Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I am at say 45 mph cruizin what gear should i be in or what rpm is suitable for cruizing at a certain speed. Is it better to be in fourth at 5500rpm or 5th at 4000rpm? Is it ok to cruise on the highway at 65 in 5th gear? Please elaborate
thanks

·
Registered
865 Posts
Thats personal preference... I like the lower rpm's myself to save on gas, but no harm will come of running at a higher rpm.

But why would you want to? uses more gas...louder..more vibration.. etc... if you need to accelerate quickly, just downshift, only takes a sec.

I run in 6'th going 25 and 6'th going 70 on the highway, just because it saves on gas keeping the rpm;s low, and unles im climbing a huge hill, i dont need to downshift.

Now with the 15t front sprocket installed... I find myself using 5'th gear mroe for lower speeds than 6'th, keeps the rpm low and has mroe torque.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Just a hypothetical:
Full throttle in 6th uses more fuel than down shifting and using 10% throttle even when doing much higher rpm. Just keep an eye out for the economy light on the lcd panel and you'll see my meaning. :cool:

·
Registered
958 Posts
Don't worry about what gear your in verses how fast your going, if you have enough rpm to move you as fast as you want to go, then your fine. What you do need to be concerned about is lugging the engine. If your in a high gear and going really slow and roll on the throttle, this will lug the engine. This is very hard on the engine and other drive line components, so if your going 30mph in 6th gear, your probably lugging the engine.

Reactions: itsluis
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.