Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I am trying to ride 30 miles per day until I can get this brutal break in done. I want to see what is past 4500 rpms so badly I am cramming to get the break in finished. As of tonight, I am at 306 miles. I have been feeling really good during my rides and I have bonded with my ninja. Well, I officially got reminded about 50 times tonight that I have much to learn:

1.) I bet I passed about 25 deer tonight near the roads (no exaggeration). They were out in force trying to kill me. I got to test my ABS tonight at one point.

2.) I had two skunks run across the road in front of me. Both at different times.

3.) I drove across water on a curve

4.) I saw a lady run a stop sign right as I was about to go.

5.) I had a surprise car come flying out of a sub division.

6.) I had a guy fly up on my tail as I was slowing down to cross back over the water in that same curve later on.

7.) I witnessed countless people not using signals.

I am sure that more happened but these were the highlights of my ONE HOUR RIDE :)

I am humbled and plan on revisiting some of my MSF training material and my Proficient Motorcycle book just to make sure I am on top of my game.

· Registered
562 Posts
inb4 the "don't worry about the 4K RPM thing" crowd.

Sounds like you had an interesting night! The fact that you made it through without incident is good! Stuff like that isn't ever going to go away (people are always going to be stupid, wildlife are always going to be a bunch of jerks :p), so it's best to just get used to it.

· Registered
540 Posts
Be aware but don't be petrified. You're in control. IF you need to slow down, do it.

MSF skills that need to be practiced again is slow speed maneuvers. Find a parking lot to practice this. These practice sessions will save you from dropping the bike. I'm actually due for one of these sessions now! Can never be too proficient at slow speed control.

· Registered
1,025 Posts
It's true what people say, when your riding just assume everyone is out to kill you, and you'll be ready for anything.

Also for some reason I'm reminded of what 3 time Grand Prix champion Kenny Roberts said in the documentary Faster, "it's like a video game with the element of danger" ;)

· I ♥ Borat In A Thong
1,183 Posts
Honestly I'd just say that's an almost typical ride. My buddies say that I have "bad luck" and "everyone is trying to kill me on the road" because I have all the stories of idiots out there and they don't.

I consider it being, "I am just more aware of my surroundings than them and pay more attention to what other people are doing than they do."

What do you think is better.... that you noticed ALL of these dangers and were able to recount all of them

OR

You noticed only 2 deer, noticed the water only the second time around and only saw the guy who came flying up behind you.

Better to know ALL the dangers and be overly cautious than completely oblivious.

· Registered
1,105 Posts
My friend and I had a conversation with an old fart about riding down here and we were reminded to do the "what if" everytime we seen something on the road. Like seeing the deer, "what if" one darts out in the road (what do you do?), "what if" granny doesn't see you and she pulls out? "what if" that guy behind you gets any closer? When we got home after the ride we discussed the "what ifs" we seen, we came up with about 20 or so each. We now do that on a regular basis after each ride while sittin' and bullin' and suckin' up some adult beverages, LOL, usually turns into a bitchin' session about stupid drivers and riders.

· Registered
177 Posts
Getting "past" break-in

Here's what I did. Have had the 300 for seven weeks, last Tuesday I put 226 miles on it just puttin' around ( some in the Valley, rest on Blue Ridge Parkway) now right at 1,000 miles. For the first 250 miles I stayed below 4,500 rev's, varying load and rev's due to terrain. Changed my oil & filter at 295 miles, then gradually ramped-up the top rpm as miles piled-on. By the time I passed 500 miles I was turning up to 6,000 as the manual says. From there on: 6,500 at 650 miles, 7,500 at 750 miles, to around 8-9 thou coming up on the 1,000 mile mark; at which point you're O.K. to rev-it as you want. I haven't been over 70 mph (yet) which equates to 7,500 rpm. Maybe because I have owned (broken-in) 40+ new machines, or due to age 60+, the entire process has been tedious, mostly due to the low mph in 6th gear at 4,500 rev's = 42 mph. Now the real fun begins. Let'n her rip! These 300's to me are like the Miata OR earlier, the 240Z were to the automotive community; "back in the days". It is all about enjoyment and the pride of ownership, not size. They're little giant-killers in the turns. BTW, dodging deer is a big part of riding, particularly here in the Virginia foot-hills.

· Registered
934 Posts
Sounds liek your from ferndale NY with those type of situations coming up so often! hahaha... no exaggeration... I did a night time commute for an internship over some mountains for 4 months... oh man... I installed HUGE! lights on ym car.. was ridiculous how many times i almost died...
Every day was basically the same ride as your described...

its not always what you know and how inexperienced you are, it about the other idiots around you most of the time, and how you can handle that. idiots includes animals lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.