Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 227 Posts

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Right now I have a HJC -Max2. I love modular helmets my last few have been modular's. I like the fact it color matches my bike also. But I just noticed that my one year old helmet is start to sound louder and louder everytime I go for a ride lately. The noise is coming from the wind and I never noticed it as loud before. I am thinking of going full face though next time if it is quite a bit quieter than a modular helmet is. Any thoughts? I have a very tight budget so these $500.00 or thousand dollar helmets are out of the picture.
I ran across this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/291156483505?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
Anyone tried it?
My present helmet

·
Registered
81 Posts
I noticed my HJC CL15 (4 yrs old) also got louder over time. I believe there are two major contributing factors in your case though.
1) Modular helmets have more gaps for air to whistle through than a full face and as the helmet wears, these gaps grow and can become more noisy.
2) The padding also wears in and I noticed on my CL15 that I get a lot of wind noise from around my neck due to the padding becoming compacted over time. (FYI - A helmet is the most snug when new and can "bed in" by 1/8" all around the head). You might look into a helmet skirt and see if that abates the wind noise (see one HERE). This is what I am going to be trying shortly to limp my CL15 along until I go for either a CL17 or FG17, as much as I would like a Shoei or Arai (too much $$$ right now).

Reactions: reggae5

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks that was a great answer. And I can ride down to cycyle gear to get Wind Skirt as they are only 45 minutes away in Daytona Beach. Only difference between the two looks like the Wind Skirt wraps around the base of the helmet and on a modular that might effect opening the front were as the one I had the link to says "The non slip band does not mark or leave any residue on the helmet and is suitable for full face and most front opening helmets." I have to assume the English phrase " front opening" is reffering to Modular. Either way its a good cheap solution

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've seen the reviews of the Shoei RF-1200 and it is a great helmet just out of my price range.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I wear the Bell Vortex with the Rally graphic. Fantastic helmet IMO. Keeps my head relatively cool in the Arizona heat (109 here today and we are just getting started on the summer temps). I purchased the dark smoke visor and it does a superb job of blocking the light. Helmet fits well and has bluetooth/speaker pockets in the ear area inside. Is a tad noisy at speed from all of the ventilation.

Attachments

·
Registered
389 Posts
Try earplugs too, they not only prevent hearing loss, but block out unnecessary noises that may cause fatigue.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I'm kind of leaning this time towards a full face helmet. I use to wear glasses but don't anymore. And I think thats one of the reason's I leaned towards a modular - easier to put glasses on once you have the helmet on. Well that and if you want to talk briefly to someone you just flip up the front of the helmet that was another advantage the modular helmet had.
The Bell Vortex has a interesting price range looking on line, from $79 to $179. The
Bell Qualifier Hi-Vis Rally Helmet is right in the middle at $109

·
Premium Member
1,015 Posts
I have a number of helmets that I wear. Usually I wear the one that best matches the motorcycle that I am riding. I know, I realize that I have a problem.

Attachments

Reactions: bish

·
Premium Member
1,015 Posts
Sorry, I missed posting a picture of the helmet that I usually wear when I ride my green and black 300.

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
I wear the Bell Vortex with the Rally graphic. Fantastic helmet IMO. Keeps my head relatively cool in the Arizona heat (109 here today and we are just getting started on the summer temps). I purchased the dark smoke visor and it does a superb job of blocking the light. Helmet fits well and has bluetooth/speaker pockets in the ear area inside. Is a tad noisy at speed from all of the ventilation.
I have the vortex in white. I wish the rally was available last year. It's an awesome graphic.

·
Super Moderator
2,653 Posts
Both the mister and I wear Shoei Qwest helmets. He'll actually pick that one to wear over his AGV GP Tech helmets. That model is also on close out at most suppliers, so you can get them for about $300.

·
Registered
389 Posts
It only says DOT approved. I'd go for higher safety specifications like Snell2010 or ECE, etc. For a low budget, I'd look at something like the Bell Qualifier. For whatever it's worth, I have a Bell Star.

·
Registered
112 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
ARAI VECTOR SAMURA

SHOEI QWEST MATA HARI

SHOEI GT-AIR

·
Registered
112 Posts
How quiet are they at say 60 or 70 mph?
The fastest I've gone so far is around 60-65 with the vents closed and I could hear some wind noise, but not so much where it bothered me. Compared to my first BILT helmet, it's alot quieter. I don't feel the need to ride with ear plugs in, and there's this flap on the bottom that helps out.

edit: However at around 50MPH with the vents open I do hear some whistling, but closing the vents cancels it.

Reactions: reggae5

·
Registered
75 Posts
I ride with the Speed and Strength SS1100. I think its pretty quiet. I definitely notice a sound difference when I crack the visor a little. I haven't heard it whistle at all even around 75mph. I really like the quick release strap. It was only about $120. And it just looks badass so that's a plus haha

Attachments

·
Registered
958 Posts
AGV Corsa with Valentino Rossi's Mugello design, matches the bike and everyone know's who I am. :D

1 - 20 of 227 Posts