Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I left my bike in the garage for about 2 weeks and just haven’t had a chance to ride it during this cold season and today went to attempt to start it and this is what happened.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Hello, and welcome to the forum.

This sounds like a battery issue: either your battery is simply drained and needs charging, or the battery is bad and needs replacing.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Take the battery out and have it tested at your local Autozone. If it’s the battery, go to Walmart and buy a battery trickle charger. They are less than 20 bucks. If the battery is
still good, leave it hooked up to the bike during the cold winter months.

·
Registered
400 Posts
If it's going to be sitting now, you should do some maintenance as well if you want it to start later.

You need to add the appropriate amount of fuel stabilizer and run it enough to circulate it through the entire fuel system and injectors. Fill the tank to the top as well.

Changing the oil/filter now is the best for storage.

Do all the other maintenance like adjusting/lubing the chain, cleaning the air filter, checking fluids, etc...etc... so you are ready to go later. Your battery may be toast. Only way to know for sure is to fully charge it and do a load test. I charge my battery about once a month or so at 1A, but don't have a maintainer. Original Yuasa battery lasted about 8 years, but most last half that depending on quality.

Do you have a volt meter? If not pick up an inexpensive one and we'll tell you how to check the battery.

·
Registered
94 Posts
If it's going to be sitting now, you should do some maintenance as well if you want it to start later.

You need to add the appropriate amount of fuel stabilizer and run it enough to circulate it through the entire fuel system and injectors. Fill the tank to the top as well.

Changing the oil/filter now is the best for storage.

Do all the other maintenance like adjusting/lubing the chain, cleaning the air filter, checking fluids, etc...etc... so you are ready to go later. Your battery may be toast. Only way to know for sure is to fully charge it and do a load test. I charge my battery about once a month or so at 1A, but don't have a maintainer. Original Yuasa battery lasted about 8 years, but most last half that depending on quality.

Do you have a volt meter? If not pick up an inexpensive one and we'll tell you how to check the battery.
8 years WOW, that has to be a record!!! I never had a conventional battery last longer than 5 years even with a trickle charger. But usually on my Gixxer’s the stator or rectifier would go and kill the lead battery. I have lithium batteries in all my bikes now as well as a lithium trickle charger. The oldest one I have now is 4 years old, curious to see how long it last. They claim it last up to 10 years. They all weigh in around a pound or less!!!🏋️‍♀️🏋️‍♀️🏋️‍♀️

·
Registered
442 Posts
My 2013 has been on its original battery until 2020, seven years. The battery was running very strong until the alternator failed, then the battery drained and it was gone. Hadn't the alternator failed, who know how long it would have lasted.

I also plug my batteries to the trickle charger once a month.
when I looked for a replacement, no wonder the original battery, branded Kawasaki, retailed for $180 at a OEM parts website !! I just got the equivalent Yuasa for $55 :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts