Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rant/Vent: So I had a classmate in my class who rides. I asked her through a website what her suggestion was for a bike, already having a mind set of what bike I want. She told me to NOT get a 250 or 300 because "i won't learn much on it". In her defense, her first bike was a 750 and a year later switched to a 1000 (cbr). I had another friend that commented following hers saying I'll regret getting a 300 and to just start on a 600 because i'll be used to it. He also said the 300 is too weak, which is why i'll later decide to upgrade. I appreciated their opinion but after a while I felt offended by what they said.
I think their ego took over them and speed is what they're looking for.

Has anyone ever tried to convince you to start on something larger than a 300 and how did you handle the situation?

·
Registered
34 Posts
ive had plenty of people at work tell me to start on a 600, they said I'd be able to "handle it." While that may be true, I want to do more than just "handle" a 600 and the only way im going to learn proper technique and gain confidence is thru a smaller, more forgiving bike.

just my opinion.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I think their ego took over them and speed is what they're looking for.
I think you hit the nail on the head there.

Ignore the naysayers and decide for yourself. If you're comfortable doing so, try to test drive a 250/300 and a 600.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with the 300. It's an amazing bike for the money and you shouldn't discount its performance and value, especially for a first bike.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
People definitely told me that a 250 was too small and that I'd get bored fast when I got my first bike. Guess what, it was enough of a bike for me to commute and have fun on for many years and then I replaced it with a 300 instead of something bigger. Hell I'm about to get another Ninja 250.

The most important thing is just that you have fun :D

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree with all of you. I was so pi**ed ugh! I don't think they understand that even though the cc is lower than a 600, it's good enough to learn off of and practice proper techniques on a bike that's more forgiving.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Yup, don't let them sway you towards something you don't want. Some of my friends make fun of the gear I wear, mostly just of the high visibility gear, but I feel better wearing certain gear and I won't let them change my mind.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Every one told me get a 600 im like no i want my ninja 300:) but yeah kinda annoyed of everyone telling my so i was kinda scared the 300 was gonna be slow and what do you know the 300 is as fast as i like it I'm pleased with the quick ness of a little 300 as everyone told me. And the 600 was really heavy and tall for me i couldn't touch the floor with two feet

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
51 Posts
Get the 300, learn proper technique and show them up in the twisties. That's where this bike shines. Yeah they may be able to lay on the throttle and go fast but anyone can do that. In my experience I've had a lot of my friends make fun of me for getting a 300 and as soon as we ride the twisties I leave them behind. The look on their face when their ego is crushed is priceless.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Every one told me get a 600 im like no i want my ninja 300:) but yeah kinda annoyed of everyone telling my so i was kinda scared the 300 was gonna be slow and what do you know the 300 is as fast as i like it I'm pleased with the quick ness of a little 300 as everyone told me. And the 600 was really heavy and tall for me i couldn't touch the floor with two feet

Same for me, I can't touch the ground with a 600 either. 5'7 155lb. Not only that but a 600 costs more than a 300. Not like anyone can tell a 300 and a 600 apart right? ;)

Reactions: GreenSmitten

·
Registered
223 Posts
I am glad I got a 300 to break myself in to permanent riding. It is so much easier to ride and learn the basics on. The 300 is a fantastic bike for what it is. You know yourself better than they do, get what you're comfortable with.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
It's so common I can almost quote people before they say it. Things like you will get tired of that small bike real quick or words to that effect. And the other trend starting out small having a ball then wanting bigger and better so you move up to 500 or 650 then 1000 + and if you move into the cruiser field and the 800lbs machines pretty soon you might as well be driving a car and you've forgotten why you fell in love with motorcycling in the first place. Ah but what do I know? But wait ! I do know I've had bikes from 49cc to 1500cc - owned 15 bikes and been driving now 52 years. And guess what? I worked my way back down to the small fun bikes and having more fun that I had with my 800lb monsters in years. I would advise though go with the 300 over the 250 ninja's there almost two different bikes. Hey I can out accelerate a lot of the cars out there with my little 300 and don't feel the need to go over 100 very much. Now if I can only get help getting this grin off my face :D

·
Registered
368 Posts
Lol I love how I can rev the bike pass 10k rpm without breaking speed limit in the city. Those 600 will be over 90 by the time they're done with 3rd gear. If you do track, then it's great, but for commuting and twisties, smaller displacement bikes are more fun.

I originally wanted a 600 at first, but then I found the ninja 300, I was sold. Cheaper, less insurance, more fuel millage, bigger gas tank than cbr250, and it looks good.

