Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
So, I decided to put in my pod filter today, and as I stare at the pile of parts laying around my garage, I think "I really should have made notes while doing this". Step 1 of this should be remove EVERYTHING! Got the air box out after taking it down to the subframe and pulling the box out the back. Put the K&N on, and then two breathers on the two lines that connect to the box, and ran the IAT sensor into the end of the pod filter. In the process of putting it back together right now. I'll post the results after I take it out tomorrow.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Motorcycle.com Free App

Attachments

·
Registered
221 Posts
Thanks for the pics. Not sure why people are so keen on this mod though, if it's anything like pod filters on cars, it's been proven many times over to offer zero performance gains.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm getting full exhaust and Fuel Moto in the next couple weeks, just figured since I had some down time I would throw it on. I had pods on my old 250 with a stage 3 jet kit and full Muzzy exhaust. Sounded great, I hope this one sounds even better.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow. You almost took it all apart lol
The tank is actually off of it too, just resting on the frame. You have to get under the tank for two of the connections. Way bigger job than I was expecting. You have to unplug pretty much every electical connector in the tail/middle to take the factory undertail off, then pull the airbox out through that space.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
you have to take off the tank to put on a pod filter? f that
If you just take off the two bolts in the back of the tank, and if you have small enough hands, you can get the two connections under there. The hardest part is probably playing pinball with the air box though the frame rails and taking the box apart while it's still in the bike. Other than that, it's just tracking down all the little screws and connectors, and then having to take little parts like the foot pegs off to get at some of the bolts. It took about 3 hours.to take it apart, and I've been putting it back together off and on for an hour or so. I almost have the tail back together, then I just need to put the rest of the farings back on.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok, got it back together and took it out for a ride. Butt dyno says it gained a little on the top end, but not much. Sound wise, it's a lot louder than it is with the air box. It's wierd though, it's growly at low RPMs, quiet between 5k, and 7k, and then really loud from 7k to redline. Sounds good, but maybe a touch on the dirt bike side. We'll see what full exhaust and a tune does though.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
I kept my air box alone only because i ride in all weather, so I decided to keep it as dry as possible..

You will have to ride though some water and report back if the filter stays dry

Also the upper brether is for the smog system, you can remove that one completely if you wanted to.. You need to fab up a block off plate or just get a rubber plug..

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think the lower one is for the smog. The upper goes right to the head, I would think that is for crankcase vent. Might be wrong though. I live in Pensacola, so i'll be riding through rain at some point. If anything i'll just throw a pre filter on it.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
i just have a rubber plug on mine for now, waiting on a response back from SSR for the dimension on their block off plate.. I would rather have a plate than a rubber plug, just for the looks and well I can add it to me mod list :D

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
I took my air box out tonight, what a huge pain in the ass, it doesn't want to come out at all! My pod filter is on order, should have itin the next couple days.. Now just need a updated map from area p :)

Also need a crank case breather, and i would really like to get a pre filter for the pod filter but not sure how it will work with the iat sensor on the outside of the filter.. Seems like i would have to cut a hole in the prefilter... I also want to locate the crank breather higher up since i ride in the rain..

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.