Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

So I am new here and I just got my 2016 Ninja 300 serviced for 600 miles. I was wanting to put new headlights on it as stock are bad. When I talked to the parts store they recommended me looking into LED lights when I brought up HID's. So my question is what should I go with HID or LED? And if you pick one, do you have a recommendation of what to go with? Thanks for all the suggestions!!!!

·
Registered
551 Posts
I wouldn't recommend HID because they take a few seconds to reach full brightness. This means using the headlight to flash someone will be useless.

As for LED lights, everyone will say that theirs is the best (including mine). All I can recommend is take a look (and photo) of the beam pattern on a wall when the bike is 25 feet from the wall. Make sure that your new lights match this with no light straying above the cutoff that was originally there.

·
Registered
914 Posts
I wouldn't recommend HID because they take a few seconds to reach full brightness. This means using the headlight to flash someone will be useless.
That's misleading. All decent (read correct) HID kits for the Ninja 300 have solenoids for the Hi Beams, which means you can flash with them because they were already on. In other words it is a non issue with the Ninja 300. They are perfectly functional xenon hi beams.

Unless you don't intend to do a projector retrofit, in which case you might as well stay stock.

If your convinced you want HID/LED, but don't want to go the projector retrofit route, than go LED.

In other words:

(HID+Projector Retrofit)>(LED+Stock Reflector Housing)>(OEM Halogen+Stock Reflector Housing).

Take note that HID+Stock Reflector Housing is not on that list. Just mentalize yourself that that isn't a "right" option, period.

There you go. From best to worst, pick whichever your willing to do.

*Note: Its still soon to argue if LED or HID is really better than each other. The day LED's drop the heatsink or IC unit, they will reign supreme. Until then, I prefer HIDs. I have no doubt HIDs will have gone the way of the dodo bird in less than a decade though.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Good point about the HID style. Some have a moving baffle that blocks light for low-beam applications. This style does not suffer from the warmup delay time.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
The other thing to remember about LEDs is that they DO NOT take very well to impacts and vibrations. Most LED kits use relatively cheap LEDs that over time from vibrations will fail much sooner than aircraft grade LEDs designed to be used on automobiles and aircraft. Those Chinese kits most people get with somewhat sketchy bulbs usually don't last very long or nearly as long as their expected lifespan due to vibration damaging a circuit or a diode. LEDs in generally are actually very sensitive electronic equipment and even slight fluctuations in power can destroy an LED. Many an LED has been sacrificed in my circuits classes due to mess ups with power or accidentally rapping them against the counter, dropping them, or even just pushing them a setting a bit too hard before soldering them.

The other problem with LEDs is that they only project light from each diode in a straight line. Their light doesn't radiate out like an incandescent bulb (or a HID bulb.) Their light is more like a classical ray model of light and less like the wave we're more used to dealing with. Because of this, LEDs take a special reflector setup to get the best performance out of them as the angling of the reflector's surface is generally going to be different than the geometry used for an incandescent bulb.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for the input.

So with all of this I am leaning towards LED as not changing out the housing sounds like a better idea.

So with that what are the best LED kits out there? There are just so many options out there at the moment it makes my head spin.

·
Registered
43 Posts

So with all of this I am leaning towards LED as not changing out the housing sounds like a better idea.

So with that what are the best LED kits out there? There are just so many options out there at the moment it makes my head spin.

Hi,
I bought a set of LED from ebay $29.99. 55 days ago. So far so good these LED are bright I use them everyday both of them on high and low beam . Send me a PM I can send u you the link where I got them from.

Attachments

·
Registered
914 Posts

I can sympathize with that. The projector install is a huge PITA.

Regarding LED's, there is no lack of options. When it comes to lighting though, I personally just trust OPT7. They are not the cheapest (nor the most expensive), but they are among the better manufacturers out there. Not simply rebranded import stuff, and they have a useable warranty which means they actually do stand behind their product. In the long run, the peace of mind of not having to disassemble the bike again to change the bulbs (and the time that implies) is worth it to me. Many people on this forum (and others) will agree that OPT7 is of the few reputable lighting brands out there.

OPT7 - FluxBeam Motorcycle LED Headlight

Another good brand is JDM Astar.

·
Registered
551 Posts

·
Registered
914 Posts
So maybe a stupid question. Do I need 1 or 2? I am assuming 2?
It depends. Personally, I can't stand the "one headlight on" design, and I understand people asking if you know "that the other headlight went out". That's why I like the bixenon where you have both lights on all the time. Having both headlights working as low beams was a main advantage towards HID kits, and you get about 4 times the light output from stock (2 bulbs instead of 1, HID instead of halogen). If you go LED, you'd still have one headlight for Low Beam and one headlight for High Beam, in case it isn't clear.

If you want the cheapest, most-reward-for-effort upgrade, just swap the Low Beam. If you use the high beam often, or care enough to spend the money to have both looking the same, than by all means do so. But the high beam should still only be used as a high beam (unless you adjust it like a low beam, losing the usefulness of a high beam).

If you want both headlights on, the only correct solution is projector retrofit.

Summarized summary. You only need 1, but you would benefit mildly from getting two.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I ordered my HID kit from allxenon.com just to test and also see what color I liked, I used their $28 dollar kit and I was really surprised with it. I worked and the color was on point ( used 6000k) Give them a try next time if you aint happy with your led's

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just bought my bike a couple weeks ago but while I was changing the oil and coolant I found the HID converter box thing zip tied the the frame. I'm not sure about if the housing was switched but the headlight assembly looks newer than the other parts on the bike.
I'm bringing this up because I love my headlights. Very bright, and the pass function works great. No warm up time or anything. Very hyped on them. Much better than my other bikes stock headlight set up.

·
Registered
9 Posts
It depends. Personally, I can't stand the "one headlight on" design, and I understand people asking if you know "that the other headlight went out". That's why I like the bixenon where you have both lights on all the time. Having both headlights working as low beams was a main advantage towards HID kits, and you get about 4 times the light output from stock (2 bulbs instead of 1, HID instead of halogen). If you go LED, you'd still have one headlight for Low Beam and one headlight for High Beam, in case it isn't clear.

If you want the cheapest, most-reward-for-effort upgrade, just swap the Low Beam. If you use the high beam often, or care enough to spend the money to have both looking the same, than by all means do so. But the high beam should still only be used as a high beam (unless you adjust it like a low beam, losing the usefulness of a high beam).

If you want both headlights on, the only correct solution is projector retrofit.

Summarized summary. You only need 1, but you would benefit mildly from getting two.
I have both headlights with the HID converter but I still have 1 running light and 2 for Hi beams.

·
Registered
86 Posts
How are you all finding LED bulbs that will fit?! They all have that stupid fan on the back that prevents you from locking the bulb into the housing.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts