Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I usually do these at the same time about every 4 weeks but never know what to do first either clean and oil the chain or clean and wax the bike. The problem I find if I do the chain first I feel then when I hose down the bike I lose half the grease/oil I just applied while cleaning the bike, on the other hand if I wash and wax the bike first then I do the chain. After the first ride I have oil sprayed on my sing arm /fairing!! Just wondering what you guys do?

Thanks

Bigjdoberman

·
Registered
848 Posts
I usually wash the whole thing and spray the chain later.

My Ninja 300 is daily commute, it's not a show bike so I really don't care about small amount of grease going on swingarms or fairings, in fact, I never noticed it nor did I pay attention.

People with more fancy bikes(or who care about it more) will use something like this:
http://www.greaseninja.com/

Maybe you can use chain paste instead of spray?

You can also use chain oiler

But for me, I don't care so I just go like this:

·
Registered
807 Posts
If you have grease/lube flinging off then I think you are applying too much. I usually apply one light layer to the chain and then rub it in with a shop rag or a paper towel

As far as bike > chain or chain > bike, I personally do the bike first always. That way I can spray down the chain before hand and rinse it of any heavy debris. Also, you should probably wax/grease/lube your chain after riding in wet weather, so I think the same would apply to washing the bike.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
If you have grease/lube flinging off then I think you are applying too much. I usually apply one light layer to the chain and then rub it in with a shop rag or a paper towel
^ this.

Spray lube. Let dry for an hour. Take off dirty underwear and wipe lube off the chain. Done. Won't fling.

Seriously, after you lube the chain you need to allow it to dry. The metal parts (plates) of the chain do NOT need lube. Lube is only needed where the two plates meet (behind the O-ring). So, just use a dirty rag and wipe off the excess lube. It doesn't do anything for the chain, except flinging it all over the place.

How I do it:

Use a chain cleaner (it can be a aerosol can of chain cleaner, kerosene, diesel fuel, or even WD-40) to spray the chain. I use whatever I have at hand. Allow it to soak and work its way in the chain to loosen all the crap that's on the chain.

Go ahead and wash the bike. When I rinse off the bike, I spray down the chain with the hose. Most of whatever chain cleaner I used on the chain will come off along with the dirt and grease. Dry the bike.

If my chain is filthy, I'll hit it again with my favorite chain cleaner. Then use a rag to dry chain. I usually wait an hour to allow the cleaner to evaporate. Then lube chain with my favorite chain lube (whatever's on sale). Just a thin coating. Allow to dry for an hour and wipe down the chain with a rag. All done.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all you input guys, My first problem is I'm probably using too much lube (usually go around 3x). Also chain paste looks like it would be less messy? Do you use it? Does it stick to the chain or still splatter?

Thanks again

Bigjdoberman

·
Registered
161 Posts
Spray lube. Let dry for an hour. Take off dirty underwear and wipe lube off the chain. Done. Won't fling.

-----

Aaah! I've always wondered why I should own two pairs. How long do you let the grease settle before putting them back on?

·
Registered
1,780 Posts

-----

Aaah! I've always wondered why I should own two pairs. How long do you let the grease settle before putting them back on?
Hahahahhahahha. I didn't see that coming! :emot-worship:

·
Registered
221 Posts
I commute on my bike in rainy PA so I've learnt to live with it being pretty dirty - one bit of light rain and the rear of the bike is instantly filthy. On weeks like the last one (rained every day) the bike was seldom dry enough to worry about cleaning that much. Once a week is fine. If you get the scheduled clean and lube right the chain will resist a lot of crap, it just won't look great.

As regards the chain lube, it shouldn't be dripping in it, just wipe off the excess with a rag, or use Motul paste; it doesn't fling.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Here's what I do: Foaming engine degreaser (if you're using a commercial motorcycle chain cleaner, that's probably the same thing, just more expensive), let sit for a little bit (30 secs), hit with a three-sided chain cleaning brush (see your local bike store or website), wait a few more minutes, hose off. If this stuff can take the grime off your engine, it cant take the crud off your chain.

Let chain dry. If you want to speed this up, hit it with compressed air while spinning the tire. But walk away and have a beer while it dries.

Next, hit with penetrating oil. Some chain lube makers use this as Step 2 of their system. Not sure it's really necessary, but it can't hurt. Wait a while, wipe off excess with rag.

Finally, apply a clear motorcycle chain lube, let sit, wipe off excess.

No matter how thoroughly I wipe off excess, I wind up throwing excess on my rear rim. After a day of riding, wipe off with a degreaser-soaked rag. No big deal. Better overdo it than replace a chain prematurely.

Cheers,

·
Registered
27 Posts
First I degrease the chain spraying kerosene, brush the chain and rinse it with a hose.
Wash the bike, dry and wax it.
Lube the chain.
And to finish most important part is having a beer with my son who's usually helping me throughout.
Cheers!

·
Registered
373 Posts
Cleaner on the chain...let it dry...wash the bike and chain...dry it...spray on the lube and wipe off the excess (tip: you shouldn't be able to see the lube on the chain)...let the lube dry for a couple hours before riding. Lube does not need to be seen to be effective. It will dry clear and light. When heated, the lube will melt, per say, and spread everywhere. It will fling in all the places you describe. That's why you don't need excess lube on the chain. It will sort itself out.

I use Motul lube and spray on while I turn the wheel manually on a rear stand. Most of the time I won't have to wipe off any excess. I let it dry in front of my house, all shiny and shit. Kick my feet up on my cooler and have a beer.

Reactions: ClutchDumper
1 - 12 of 12 Posts