jeans, then boots, then helmet. Have since upgraded to Shoei and HJC helmets since Icon helmets are not the best quality...

If you are not loyal to a particular brand get a snug fitting textile jacket from anyone cheap. Scorpion makes nice gear that won't break the bank.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I'm 6 foot, weigh 150

Alpinestars is an established European brand so their sizing is generally geared towards the slimmer riders (read into that as you will). I got a summer-ish only jacket from them since I couldn't find an all weather one that fit properly at the time.

When it comes to all weather/cooler temp stuff, it's good to get pants that are the same brand as the jacket so it can attach the pants to the jacket to protect you from the weather. But otherwise, don't be afraid to mix and match brands.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I recently purchased an AGV Sports Breeze jacket. It's perforated leather, thickness is good and has CE approved padding in the elbos and shoulders. The back padding is just foam i believe. Price was $249. Anyways, best advice is to go to a store and try a bunch on. It's hard to figure out sizes especially when some go by European charts.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts