Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I'm from the UK and may be moving to Canada in the near future. I'm 23 with a restricted A2 licence (bikes under 47bhp). I was wondering what it is like riding in Canada compared to UK. What are the licences, laws, general knowledge or anything I should know before riding.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
550 Posts
Welcome to Canada (when you get here). What part of Canada will you be moving to?

Canadian drivers are not as aware of motorcycles as they are in other parts of the world. Mainly because they aren't as plentiful. Because of our winters, people don't have motorcycles as their primary mode of transportation.

I live in Toronto and find that I can use the bike from April to November (sometimes there is a day or two in December that I can ride).

As for laws, Canada required helmets and recommends full gear (pretty good advice). Unfortunately, the road rules do not allow lane splitting or filtering at lights. I'm not sure what your license would transfer over to... probably a full M. Our Limited Speed Motorcycle (LSM) license is for bikes/scooters which cannot go faster than 70kph (something with 47 hp should be able to do 200kph).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Me and my partner have family in Alberta so at least initially there.

The filtering thing sucks. Hope the beautiful roads will make up for it!

How expensive is it to ride in Canada? At the moment it's costing me over £1000 a year insurance

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
550 Posts
It will depend largely on your age/bike/experience.

For reference (I'm in the largest city in Canada):
Age 42
New 2015 Ninja 300 with ABS
Began getting my license in 2013 and just got my full M this year.
Annual premium = $341 ($1M Liability / $300 Deductible)

·
Registered
151 Posts
There's so much supply of ninja 300 around where I live (greater Toronto area) that I wouldn't bring it over.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
What part of Canada are you moving to? Ive seen it from East to west coast and its beautiful to ride. I am 35 just got my M1 in October and M2 in Dec so i pay $1,550 a year. It will be half as much when I get my full M in 2 years. Ontario I heard has the 2nd highest Insurance rates in the world.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll be moving to Calgary. I'm 23 so in England I'm restricted to 47bhp. In Canada what are the licence laws? Are there any restrictions or would I be able to go after the 636 that I've been lusting after?

·
Registered
550 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts