Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious. After servicing mine idles at 800 rpm now which according to the manual is within the range it's supposed to be in. I got used to having the idle at 1000 rpm indicated which gave the fz a, larger footprint and more pull. Now going to have to retrain my finger muscles on a smaller fz and actually goosing the throttle to get underway from a stop. Not sure if I like it at 800, but if that's the spec in the manual not sure I should change it either. in time I'm sure I'll be good with it but still gotta re-practice all my low speed maneuvers now

Sent from my LG-P999 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
117 Posts
Your idle is too low. On page 2-10 of the factory service manual, the quoted idle speed is 1300+/- 50 RPM. You can adjust it with the idle adjustment on the left side of the bike.

·
Registered
865 Posts
When I got mine the idle was around 2k..... I lowered it immediately to about 1.5k.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When I get home I'm going to watch that video kawi girl made on how to adjust it and try it myself... If I can't get it I'll take it back and get it done

·
Registered
618 Posts
It's pretty easy. There is a knob and u turn it. One way goes up one way goes down lol. Don't think you should be taking it to the shop to do this.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I mean insofar as to where it's actually located lol

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
It's just going to be a knob around the engine. If u find an adjustable knob, u got the right one.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i stayed late at work so i just got home; if there's daylight after i eat i'll poke around tonight. if not, i suppose it can't hurt to wait one more day until tomorrow...

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
before you go adjusting the idle screw, wait about a minute or two after you start the bike before playing with it

this lets the bike warm up and come to operating temp.
when cold it revs slightly higher then normal anyhow cos the efi takes care of the engine management so revs a little higher until warms up

*AFTER* the engine warms up, then adjust the idle screw till the cows come home, you go blue in the face, or get it to where you like, what ever comes first

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
guys i feel like an absolute idiot. i think yesterday the problem was me not the bike. there is NO WAY i should have ridden it home yesterday w/o some sort of nap... i went out this evening and cranked it up (we've had some rain on friday and very cold weather today... well cold for florida) so i just left it in the garage until now. bottom line, i cranked it up let it warm up for a bit and took it for a ride around the block. idle was at 1200 and was fine. i DID bump it up to 1500 just for a nice number to give me some more slack before a potential stall but... bottom line is the problem wasn't the bike or the service it was me. a real eye opener to me about how on your a-game you have to be for a bike.

in hindsight i can see where i made the mistake in judgement about myself but at the time... yeah.

all is copasetic now... looking forward to light traffic on christmas day so i can go exploring!

so in other words... yes i am an idiot huzzah!

·
Registered
958 Posts
That knob doesn't really adjust the idle. It adjusts the throttle and is called a throttle assist because sometimes cold starts can be a problem. The result is like opening the throttle a little, so if you do use it, be sure to turn it back down when the bike warms up. The actual idle is programmed into the fuel injection system through the mapping. It is possible the mapping is wrong, but only if the engine dies at stop signs.

·
Registered
117 Posts
That knob doesn't really adjust the idle. It adjusts the throttle and is called a throttle assist because sometimes cold starts can be a problem. The result is like opening the throttle a little, so if you do use it, be sure to turn it back down when the bike warms up. The actual idle is programmed into the fuel injection system through the mapping. It is possible the mapping is wrong, but only if the engine dies at stop signs.
On page 2-15 of the factory service manual, it is referred to as "idle speed adjustment". While the baseline may be set in mapping, the knob is for fine tuning of the idle engine speed.

·
Hero of Time
1,352 Posts
guys i feel like an absolute idiot. i think yesterday the problem was me not the bike. there is NO WAY i should have ridden it home yesterday w/o some sort of nap... i went out this evening and cranked it up (we've had some rain on friday and very cold weather today... well cold for florida) so i just left it in the garage until now. bottom line, i cranked it up let it warm up for a bit and took it for a ride around the block. idle was at 1200 and was fine. i DID bump it up to 1500 just for a nice number to give me some more slack before a potential stall but... bottom line is the problem wasn't the bike or the service it was me. a real eye opener to me about how on your a-game you have to be for a bike.

in hindsight i can see where i made the mistake in judgement about myself but at the time... yeah.

all is copasetic now... looking forward to light traffic on christmas day so i can go exploring!

so in other words... yes i am an idiot huzzah!
what in the world are you talking about? you didnt explain whatever problem happened or what event happened to you...

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah I definitely I did actually

1 - 20 of 46 Posts