Smaller bike is a lot more forgiving with mistakes than bigger bike. I have zero regret buying my 300. Eventually, I'll own a 636, but I'll be keeping this fun little toy. :)

·
Registered
686 Posts
I believe Spacepod on here went from a Gixxer 750 to a 300. I have had plenty tell me the same thing and it is definitely ego driven. I can keep up with bigger bikes in corners. The bigger bikes are fast on straights but is that really where you realky get to enjoy a bike? My Honda Civic could do 120 down the freeway. Not to mention all the extra cost involved with tge bigger bike. I think kost just get jealous that we dont let our CC envy get in tge way of just pure enjoyment of riding!

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
The problem I've always had with super and hyper sports is that I could never legally use more than 20%-30% of the damn bike's power on the street. Feels like a HUGE waste of money to piss down the drain. Which is why I would never buy a Lamborghini or Ferrari. All that performance that I can't legally or morally even use on the streets. Spend $200,000 on something that I could have spent $15,000-$20,000 that could do what I want and then a little more. Same with the ZX-6R. $12,700 for a bike that I can't use even half way or $5,000 for a bike that can be nearly fully used legally and I don't have to worry about the moral implications of speeding around in traffic and losing control.

OP my first bike is the cruiser in my sig. Got it used and at the time had no interest in sport bikes. Originally had my eye on the V-star 650 or the Honda Shadow 600 but had a close friend talk me out of it due to them being too small for a cruiser. Really wish I went with those smaller bikes. I love my cruiser now, but those other ones would have been a LOT easier to learn on than my 780lb behemoth. It really slows down the learning process when the bike is a relative pig compared to something like the 300. Didn't even realize it till I got on a friend's ninja 250 and another's V-star 250 till I realized how much of a monster my cruiser was. The MSF 250s were the old beat up and barely working 250s and ran and handled ok. The small bikes made after the 90s are heads and shoulders better than what they had at the MSF course I took. I'll still take my cruiser out every once in a while, but I still prefer riding the ninja 300 everywhere I can.

When you get the ninja 300, after a few months of practicing and riding, you're going to be a much more skilled rider than your friends will be. They'll get you when it comes to pure acceleration and top speed(you shouldn't even be concerned with this on streets,) but as another user said, you'll blow them in the more technical areas and turns. Like my buddy who rides a Frankenbike R1 that he cobbled together. I take 90 degree right turns at 22-28 mph and he tends to take them at 15-20 mph and then guns it hard to get through. Too many sport bike riders now a days are under the drag racer mindset. Slow turns, line up, then gun it. Seems like a boring way to ride.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Check their bikes for chicken strips, it'll tell you how much they've learn. :D

·
Registered
497 Posts
I have owned 10 second cars and have gone almost 200 mph. I am 6'2 #230.
I will be buying a 300 for these reasons:
The bike is cheap.
The bike is great to learn on.
I can use all of the gears,so it is fun.
It's a looker.
has awesome resale value
I won't kill myself doing 140 on the back roads.
I can see how appealing the 600 would be for your speed addiction and I feel that is all the more reason to start on a 300.
If you are simply wanting it to look cooler than the next guy or to appease your friends then I would suggest waiting another year before buying it to see if your values have changed by then.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Hrmm...unless my mind is betraying me yet again...I've only seen the bigger bikes wiping out on those "The Snake" vids :p

And "friends" shouldn't care what you ride but that you ride...

·
Super Moderator
2,606 Posts
Guess I should count myself lucky that I'm a short female. No one gives me grief about my bike at all.

But, for those naysayers out there, I recommend you point them to this article: http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/c...da_cbr500r_vs_kawasaki_ninja_300/viewall.html

Love this description, BTW: "At the other end of the spectrum is the Ninja’s eager, undeniably more charismatic gem of an engine, which gets slaughtered on the dyno but still manages to hold its own on the road. You shift more, it’s true, and there are many more occasions when you hold the throttle wide open waiting for something to happen. But the 300 thrives on this treatment, offering satisfying acceleration when you keep it boiling between 6000 and 12,000 rpm. Shorter gearing helps. Pound the shifts, tease the rev limiter, give it the business all day long—the 300 just asks for more. It’s Bill Murray’s masochistic dental patient in Little Shop of Horrors."

Granted that's comparing a CBR500 and not a Ninja 600/636/650 to the 300, but still...bigger is not always better. A long legged blonde or a short, spitfire red head... just ask my husband which is more fun. Sometimes the best things come in small packages.

And if they still give you crap, send them my way and I'll kick them in the ankles. :D

1 - 20 of 62 Posts