Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So while I was putting my rim tape on I noticed this....

ImageUploadedByMO Free1359829874.661961.jpg

So I realized... This doesn't look right. I pulled it out and it definitely wasn't suppose to be like that. And I have no idea how it happened. I havnt heard anything... So I'm guessing it happened on the freeway? By the way it looks how it's all melted its been like that for a little while. There were plastic shreds on the inside of my tire. But my biggest concern is the plastic in the chain. What do you guys think? Dealership? Is this something warranty would cover? (Doubt it) and anybody have a part number for it?

ImageUploadedByMO Free1359830082.945472.jpg
ImageUploadedByMO Free1359830094.839842.jpg
ImageUploadedByMO Free1359830105.140775.jpg
ImageUploadedByMO Free1359830117.325807.jpg
ImageUploadedByMO Free1359830129.509457.jpg
ImageUploadedByMO Free1359830139.966564.jpg
ImageUploadedByMO Free1359830148.822367.jpg
ImageUploadedByMO Free1359830160.346891.jpg

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
oh yeah... and would i be okay to ride it down to the dealership? if yes, should i cut the loose part off?

·
Registered
239 Posts
I was think maybe chain to loose to start with but after see all the photos im thinking you have a dog that likes chain gaurds

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was think maybe chain to loose to start with but after see all the photos im thinking you have a dog that likes chain gaurds
haha i wish, then it would be an easy fix... no dogs have been near thy bike.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
How the hell...

However that happened, it should be covered under warranty. Personally I would want a new chain too; who knows if the o-rings were damaged by that.

I'd remove the guard (don't cut it or break it anymore than it is), you don't want to risk it jamming in your chain or sprocket. The chain guard and hugger are all one piece held on by a few bolts. Just unbolt it and bring it with you to the dealership.

Double-check the sidewall of your tire for damage too.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Only thing I can think of is loose chain + hard acceleration. The hard acceleration would shorten the wheelbase slightly, and maybe with a bump it was enough for it to catch on the guard?...weird

·
Registered
618 Posts
He broke it at number 1

It got caught by the tire at number 2.

It got pulled in and folded down thats why the marks are on the outside of number 3.

chain 2.jpg
chain guard.jpg

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
maybe a girl steped on it trying to get off the back
I'm thinking this.

I don't see how it could have possibly happened by itself.

I'm at the dealership. And they are going to see if they can put it under warranty for the hell of it, they looked at the chain and said debri in the chain is minimal, and no need to change it, just air hosed it out.

If all wake fails, it's only going to cost me $40.

And a stern talking to the two girls that have been on my bike.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think that's what I did. After posting it I searched the forum as found that site. Got the part number. Dealer wants 40. On the website it's only 30, but it's 20 in shipping. So the dealer ordered it and if warranty doesn't cover it (don't think it will) then ill just buy the part off em. Should be here in 3 to 5 days.

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
That must have been hit or leaned against, did you have a passenger that might have stepped on it? The chain should be fine, we run dirt bike chains thru hard plastic sliders and they wear away the master link clips, chains are just fine. That thing is like paper. Cut it away and replace it if you want it on. I'd just as soon delete it, it just keeps chain mung from the underside of the bike and I don't run lube so no difference. You can snip it with side cutters.

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
LOL, I was answering the first post and saw the remarks above mine after posting. You like the ladies with the big feet, huh? You know what they say about women with big feet?

They have big shoes, you sicko!

·
Registered
397 Posts
That chain guard is so thin & flimsy it really is
One like this would be a better bet for future gf mis-steps ;)
Or since it is integral with the hugger a better aftermarket hugger ?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts