Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I need a bike lock for when I ride somewhere like target, Home Depot, Walmart, mall. I lock the ignition wheel stock lock. Should I buy a disc lock or a chain lock to go through the wheels? Also where can I store the lock on the bike while I ride?

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
under the rear seat or a backpack.. If you are going to buy something at target, Home Depot, Walmart, mall, how to do you plan on getting it home? Stock the lock in the same location :D

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
grab a disc lock, preferably one with a loud alarm for when someone tries to sit on your bike

·
Registered
652 Posts
I like using the disc lock on the rear (since it's more trouble to remove) with the reminder cable so you don't try to leave without removing it. I got whatever the dealership was selling.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I don't think the exact lock is important so much as having one in the first place. A lock is simply there to deter the casual thieves and vandals; a determined person is still going to steal the bike. External locks like cable locks or disc locks are better because they can be seen while the fork lock cannot (not to mention that it's incredible easy to break). Any audible alarm can only help as an additional deterrent.

·
Registered
652 Posts
how it is any less easy to remove on the rear?
I wasn't clear. The front wheel is easier to remove. Or it's easier to lift the front wheel and roll a bike away than the rear wheel. So a disc lock on the rear wheel is a bigger deterrent.

·
Registered
993 Posts
There are disc locks with motion alarms, even one that will page the key fob.

·
Registered
839 Posts

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I just found this...I imagine this is the most difficult security chain in the world to defeat..omg, just look at it! 19 mm!

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I like the idea, but 3/8" is only 9.5mm which is doable for many large bolt cutters. I would still want at least 14-15mm for a motorcycle so the thief would need access to 45" bolt cutters or risk really loud power tools. But keep in mind, hardened steel is susceptible to bolt cutters. Softer steel is more susceptible to angle grinders. But only the highly engineered hard outer, soft inner chains are resistant to both.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I like the idea, but 3/8" is only 9.5mm which is doable for many large bolt cutters. I would still want at least 14-15mm for a motorcycle so the thief would need access to 45" bolt cutters or risk really loud power tools. But keep in mind, hardened steel is susceptible to bolt cutters. Softer steel is more susceptible to angle grinders. But only the highly engineered hard outer, soft inner chains are resistant to both.
if someone was that determined then they are gonna get the bike regardless if 9.5mm or 15mm chain....realistically.

has worked great for us, I also have motion lights facing our bikes and two VERY protective dogs...so if they beat all those odds they deserve the bike lmao

·
Registered
399 Posts
xena xx6.

I thought the only color choices were stainless and yellow. Their website shows the lock in black too.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
I have a Xena XX-14 and I can't get it to fit beneath the seat at all unless I were to remove the top tray first. Would you be able to do a demo of how you got yours to fit beneath the seat?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts