Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I don't think it's supposed to be this black. It's only been 877 miles since my last oil change. Used Shell Rotell T6 5W-40 and K&N KN-303. Has anyone experienced this using Shell Rotell? Is it the oil filter? Thoughts on what could've happened.

·
Registered
81 Posts
The oil is doing it's job, the oil now contains carbon which it has cleaned/dissolved from inside the engine. It is a detergent type oil.

Other sources of excessive carbon would be worn/faulty internal engine components, but if you just switched oil, this one is probably doing a better job cleaning than the last one did.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Mine turns that black after the initial start up after an oil change. T6 as well. I ran T6 for 8,000 - 9,000 miles last year between oil changes. Sent it into Blackstone lab for an analysis. Came back with a clean bill of health.

Last week, I just changed the oil. This time, I changed it after 6,000 miles. Awaiting results from the lab. This was the time I noticed how black the oil looked when I rode the bike up and down the block, allowed the oil to settle, then topped off oil to proper level.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ah, so this is normal then. Good to know! I've only changed the oil and oil filter once on this bike. Don't know if the previous owner changed the oil before. Doubt it since I pulled out the OEM oil filter.
cadd, it was worth noting that you mentioned Blackstone Labs. It's the first I've heard of it. Definitely going to try them out on my next oil change.
Also, what's the general thought here regarding magnetic oil plugs? Thought that I might as well ask since we're on the topic.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That oil doesn't look dirty... you are fine.

Dirty will be not translucent at all.
Yes, as people have pointed out, it's just fine and the oil is doing it's job. I thought I knew what dirty was, but I guess I don't. Oh, the innocence...

·
Registered
784 Posts
Yours looks fine. The filter isn't doing a good job if the oil turns black quickly. Some filters work better than others. I have found that the reusable that I have keeps the oil cleaner longer than the others the worse one for me was the k&n the oil was black after just 150 miles or so.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Yup, your bike is done for. I'll take that worthless machine off your hands for $1000 ... ;-) It's good that you are observant about what's going on with your bike!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have same issue add new oil and waiting on the replacement cluth to change filter the bike ha 13,800 mile with OEM filter.. i think this guy that had the bike was worthless.. he is a kid and was extremely hard on it..
Ah, so this is normal then. Good to know! I've only changed the oil and oil filter once on this bike. Don't know if the previous owner changed the oil before. Doubt it since I pulled out the OEM oil filter.
cadd, it was worth noting that you mentioned Blackstone Labs. It's the first I've heard of it. Definitely going to try them out on my next oil change.
Also, what's the general thought here regarding magnetic oil plugs? Thought that I might as well ask since we're on the topic.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts