Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That is debris in the bottom where you should see the two header tubes. It is easily cleaned out and ready to weld back together from what I read.
:cool:

No actual animals were injured in this series of pics.

Saw, drill, hammer, flat screwdriver and 10 minutes of time. Add a breakfast to bribe a welder buddy and track only headers ready to go. I'll have them back on the bike by tomorrow morning for weekend track testing.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Ooooh your kitty has been naughty!

Let us know how it sounds and/or feels when you get it back out for a ride.

Personally I prefer a less smelly riding experience, so my kitty will stay intact. YMMV of course.

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Test ride today after welding it back together. No noise increase over my Akra open Ti slip on, feels like it has a real hit off the bottom, pulls the forks to top out harder for sure. I can't feel any "jetting" problems, fuels just as well as stock. No popping on decel, maybe a slightly louder burble when you just touch the throttle on decel but no real difference there.

All good and it cost me a lunch for my buddy and under 30 minutes total wrench time.

Tuner time!!!

·
Premium Member
12,370 Posts

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I guess that would be a good mod as long as the ports are actually too big already. I don't plan on head work right now. Looking at a tuner and maybe cams to boost the top end. Overall I'm not really unhappy with the power of the 300, kinda dull but I expected it to be less torquey and more mid/top. Can't say I mind the low/mid, just didn't expect it. Short shifting a 300 street bike is kinda wierd! :cool:

·
Registered
49 Posts
I took the snorkel off my bike, it has a K&N air filter, and stock muffler. Would I be hurting the engine if I head the stock headers decatted and run it with that setup??? I know getting a tuner would be the thing to do but right now im short on funds and getting the performance of opened up headers for $40 doesn't sound bad :) but I'm not going to do it if I'm going to do damage to the engine.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
229 Posts
I took the snorkel off my bike, it has a K&N air filter, and stock muffler. Would I be hurting the engine if I head the stock headers decatted and run it with that setup??? I know getting a tuner would be the thing to do but right now im short on funds and getting the performance of opened up headers for $40 doesn't sound bad :) but I'm not going to do it if I'm going to do damage to the engine.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
It will make it run lean without a tuner. Not the best for the engine but okay for a little while; you'd want to put a tuner in ASAP. It will have a flat spot in mid-range revs too until the tuner is installed due to the decreased back pressure. Probably better off waiting until you can get both.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.