Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
^^ Great tire the Mich.Road 5

I would go 110 on the front, as 120 gets pinched and you don't get to use the extra width.
But I couldn't find any high end, double compound sport touring front tire in 110/70, so I ended up mounting the Road 5 in 120/60. Very happy with it, even if I have a 1/2 inch chicken strip.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
^^ Great tire the Mich.Road 5

I would go 110 on the front, as 120 gets pinched and you don't get to use the extra width.
But I couldn't find any high end, double compound sport touring front tire in 110/70, so I ended up mounting the Road 5 in 120/60. Very happy with it, even if I have a 1/2 inch chicken strip.
I think I found 110/70 on revzilla Michelin road 5s. I’ll buy those. It’s weird though cause I checked the other day and they weren’t available. I’ll buy the 110 if they are available. If not I’ll buy 120. What is the chicken strip mean? Is it bad if I get 120?

·
Registered
336 Posts
I think I found 110/70 on revzilla Michelin road 5s. I’ll buy those. It’s weird though cause I checked the other day and they weren’t available. I’ll buy the 110 if they are available. If not I’ll buy 120. What is the chicken strip mean? Is it bad if I get 120?

Nice that you found it in 110/70. It wasn't available when I got my set, ot it was but I couldn't find it. It may be a new size on that tire. A nice effect of small bikes gaining back a bigger space in the market. Not everybody needs a hyper sport bike.

I'd mount the 110/70. Compared to the 120/60, the 110/70 should make the front end a bit more reactive and the bike should be easier to turn.
Also, the front end would be a bit higher on the 110/70, and a bit lower on the 120/60.

Chicken strip is the strip on the side of the tire that doesn't get used because it never touches the pavement.
It may get not used because of the rider not leaning that much, or because the tire is too wide, gets pinched on the rim and the usable edge of the tire doesn't touch the pavement even at full lean.

·
Registered
3 Posts
what do you guys think of these? ive heard good reviews about them. i have to get new front and back tires soon... its my first bike but i still like to push it a little....lol any thought? I can get them for a really good price, 110 for both..what do u guys think?

Product Specs for Michelin Pilot Street 110/70-17 Front Tire
Load Range: 54 - Maximum Capacity 467 lbs
Manufacturer Part Number: 29364
Model: Pilot Street
Position: Front
Rim Diameter: 17
Sidewall: Blackwall
Sold in Units: Each
Speed Rating: S - Rated up to 112 MPH
Tire Construction: Bias Ply
Tire Size: 110/70-17
Tire Width: 110/MN
Tube or Tubeless: Tubeless

·
Registered
206 Posts
what do you guys think of these? ive heard good reviews about them. i have to get new front and back tires soon... its my first bike but i still like to push it a little....lol any thought? I can get them for a really good price, 110 for both..what do u guys think?
I'd avoid buying a bias ply tire when so many great radial tires are available for our bike!

·
Registered
3 Posts
ohhh that makes sense now. they were 46$ for the front and 60ish for the back on j&p motocycle.com and i was wondering why so cheap for such a great tire... supposedly they last a good amount of time and very sticky/quick response and good if you wanna push it hard...if u catch my drift. I think the radial ones are like 100 for the front and 140 for the back... do you have any suggestions on a good tire that is sticky on turns and has a decent life span and capable of pushing it every now and then.... but mostly all city driving, only 10 miles a day or so on the freeway total. this is my only means of transportation currently until i fix my car...all advice/help is greatly appreciated.Thanks in advance!
-Kevin

·
Registered
206 Posts
Kevin, I'm no tire expert, that's for sure...but when I upgraded I went with the Dunlop Sportmax GPR300. I did so primarily because when I was tire shopping the new Ninja 400 was being released and all the bike reviewers gave excellent marks to the Dunlop GPR300s that were fitted to the bike. The guys from Motorcyclist and Revzilla had nothing but good things to say about the new OEM tire (both on street and track). That made my decision easy. The tire is a huge improvement over the original tires in every way.

There should be a lot of threads on tire choices if you search. There are stickier tires and longer lasting tires. What I did was to go to Revzilla and enter my tire sizes under both the sport and touring categories. Every tire they carry in those sizes will come up and you can read reviews on all of them.

Any new, quality radial tire you choose will be an improvement over your current tires. You can't make a bad choice..just balance features with price until you're satisfied.

·
Registered
336 Posts
There is no silver bullet.

If you want it cheap and want it to last, get bias ply, as the one that you found, but they won't have a lot of grip, so no good for pushing it.
If you want them to be sticky, get sport tires, Mich RS, Pirelli Diablo Rosso, … A long list. But these will cost more and last less.
For something in the middle, search for good sport touring tires with double compound. They will last longer than sport tires, and have more grip than the bias ones.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Not sure I understand the "bias ply" "sport tire" thing. There are bias ply sport tires as well as radial touring tires.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just got new GPR 300 sport max tires by dunlop. Went with the stock sizing and love it, hope to get a good 6k miles on them as my daily commuter and coming from worn out stock tires that had 6k miles and were about 5 years old the bike feels so much better. First bike and first time on the bike with new tire feels completely different, I think they are a great economical choice for a commuter.

·
Registered
15 Posts
^^ What they said.

I got the Michelin Pilot Road 5. Very good tires. More expensive at the time of buying, but they should last you longer than sport tires.

The only thing about big brand touring tires for the N300 is that I couldn't find the size 110/70 for the front. All I saw was the more popular 120/60, and that's what I got.
The 120/60 gets a bit pinched in the rim and you don't get to use the edge of the tire. When leaning to the edge, you're a bit more on the hard compound in the center, and a bit less on the soft compound in the shoulder. It's not bad for the street, as you won't be leaning up to the edge.

As for the rear, I got the 150/70, which many claim to be a better choice for the N300 than the stock size, 140/70.
The 150/70 sits well on the rim and I get to use the whole thing. No chicken strip on the rear.

Just to add on to this, I recently put Michelin Road 5 tires on my 300 and they are amazing. Great feel in the dry and they feel very planted on a wet road.

I put 150/60 on the rear, and 110/70 on the front. Michelin just came out with 110/70s for the Road 5 in the US a couple of months ago.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts