Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I purchased my first motorcycle a week ago and took it out after it had rained now it's dirty. How do I safely wash it? Do I need to lubricant the chain? Thanks

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hello I purchased my first motorcycle a week ago and took it out after it had rained now it's dirty. How do I safely wash it? Do I need to lubricant the chain? Thanks
I dont know the others but sometimes i wash my bike without lubing the chain. But i do clean and lube the chain once a month.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I lube my chain every time it gets wet, I fear rust building up on it (have you seen what happens when a chain breaks)
I recommend picking up a rear stand ($35 at harbor freight) and cleaning it every chance you get.

As far as washing the bike, I used a water hose on the "shower" setting when I had my 300, For my new bike I always wash it dry by hand to keep from any rust
(And I store it in my entrance, and sometimes in my theater room, so I put it on stands a wipe it down when it comes in)

·
Registered
107 Posts
I lube my chain every time it gets wet, I fear rust building up on it (have you seen what happens when a chain breaks)
I recommend picking up a rear stand ($35 at harbor freight) and cleaning it every chance you get.

As far as washing the bike, I used a water hose on the "shower" setting when I had my 300, For my new bike I always wash it dry by hand to keep from any rust
(And I store it in my entrance, and sometimes in my theater room, so I put it on stands a wipe it down when it comes in)
What do you mean wash dry?
I use the rinseless wash on my bike..

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I wash mine just like i do my car: water, car detergent, dry with a towel; sometimes I'll polish the fairings using Pledge Furniture Polish. then I clean and dry the chain by running it in first gear on the stand, or ride it around for 5 minutes, and finally lube the chain.

It's okay if you wash the bike and not lube the chain as long as you plan on lubing it in the coming days and as long as you didn't wash off the lubricant. If I lived near salt water, then I'd lube the chain immediately after.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I wash my bike just like the car. too. Maybe I'm lazy, but for drying I use a leaf blower. It gets the job done.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I've taken the bike to the self-wash stations a few times. A couple bucks to pressure wash that thing down. Drying is done naturally during the ride :D

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
I wash my bike once a year...right before winter storage. I use a citrus degreaser to spray the road grime off the wheels and wash it with a hose, bucket and automotive car washing soap. I use a leaf blower to dry and go over it with a microfiber towel.

·
Registered
31 Posts
^ I wash mine just like I do with my car also.... Ride/drive when it rains
Yeah I ride in the rain with either Palmolive or Dawn dish detergent in my left hand whipping it back and forth around the bike like a mad man. Then I pull into the nearest parking lot, lube up the bike fervishly, then jump back on and ride trying to stay under the rain clouds

Reactions: Pavel
1 - 12 of 12 Posts