Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to pick up a ninja 300 within a month or so. I’m conlicted at the moment because I would prefer ABS, since I’m a new rider, but really, really don’t like the black/green SE. What are the thoughts on ABS? Check out wet skid videos on ytube – It seems like the demonstrators without ABS are trying to make the motorcycle lean and skid as soon as they hit the brakes. Just seems like they are braking improperly for a bike without ABS. I wonder, if I start riding on a bike without ABS will I even notice I don’t have it?
:confused:

·
Banned
613 Posts
I also noticed as soon as he hits the brakes he turns the handlebars

·
Registered
146 Posts
My first bike purchase last August was a CBR250RA (ABS version). Wanting the white Ninja 300 really bad, the fact it didn't have ABS was a little bit of a conflict for me. A friend of mine who's been riding and has been kinda my mentor on this whole process told me that I should try to learn the proper way to ride a bike and not have ABS.

In the half year I rode the CBR, I never heard the chatter of ABS (and I did have moments where I needed to brake harder than usual).

What happens when you buy the ABS, learn the improper way of yanking on the brake to engage the ABS... then purchase a higher cc bike, which may not have the option for ABS? Not saying ABS is bad, but it might condone improper brake technique.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What happens when you buy the ABS, learn the improper way of yanking on the brake to engage the ABS... then purchase a higher cc bike, which may not have the option for ABS? Not saying ABS is bad, but it might condone improper brake technique.
That was my thought as well. The propaganda video just shook me a little as I plan on riding in most weather conditions. I'd prefer to learn proper braking technique, as well as proper emergency-braking technique. It's probably a good thing to know regardless if you ride ABS or not.

·
Registered
38 Posts
If you don't understand what is happening in the video and think the rider is turning the front wheel on purpose you obviously don't understand motorcycle physics.

Aside from cost and stunting, there is no reason to not have ABS on motorcycles. ABS has been a great addition to cars and typically the people that need it the most are the ones that don't understand what it does.

ABS's main purpose is to allow you to maintain control during hard braking which is more important on a motorcycle than a car.

·
Banned
613 Posts
we do trackdays in the rain and I have never seen anyone crash cause they locked up their front tire. They are also braking alot harder at a lot faster speeds, with alot better brakes than the 300.

Videos Bologna

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
If you don't understand what is happening in the video and think the rider is turning the front wheel on purpose you obviously don't understand motorcycle physics.
<---new rider. explain motorcycle physics. I'll entertain the possibility that the wheel is somehow being jerked to the same side every time from applying the brake 100%, but still -- that isn't proper technique for emergency-braking in rain...

Why is it that these guys don't lock-up, turn the wheel and nearly fall over at 80mph?:rolleyes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6kO6ltk3a0

·
Registered
292 Posts
ABS brakes only kick in when you would normally be braking traction in the first place.
Assuming that the ABS will cause you to learn improper braking technique solely because it was there shows that you had no interest in learning proper braking in the first place.
It's there as a safeguard against locking the tires, not as a crutch to use in everyday braking.

I have the ABS and I've never been in a real life situation where it's kicked in because I know how to properly brake. I can make it work by slamming on the brake pedal or lever if I want, however.
If anything it can be a useful training aid to learn how hard you can grip the brakes at high speeds without fear of losing control.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
It's there as a safeguard against locking the tires, not as a crutch to use in everyday braking.
If anything it can be a useful training aid to learn how hard you can grip the brakes at high speeds without fear of losing control.
Makes sense. Trying to justify holding off on getting ABS right now as I don't really want to spend an extra 700 nor do I want the SE black/green scheme. That propaganda video just scared the crap out of me.:eek:

·
Banned
613 Posts
The key to not being in a crash(with another person which is the most dangerous) is keeping a bubble. As long as you keep distance from everyone else your chance of a crash is reduce a significant amount.

Increasing this bubble in the rain help you out even more.

·
Registered
292 Posts
<---new rider. explain motorcycle physics. I'll entertain the possibility that the wheel is somehow being jerked to the same side every time from applying the brake 100%, but still -- that isn't proper technique for emergency-braking in rain...

Why is it that these guys don't lock-up, turn the wheel and nearly fall over at 80mph?:rolleyes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6kO6ltk3a0
In the first video they have sprinklers running a sheet of water across the track and the rider intentionally tries to lock up and stay locked up; in the second video they're riding on a wet track with no water sitting on top and the riders are trying their best to stop without locking up.
So in conclusion, no real comparison between the two on stability of the bikes can be made.
Also the guy in the first video has training wheels on his bike so he doesn't care what happens when he slips, confidence makes a big difference.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Makes sense. Trying to justify holding off on getting ABS right now as I don't really want to spend an extra 700 nor do I want the SE black/green scheme. That propaganda video just scared the crap out of me.:eek:
You can always paint your bike after you get it. Not that hard to get all the fairings off. black and white were too boring to me.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Adam, what I was trying to compare was the fact that the guy with the training wheels is intentionally locking the brakes up whereas the riders in the other video are braking the way everyone should (to not lock up). The first video would have been more realistic and true had he attempted to brake properly (and perhaps still locked up and fell).

·
Registered
115 Posts
I got the ABS with the intention of never using it. I have ABS on my car and I don't think I've ever needed it. Defensive driving is the best tool, but being prepared is part of it. I want to know that I can stop safely in an emergency, and ABS will help. I want to be able to stand and squeeze the brake like my life depends on it; because it might. I put it in the same category as my jacket gloves, boots and helmet. I never want to test them in a real situation, but I have a realistic view of what they can do for me if I need them.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I have ABS on my bike (activated it once) and the way I look at it is that it's for unexpected things. I listen to riders all day long saying how they are great riders, they don't want ABS and new riders should be able to brake without locking up the wheels. You can train forever, but you can't train for the unexpected (like the mom in the SUV who pull's in front of you while talking on the phone). So I'm all for ABS and I believe that soon it will be mandatory on all motorcycles. (and I think that's a good thing)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You all bring up valid points that I completey agree with. It should be standard equipment on motorcycles but it shouldn't cost an extra $700.:(

·
Registered
112 Posts
Just because a bike has ABS does not mean a beginner will not learn proper braking technique. Would be complete opposite. Practice braking harder and harder until you can detect the perfect sweet spot for all speeds and weather conditions. Instead of non ABS learning of opps too much brake and down the bike. ABS would reduce your chances of laying your bike down while learning or real world. My 2cents.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just because a bike has ABS does not mean a beginner will not learn proper braking technique. Would be complete opposite. Practice braking harder and harder until you can detect the perfect sweet spot for all speeds and weather conditions. Instead of non ABS learning of opps too much brake and down the bike. ABS would reduce your chances of laying your bike down while learning or real world. My 2cents.
Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Thanks. I think you're right for most riders. It's evident from the testimony on this thread alone that most riders rarely engage the ABS on a daily basis.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts