Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just have one question wife is 5 foot even about 115 pounds and has a ninja 650r wants a smaller bike but scared that the power loss to a 300 will suck bad she sat on a 300 at the dealer and she's still on her tip toes a little but not as wide of a bike and she feels safer on it but never rode one and don't no any one with one but ever forum we ride people say its a great bike just want to know what you guys really think and feel about a switch in bikes like this ?

·
Premium Member
12,370 Posts
i have been riding road bikes for 17 years, owned CBR250RR, VFR800, K1200RS, K1200LT currently have GSX250F

the 300 is a great bike even for seasoned riders like myself

have a look thru ebay you can get riser/lower kits for this bike, i just wish it was 400cc instead, but for what it is, it sure is great

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your input we did Buy a lowering link from a company called T Rex off-line And we're going to have the tree adjusted but the problem is the bike is still too wide for her and then the lowering link only drops it about 2 inches We even got in contact with the company called nolen suspension and they were going to build the suspension for her but like I said the bike still wide for her little legs She dropped the bike like Two times

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just looked at there Site don't have any thing that I seen to lower a 650r but bike is still wide I want to know about how you feel about a switch from 650r to 300 for a short light Rider is it worth the power loss ?

·
Registered
839 Posts
power vs. safety?

seems like a no brainer to me...

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
She's definitely going to feel a loss of power, but if she's just riding around town, she shouldn't be concerned. It definitely has a good amount of power to ride around safely on the street.

Another option you can look into, if she doesn't want a whole new bike, is to try and lower her 650R. I don't recommend lowering bikes, but in her situation, it sounds like it'd be the best way. (Even on the 300). She'll be more planted on the road, and that will definitely give her more confidence.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Unless your gogin around cruzing at 150 miles per hour, or doing wheelies... your not ever gonna need a bigger bike =D No prob with passing, and keeping up with traffic. The traffic has problems keeping up with me most times! haha

But yeah... its going from a 650 to a 300.. thats half the power... >_> gonanfeel it... but its really worth it in my opinion. lower bike for her though, just so she can touch the ground out fo safety. normally I would never reccomend it. but if u do it properly, its ok.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I've seen 5'2" women ride Hyabusa and GSXR1000. They can't flat foot it but they don't try, they just plant one foot and rest the bike on their inner thigh. If she loves the power and ride of the 650R, she will be disappointed in the 300. The 300r is a great bike with considerable power but it will be less fun due to the power drop.
That is of course assuming she is a throttle jockey and has been really riding that 650r and not just putzing around on it. If she's a beginner to intermediate rider (not knee dragging or doing 100+MPH) then she'll be fine on the 300R.
My wife's first bike was a ZX6R and her top speed was 90MPH, she loves the 300R.

·
Registered
839 Posts
^ I can agree with that statement...

I am only 5'3, that being said I will never be able to flat foot on a bike...unless lowered which I choose not to do. I am a confident rider though and know how to handle my bike without needing both feet planted down flatly.

I somewhat disagree with the she won't like the 300 statement though, as an everyday driver the 300 is PERFECT. Why would anyone need more on a everyday basis? I don't know about yall but doing 100+ isnt on the top of my list of got to do. I think enough death risk present themselves while riding a motorcycle without tossing in another factor to the equation.

I love speed just like anyone BUT there is correct timing for everything.

·
I ♥ Borat In A Thong
981 Posts
I hit 99mph easy going down a straightaway... this bike can still go faster than the top speed limit here in the USA... so yea. Unless you're racing it or willing to face the consequences of being caught... why do you need something that can hit over 150mph?

·
Registered
323 Posts
I somewhat disagree with the she won't like the 300 statement though, as an everyday driver the 300 is PERFECT. Why would anyone need more on a everyday basis? I don't know about yall but doing 100+ isnt on the top of my list of got to do. I think enough death risk present themselves while riding a motorcycle without tossing in another factor to the equation.
I think we did agree here. The gist of my statement was:
If she's not a throttle jockey / extreme rider on the 650r, she'll be fine on the 300.

Even when we agree, it's still a disagreement, are we married? LOL

·
Registered
839 Posts
If she's not a throttle jockey / extreme rider on the 650r, she'll be fine on the 300.

Even when we agree, it's still a disagreement, are we married? LOL
I wasn't only referring to your statement, others have made similar statements on the cc drop and unhappiness ;)

Don't think I ever remember getting married to ya, did ya roofie my drink...darn you!! lol :p

Reactions: thecomputerguy06

·
Banned
1,717 Posts

I am one (throttle jockey/extreme rider) at 210lbs and with a re-gear, tune and exhaust the bike rips just great. You don't have to ever exceed 8K RPM to scoot ahead of traffic even on a bone stock 300. At her weight, just add the +1 CS sprocket and she will fly on it. The bike is a real midgange torquer stock (wierd but true) but geared far too low. Roll on power is great and the strongest character trait of the engine.

She won't miss the 650. I've ridden them, good bikes but for her, the 300 will be more than she needs IMO.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I'm an inch shorter than that and after lowering my bike 2 inches, I don't have a problem. So far I feel like there's plenty of power available. My last bike was a 2002 Ninja 250 so I definitely feel the difference. I never had a problem with highways on my old bike before, so it's a breeze for the 300. There's really no need for any more power.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The short rider delema is frustrating! I am 5" 1', 105 lbs. I was riding a 2005 Ninja 250 that I had lowered 2". Being small, I have been clocked doing 97 mph on the old girl. However, it is so low that it is quick to scrape pegs when cornering. I have been keeping up with 1000 cc sportbikes on the the back roads, although I admit I have to work much harder to accomplish as much. She will have to work harder to pass those mini vans and trucks. That is the main downfall. I feel the fun and confidence I get from a smaller lighter bike is worth it.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I never have problems with power I am passing 2-3 cars at a time on highways yes I know its not safe. And ive hit 100 on the freeway. Unless u need to go faster then 120 this bikes awesome. I love how light it is. U can flick it one side to another. Have ur wife take it for a test ride. I know a guy that went from a cbr600 to this 300 and loves it.and he said it well. Unless ur running from cops or racing theres no need for those bikes

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.